Schiit Mani
Sep 12, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #91 of 144
I have an RP40, very similar to your new RP3, I keep all my gain at low now, but I did used to run it with the same settings that you are using. No problem running the Mani either way. It all comes down to what your ears prefer.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #93 of 144
They make a unit for the MANI, as well as others. They also will make one for your specific application if requested. It does have a 2 hole connector that screws onto the back, and the other end is for the connector to your equipment. They don't ship with the power connector for the AC, but a standard 3 prong type for your computer fits. Took a couple of weeks to get made and shipped to me. Pretty quick and they pack em well.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #94 of 144
  I have been very happy with my Schiit Mani. I use it with my Rega RP40 with the Elyss 40 cart > Mani > Valhalla 2 > HD800 or DT990 or usually Valhalla 2 > Bob Latino M-125's > Technis sb cr33's.

I had previously had a AT LP120 as my first TT. I was happy with it at first because it added something cleaner to my music that Pandora never had. But I could tell that the AT LP120 just didn't do my bass filled music any justice. So, I decided to remove the phono pre-amp in the TT and use the Mani with it. Well in the process of removing the pre-amp I destroyed the cartridge in the process. So, I cussed for a minute, sat down and decided to upgradefully and bought the Rega RP40 new.

Having let them both play for 150+ hours now, I couldn't be happier. The bass extension is finally there. It also sounds cleaner and I love vinyl even more now. Who knows if it's the new TT or the Mani. 

Hey there, 

I too have the AT-LP120 and am considering removing the built in pre amp too. I have been recommended the Schiit Mani, so this is reassuring that someone from a similar position has gone this route. 

Did you find it easy at all removing the pre amp?

Also I don't know if you know much about this kind of thing, but I use active studio monitors and am thinking about how I'm gonna connect the turntable to my monitors via a pre amp once I've removed the internal one, any ideas? 

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #95 of 144
Follow the YouTube videos for the removal process, it is not hard, you just need patience. To connect to active monitors I suggest connecting the Mani to a preamp with balanced output.
Good luck to you.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #97 of 144
  Isn't the mani already a preamp, why would I need two pre amps?

The phono preamp in the Mani has a fixed output. The second preamp is your 'control center'.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #101 of 144
  Is there no kind of pre amp with a controllable output? And is there no kind of standalone volume controller I can connect the pre amp to without having to get another pre amp?

Get a Schiit SYS.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #102 of 144
Schitt sys is ok, I have it. But the JDS OL switcher has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. I found I needed this because I run a cd player and a TT to a headphone amp and my powered monitors. There are also "simple volume control knobs with one in and 1 out such as the TC level pilot and the Emotiva control freak. 

If you are just looking for volume control and not a switch, I really love the DBX goRack. This is a inexpensive audio processor that allows for volume control, compressor, sub synth, and even several EQ settings. I'm sure the purist of audiophiles wouldn't recommend it (adding processing to a all analog signal, but it is $30 and has a ton of fun options. I personally love the sub synth and messing around with different eq settings on my records. It is all one-button presses on and off too, so you can turn it all off and hear the signal naturally and just use the volume control.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #103 of 144
With the Mani and Jotunhiem with phono, can anyone compare them? Which sounds better? I'm planning on getting the new RHA CL1 balanced iems, they have a amp for over $500, so I'm wanting to get the Jotunhiem instead and I'm getting into vinyl.

Thanks

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #104 of 144
A slightly different query - my system is Rega RP3 with Nagaoka MP110, to a CA 640P, to a NaimUniti, and am wondering how the Schiit Mani compares against the 640P, please? At the moment I'm quite happy with things, listening via B&O H6 phones or Royd Doublets, but there's always something potentially better, isn't there? and the price is attractive. Reviews give the impression that the Schiit Mani would give mid - high end performance, which is what I'd like to achieve. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back