Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #4,966 of 12,385
  I'm open minded to someone else their arguments/answers :)

Don't ask a question when you are going to doubt the likely answer. State the question with the doubt included. Like this:

"Would it work if you put this or the Schiit Wyrd before the Mutec MC3+ since, I think, it has galvanic isolation?"

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #4,967 of 12,385
  I did try all the usb plug, nothing fix it
I do not experience the noise with the yggdrasil connected to my headphone amp, only with my speaker amps
I use a PC desktop
I have tried 3 different usb cable

Got another computer in the house?  Try to connect it to that one. Some motherboards are having a lot of noise on the USB-ports and also have not stable 5-v power. Apple laptops mostly too. A schiit wyrd would help then. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #4,968 of 12,385
  Got another computer in the house?  Try to connect it to that one. Some motherboards are having a lot of noise on the USB-ports and also have not stable 5-v power. Apple laptops mostly too. A schiit wyrd would help then. 

I tried another amp and now the noise is gone
problem was my two DIY amps somehow
no problem with  my Sony ta707

thanks a lot

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #4,969 of 12,385
Hey folks, just a note, Schiit is out of stock on the Yggy.  If you're looking for an in-stock Yggy we have one, and an MJ2 as well.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 24, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #4,970 of 12,385
2nd Yggy in the house!
Put this one with my better system.
Out of box already sounds great with acoustic/ vocals.
Sounds a bit hot with dynamic content. And the bass is not there yet.
But this time I know what to expect. I anticipate it will sound exceptional.
Ordered 4/15. Arrived today. Took a black unit because "2 week wait for silver."

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #4,971 of 12,385
About how long does it take for the Yggdrasil to burn in?
I've had it turned on for 19 hours so far

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #4,972 of 12,385

I'd give it 300 hours before you do any critical listening.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #4,973 of 12,385
Schiit said a week for a new one and I agree after that if it is turned off for any length of time it takes at least 24 hours to get back up to temp. For me this is real and not imagined.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #4,974 of 12,385

I think they say 200 hrs.
My used unit started to sound good at 150, great at 200. It keeps improving for a good while.
I'm still not clear on how much faster it burns in with play time vs just on time.

Apr 25, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #4,975 of 12,385
Yes, reports (from early owners) mentioned around 200 hours, playing music not critical.

Mine sounded good from the start. I didn't look for improvements over time as I wasn't able to listen regularly - but (Yggy left on of course) I noticed distinct improvements anyway.

Apr 25, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #4,976 of 12,385
Same here. Mine sounded fantastic from Day 1. It might have sounded best by the 200 hour mark, but it's still continuing to amaze me with each passing day. (It's now well over 8,000 hours). Yes, it's THAT good. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #4,977 of 12,385
  I tried another amp and now the noise is gone
problem was my two DIY amps somehow
no problem with  my Sony ta707

thanks a lot

When using your DIY amps, are you using the RCA or balanced outputs from yggy? Do the amps have a 3-way or 2-way plug on it?

I ran into an issue long ago when I had a speaker amp with a 2-way plug hooked to my pre-amp via RCA's. I had to run a ground wire to the amp's chassis to break the ground loop.

Just a thought. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #4,978 of 12,385
  Would it work if you put this or the Schiit Wyrd before the Mutec MC3+? 

I have experimented with putting the JCAT USB Isolator (aka. Intona) in front of the MC3+ and to be honest, I'd say the order of improvement heard probably isn't quite worth the cost of doing so.
The MC3+ is already isolated and does a very good job at it.  Putting another isloator in-front of it (in my experience) only leads to a very slight lowering of the noise floor at best.

A much (as in - WAY)  bigger improvement for me was the recent addition of an isolation transformer to my setup.  I can honestly say this IS something worth investing in if you don't already have dedicated power runs to you setup.

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #4,979 of 12,385

I have experimented with putting the JCAT USB Isolator (aka. Intona) in front of the MC3+ and to be honest, I'd say the order of improvement heard probably isn't quite worth the cost of doing so.
The MC3+ is already isolated and does a very good job at it.  Putting another isloator in-front of it (in my experience) only leads to a very slight lowering of the noise floor at best.

A much (as in - WAY)  bigger improvement for me was the recent addition of an isolation transformer to my setup.  I can honestly say this IS something worth investing in if you don't already have dedicated power runs to you setup.

The ISO Regen or Schiit Wyrd also act as power-hub right? Making sure that the power stays 5v on the USB-line? 

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #4,980 of 12,385
ok... 

i just purchased a Topaz 91095-32 Ultra Isolator Line Noise Suppressor​ rated @ 500 VA and capacitance of .0005pF.

Am I to plug just my audio gear into it (Yggy included...wanted to stay on topic) and computer into a different power source, or does everything plug into the same power source?

this (I promise honey, honest) will be the last tweak for my main system as there aint nothing left to tweak (I think)

Users who are viewing this thread

• G0rt
Back