Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 5, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #20,731 of 149,725
Just read the Absolute Sound review of the Yggy they just posted online...

They liked the Schiit out of it...to put it mildly.

I currently have Gumby - anyone had both of these and compared them? If so, how would you characterize the diffs?

Probably can't afford one right now, but one can dream :L3000:

Thanks

I had Gumby in my main system for a month while they were replacing the USB board in my Yggy. I didn't shed any tears that month, rather was enjoying how great Gumby sounded there. It's a very close relative. Maybe more forgiving is a term, but the same musical flavor. Was I glad too get Yggy back? Yes, it does better. Do you have a thousand bucks burning a hole in your pocket? By all means get an Yggy and keep Gumby for the best second sound system you can imagine.:L3000: If not, Gumby is too good for it's price, (Mike has accomplished an amazing thing with it) and u should enjoy it and not worry.

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #20,732 of 149,725
Just curious if anyone here did stop by our room at the LA Audio Show? For as many people as we had ask for Diana Krall I figured many were! We didn't put up the Diana Krall Free Zone sign until Saturday. Got a good laugh from most people out of it (and yes, we still played her if someone asked, it's just a long running joke at audio shows).

The Freya/Vidar combo was rockin it big time with both the Maggie .7 and the Tekton Double Impact speakers, whether we were streaming from Tidal, playing Hi Res files (yes, even DSD) from a PC or spinning records.

Really amazed people with our little desktop system, streaming Tidal HiFi through a Fulla2 into Audioengine A2+ speakers for a $350 system.

Networking and driver issues with our primary PC meant we used the Bimby mostly with a CD transport through the COAX input, or the Toslink input playing from a Questyle QP1 (all FLAC, and mostly 24 bit files). That really is a sweet sounding DAC!

Jun 5, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #20,733 of 149,725
How did the Tekton Double Impact speakers sound with Vidar?

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #20,734 of 149,725
How did the Tekton Double Impact speakers sound with Vidar?
A really good combo. Though the Double Impact is very high efficiency, it also has very high power handling capability. The Vidar really controlled the bass well and whole system was shockingly dynamic. In spite of how 14 tweeters look, they system was not bright at all, extremely smooth extended top end.

What was equally impressive was how well the Vidar handled the Maggies. They are far more demanding and power hungry, but the Vidar seemed to be great match. The folks from Magnepan were a little concerned at first, but came by to check our setup before the show opened and were very impressed by how the system sounded. They did not expect an amp at this price point to drive them so transparently.

Only kicked the Vidar's protection circuit on once. Someone played with the volume control on the Freya while I was changing from Tidal to JRiver on our PC, and when I hit play it was running at full volume into the Maggies. After a couple tenths of a second of painfully loud noise the amp shut off. Powering the amp down and restarting it was all it took. The speakers survived.

I'll have more to say later. I'll be setting the Tektons up at home this weekend and hope I get to hold on to the Vidar for an extra week or so. It will be interesting comparing it to the other three 100 wpc amps I have here (Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso, B&K ST140 and a tubed Jolida JD1000P).

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #20,735 of 149,725
My plan is to buy two Vidars and use them in mono block mode. The Tekton Double Impact speakers are available in both 4 ohm and 8 ohm versions. The Vidar would probably appreciate the 8 ohm version based on what Jason has said in the past. I am curious as to how directional the Double Impact are as well. Have you listed to the Salk Song3-A speakers before? That it another option.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #20,736 of 149,725
I currently have Gumby - anyone had both of these and compared them? If so, how would you characterize the diffs?
There are numerous posts comparing the two scattered through the Gungnir thread, for example:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-gungnir-dac.603219/page-139#post-11857555
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-gungnir-dac.603219/page-192#post-12052446
It's surprising how many people own both of them.
I think the main differences are the Yggy has two extra bits, 21 vs 19, and includes the Adapticlock technology to re-clock digital sources.
Gumby has Adapticlock as well: http://schiit.com/products/gungnir
Yggy has USB Gen 3: http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #20,738 of 149,725
Just read the Absolute Sound review of the Yggy they just posted online...

They liked the Schiit out of it...to put it mildly.

Probably can't afford one right now, but one can dream :L3000:

Thanks
I have had both and sold the Gumby for a Yggy . They are both very good and for 1,200 I think the Gumby is the best dac Ive heard in that price range.
Id say the Gumby is warmer but the Yggy beats it is resolution,soundstage ,timbre. The Yggy with acoustic music is scary good.

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #20,740 of 149,725
Just curious if anyone here did stop by our room at the LA Audio Show? For as many people as we had ask for Diana Krall I figured many were! We didn't put up the Diana Krall Free Zone sign until Saturday. Got a good laugh from most people out of it (and yes, we still played her if someone asked, it's just a long running joke at audio shows).

The Freya/Vidar combo was rockin it big time with both the Maggie .7 and the Tekton Double Impact speakers, whether we were streaming from Tidal, playing Hi Res files (yes, even DSD) from a PC or spinning records.

Really amazed people with our little desktop system, streaming Tidal HiFi through a Fulla2 into Audioengine A2+ speakers for a $350 system.

Networking and driver issues with our primary PC meant we used the Bimby mostly with a CD transport through the COAX input, or the Toslink input playing from a Questyle QP1 (all FLAC, and mostly 24 bit files). That really is a sweet sounding DAC!

Yes, I stopped by a few times and the room was packed every time! Thanks for setting this room up - it's a good reminder to everyone that good sound doesn't have to cost a fortune. I really enjoyed listening to 'Orinoco Flow' by Enya on the Maggies driven by the Bifrost/Freya/Vidar combo. I've listened to Maggies in the past and I always found the sound to be too incisive and 'audiophile' for my taste, but the .7 that you played sounded really good to my ears.

Jun 6, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #20,741 of 149,725
Only kicked the Vidar's protection circuit on once. Someone played with the volume control on the Freya while I was changing from Tidal to JRiver on our PC, and when I hit play it was running at full volume into the Maggies. After a couple tenths of a second of painfully loud noise the amp shut off. Powering the amp down and restarting it was all it took. The speakers survived.

Yes, I had the pleasure of being in the room during that event, and the sound level really made my jump in my seat. Vidar is clearly a very powerful amp.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #20,742 of 149,725
On page 85 of "Old School" (Bill O'Reilly and Bruce Feirstein, 2017) is "A Guide to Old School Businesses vs. Snowflake Businesses." For example;

"What does the company actually do?
Old School: Make Stuff
Snowflake: Disrupt...something while changing the paradigm...with cutting-edge technologies

Most powerful person in the company -
Old School: The CEO
Snowflake: The Head of Human Resources

Key buzzwords -
Old School: Profit, loss, customer service
Snowflake: Incentivise strategize, pivot, personal branding

Company name:
Old School: Something that gives some indication of what the company actually does (i.e., US Steel)
Snowflake: An opaque amalgam of words and phrase that gives no indication as to what the company actually does (i.e. Tronc)"

I'd say Schiit is pretty Old School, except for that last one...

Oh, and Jason, like the new ad. Is it going to run in Stereophile?

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #20,743 of 149,725
Thanks for the info and feedback on Gumby vs Yggy folks - I do tend to lean a bit more towards warm/smoother end of things, so sounds like Gumby may be the right solution for me for right now, rather than trying to break the bank on Yggy.
It's pushing $1400+ in the difference in Canadian funds, that I could likely put elsewhere in my system.

Jun 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #20,744 of 149,725
Thanks for the info and feedback on Gumby vs Yggy folks - I do tend to lean a bit more towards warm/smoother end of things, so sounds like Gumby may be the right solution for me for right now, rather than trying to break the bank on Yggy.
It's pushing $1400+ in the difference in Canadian funds, that I could likely put elsewhere in my system.
I currently have Bimby. Not planning on upgrading for now. I guess right now for my setup DAC is not the bottleneck. Or maybe it will be in the next few weeks?

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #20,745 of 149,725

Users who are viewing this thread

Back