Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #22,201 of 151,220
Those are actually Debut B5's, and it's doing very well with them. I don't play music super loud (no db meter, sorry) but after 2 hours of listening the amp was not very warm at all. Monsoons are rolling through now, so everything is unplugged. As I mentioned, I was using JBL 305's before and so far I'm very impressed with the Vidar/Elac combo. Seems like much more control in the low frequencies, and the dynamics of the music and detail retrieval is much better than the JBL's. I'm far from a "golden ear" though.

I actually bought the Elacs as a bit of a stopgap, the endgame is to have Salk/Philharmonic/?? speakers. I like the Elacs so far though.
Thanks for clarifying, should have noticed the lack of magnets for the grill. The B5's are in my office rig at work connected to a Rag. They certainly outperform the $175 I spent on them.

I'll report back on how the Vidars handle the Uni-Fi line. Probably will test them out with the Rag and UB-5 and then figure out how feasible they are with the UF-5 at 4ohm mono blocked.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #22,202 of 151,220

If you have the $2,000,000 + for this set up...

“Opera Only” his latest creation doubles as a high-end audio amplifier and a work of art. It provides 160,000 watts of power and boasts a price tag of almost US$2.2 million. Its seven-digit price tag is justified by its excellent audio capacity and transformer-like qualities.

Not sure but I think those on this thread will see a much better value in the new Vidar.......'cause do you really need 160,000 watts?

I saw some folks interested in the Schitt Jontunheim HP Amp on this thread.....

Great New Article here JotAmplifier

Do they do it in silver?

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #22,204 of 151,220
No way anything is going to survive a full strike or a near strike. A discharge current of > 50KAMPS with a strike voltage of over 50KV is beyond the arresting capabilities of anything on this planet. Disconnect everything from the 'outside world' when lightning is near.

That's not quite how you do it. Yes, latching to ground and attempting to dissipate the whole strike won't work, but lightning rods take those hits all the time.

The idea is to make a ground window (google it) a single point where your gear interfaces with all protection and system ground. Your equipment with a properly set up ground window and grounding system will float up together to 50kV or more (with no delta between individual components) and drop together as well. Your job is to make sure the ground system is up to the task and provides a better ground than your equipment (typically in a rack) will. It's surprisingly both delicate and tough to do. A single phone line not going through your ground window will defeat the whole thing.

If you really are interested, look for a book called, 'The "Grounds" for Lightning and EMP Protection'. It's out of print now -- it used to be available at a relatively cheap price from Polyphaser.

But I digress... this thread is about Schiit, not lightning or even USB other than Schiit USB interfaces and how your equipment can fail easily.

Bring on the Vidar impressions!

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #22,205 of 151,220
Let's see how they do with a direct strike!

Been there, done that. Used to be a storm chaser, and I was the highest point that day. My ham gear survived; the antenna and coax from it didn't. BTW, the lightning strike sounds very different when your car is the object it finds.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #22,206 of 151,220
DSEStroposcatterdishfromlowerPOV2.jpg

That upper dish is the highest object for two miles in any direction. We never lost equipment there, too, after the Polyphaser gear was installed. (We hams had free run to play with them for a number of years, on the condition that we bought our own liability insurance.)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #22,207 of 151,220
Since the weather is bad here, I've had to cycle the Vidar off a few times. Power up is silent through the speakers, but there is a slight "pop" when it is switched off. It's not too bad, but slightly disconcerting. When the weather is better I plan to leave it on all the time.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #22,209 of 151,220
Since the weather is bad here, I've had to cycle the Vidar off a few times. Power up is silent through the speakers, but there is a slight "pop" when it is switched off. It's not too bad, but slightly disconcerting. When the weather is better I plan to leave it on all the time.

You shouldn't be getting a pop in your speakers. Try turning it off with your pre in in passive mode and volume turned down.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #22,210 of 151,220
You shouldn't be getting a pop in your speakers. Try turning it off with your pre in in passive mode and volume turned down.

Nope, a small pop is normal as the relay disengages.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #22,211 of 151,220
Thanks all, for the great conversation.
I really appreciate the speaker info. Will be helpful, if I ever have speakers again.
Thank goodness the Vidar launched. Now we relax and look forward to impressions.
To the USB5...
- Seems like a huge tech upgrade over USB2/3.
- State-of-the-art...can you guys license or patent the technology?
- The Eitr is a win for DAC owners around the world. Sales will be impressive.
- Personally, I already have two USB decrappers. I am one of the 1% who had the drop-out problem. Now solved.
- But, now I'm using toslink. It sounds better than USB anyway.

Really looking forward to the MP.
My GMB sounds fantastic, and I look forward to the next upgrade to D/A conversion.

Best,
RCBinTN

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #22,213 of 151,220

Nope, a small pop is normal as the relay disengages.

I always turn the amp off first and power it up last (preamp volume down, as noted). Thanks for the reassurance Jason, that's good to know.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #22,214 of 151,220
Jason,
Will there ever be a LISST set for the Valhalla 2?
The Current Lisst should work for the Input side of the Valhalla (Short guys up front) as it is in the same family as the tubes used for the Lyr and Mjolnir. However I am A bit confused about turning the Valhalla into solid state. We have seen your Huge rack It can't be a space thing. Even if a 6n6p variation of the lisst for the output (Tall rear Tubes) were released Cost wise you are probably over the cost of a magni2uber and damned close to the price of the pure Class A goodness of the Asgard. Both amps put out more power up to 300Ohms than the Valhalla Based on the specs. Actually the Magni2Uber is a power house for its size. Again I am not sure of your purpose but I have a Valhalla 2 and don't want to fire it up for short listening sessions, streaming talk radio or youtube videos of societies rejects doing stupid things so I went with Asgard 2 for a solid state option. I am driving a Pair of 600Ohm DT990's with the Asgard 2 as we speak with no issues. the volume knob is @ 11:00 and its plenty loud.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back