Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 19, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #38,941 of 46,514
Hmmmm. Interesting. All I read and heard until this point, led me to believe that amplifiers make a much bigger difference in SQ than DACs.
If the DAC isn't great then a high resolving amp/phone will expose that. On lower end gear Amps and headphones obviously made the biggest difference. I I used to believe if the DAC just ok then it's fine..I never understood a these expensive DACs until I simply heard better stuff that exposes that.

It's important to get s DAC that scales or doesn't crumble when you get into TOTL stuff.cI personally think the Modi Multibit is the cheapest way of doing it so far.

May 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #38,943 of 46,514
Don't tubes inherently produce harmonic distortions? Pleasant ones but there nevertheless.

What do you actually mean by 'technically better'?
You can get cheap mushy tube amps that sound like gooey sludge lol I used to like them, I don't mind if they have resolving power to back them up. I think the problem is is that many still think that is what amps are.

I thing a big problem is also there's so many crap tube amps out there that amps like the DNA Sonnett 2, Zana Deux, and good performing low priced amps like Mid Night Blues Mini etc will get overlooked. Most tube amps I've heard have sucked but that's not because tube amps suck, it's that most just are made with crap parts. The WA7 is a good example it sounds like a veiled, gooey warm mess and it's around what, £800? The Bottle Head Crack can be had for £350 with the speedball and has some of the nicest treble timbre, and best slam you will find even with it's resolution issues.

What I mean by technically better is that TOTL tubes have less compression, more rounded staging, better dynamics, slam, plankton extraction and sound wise they have a more correct timbre. Now I'm not saying everyone will agree; best many have simply not heard TOTL amps and assume that just because low end SS sounds better than tubes that all are like this.

I've spoken to many tube manufactures and all have agreed tubes are superior to SS assuming we are talking about well made products here. Like I said though there's some very good SS amps out there that can compete well. It's also human nature to let ones sound preference get in the way of what is actually technically superior.

It's a subjective hobby you will run into many who agree and disagree with my statements, it's life; choose your own path and try many to form your own view :)

May 19, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #38,944 of 46,514
That's the thing though, what objective data do you have to back up that tubes are "technically superior" to solid state? If you said that you prefer Tubes and in your mind they are the best, that would be fine and I wouldn't care if true or not, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it like everyone else, but you are stating it like it's a fact so I want to know why.

May 19, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #38,945 of 46,514

I've spoken to many tube manufactures and all have agreed tubes are superior to SS assuming we are talking about well made products here. Like I said though there's some very good SS amps out there that can compete well. It's also human nature to let ones sound preference get in the way of what is actually technically superior.

If I was a tube manufacturer I would tell you the same thing.

On another hand, exactly how many tube manufacturers do you think there are???

May 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #38,946 of 46,514
I would imagine almost any TOTL SS amp is "technically" better than a valve amp. Like tractors tend to be better than horses. Not so characterful but far more efficient.

May 19, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #38,947 of 46,514
That's the thing though, what objective data do you have to back up that tubes are "technically superior" to solid state? If you said that you prefer Tubes and in your mind they are the best, that would be fine and I wouldn't care if true or not, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it like everyone else, but you are stating it like it's a fact so I want to know why.
I would suggest you go compare TOTL tube amplifiers and compare them to SS. I can share a big chunk of information but links to this particular site and banned.

May 19, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #38,948 of 46,514
Endless circular discussions about tube vs. ss are better suited to threads specifically for that topic.

On this thread, we prefer to have endless circular discussions about whether the HD650 is veiled or not. :deadhorse:

May 19, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #38,949 of 46,514
Endless circular discussions about tube vs. ss are better suited to threads specifically for that topic.

On this thread, we prefer to have endless circular discussions about whether the HD650 is veiled or not. :deadhorse:

I think it's valid for those looking for end game and choose the HD650. That said I think it's gone a bit further.

May 19, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #38,950 of 46,514

Quoted for truth...

May 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #38,951 of 46,514
This discussion of tube amps being superior to SS amps is kind of pointless, since there's no universally agreed upon definition of "technically better."

With that said, would most here agree that the HD 650 sounds subjectively better with tube amps as opposed to SS amps, or are fans of each more or less evenly split on this?

May 20, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #38,952 of 46,514
Tube amps can be all around the place in terms of sound signature and sound quality.
SS amps are all closer but you'll still find better and worse SS amps for one reason or the other.

SS vs Tube is an oversimplification of a much more complex topic. Not that useful in my book.

HD650 is a warm and slightly darkish headphone by nature.
Upper midrange has some precense to it that some people don't enjoy then use coloured amplifiers to smooth that out somehow.
Some people always want more bass, then prefer amps with very high output impedance.
Some people listen to some Jpop with tons of low quality treble then pick the HD650 and prefer the sound using a tube amp with rolled off treble.
A quality SS (or clean and neutralish tube amps) would work for those who enjoy HD650 as it is.

Recordings and personal preferences play the bigger role most of the times.

May 21, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #38,953 of 46,514
Is the Chord Mojo alone enough to drive HD 650s?
If not can you recommend me some good over-ear headphones with similar performance around 450-600$?

May 21, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #38,955 of 46,514
Picked up a new pair of HD 650 from Best Buy for $315 (+tax) -- what a great price for these headphones! I don't know whether I believe in burn in or not, but I'm just allowing them to "burn in" by listening to music as usual.

I can't wait to get my HD 600 back (which I loaned to my nephew) so I can compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back