Schiit Freya Impressions and Tube Rolling Thread
Apr 19, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #571 of 3,234
Just received Freya on monday... loving the synergy in my system. So far tube wise i have 4x Sylvania VT-231, 2x Sylvania 6sn7GT bad boys, 2x Ken-Rad VT-231 Black Glass, 2x RCA VT-231 Grey Glass. Lots of combos to try...Right now im listening to rca grey glass in gain stage and bad boys in cathode..of course i will have to try out all combos, but any suggestions on where to start?

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #572 of 3,234
Just received Freya on monday... loving the synergy in my system. So far tube wise i have 4x Sylvania VT-231, 2x Sylvania 6sn7GT bad boys, 2x Ken-Rad VT-231 Black Glass, 2x RCA VT-231 Grey Glass. Lots of combos to try...Right now im listening to rca grey glass in gain stage and bad boys in cathode..of course i will have to try out all combos, but any suggestions on where to start?

Since you have only one quad I would live with that for a while. Then start by putting your differant pairs in the gain stage and see how things change. If you have genuine 1952 "bad boys" with 3 rivet holes they are awesome. And will play well as followers. I found the grey glass too lush for my taste. Definitely doesn't image as well as the "bad boys". The Ken-Rad has incredible bass. That's what I have experienced anyway. You have some great tubes and if you think the two "bad boys" in front of the Sylvania VT231 sounds better than the quad it's a guarantee you will want a quad of "bad boys". My experience so far is if you like a pair in the gain stage in front of your most neutral pair used as followers so you can get a feeling for them they are better as quads. You will be enjoying this. :) Oh, don't forget about the RCA 5692 red base. The imaging that is possible from Freya is marvelous.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #573 of 3,234
I've a maybe stupipd question, but I haven't found it anywhere in the thread.

The sockets for tubes are talked about as

gain stage / output buffer stage in some posts and as  input stage / output stage in others

So frist:

gain stage = input stage
output buffer stage = output stage ?

But as seeing this as obvious I wounder looking at my freya which row is what stage?

front row = gain stage = input stage

back row = output buffer stage = output stage  ?

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #574 of 3,234
  I've a maybe stupipd question, but I haven't found it anywhere in the thread.

The sockets for tubes are talked about as

gain stage / output buffer stage in some posts and as  input stage / output stage in others

So frist:

gain stage = input stage
output buffer stage = output stage ?

But as seeing this as obvious I wounder looking at my freya which row is what stage?

Right row = gain stage = input stage

Left row = output buffer stage = output stage  ?

Fixed.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #575 of 3,234
The Freya manual on the Schiit Audio web site says:

Right tubes = Differential voltage gain stage
Left tubes = Cathode follower output stage

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #576 of 3,234
Here is my first set of Freya tubes:

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #578 of 3,234
I've swapped out the stock tubes today complety and the sound improved really a lot.
I put an matched pair of Shuguang new production in the right, so in the gain stage and at the left in the output stage the "better" Elektro Harmonix matched pair. Which was round about 100€ for a for my ears "dramatic" improvement in sound quality. An the tubes a not burned in yet.

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #581 of 3,234
eschell27 - That looks identical to every picture I have seen of a Sylvania 3 hole Bad Boy. 

I thought I would share what I am rolling at the moment as it sounds superb.  Tung-Sol 6F8G in Gain and NU 6F8G in output.  My other 6F8G is a RCA 6f8g, nice but mellow.  I have a Sylvania 6F8G matched pair coming next week.  If it sounds like my 1954 quad of 6SN7GTAs I will be very happy.  Another favorite combo is Ken-Rad 6C8G in output and 7N7 in gain. 6C8Gs are tricky in the gain position as they have more gain than the 6SN7/6F8Gs.  Ken-Rad has the strongest bass of all the tubes I have.  I want to get a pair of Ken-Rad 6SN7s to compare.  I suspect that 6F8G/6C8G/6SN7 from the same company have a similar sound.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #582 of 3,234
  Is anyone able to verify this is a Sylvania 6sn7GT "bad "boy"? It sure looks like it to me from the pics i've seen.

​A quote from The Referance 6SN7 Thread here on Head-Fi:

"General info:
The "Bad Boys" Sylvania 6SN7-GT was made from late 1951, week 39 ("1/39") to early 1953, week 13 ("3/13").
They have black T-plates -3 holes, Copper grids, Bottom getter, "polished" rectangular mica, green labels on black base."

​The year is a single digit above the two digit week. Looks good. They are very fine indeed.
smile.gif

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #583 of 3,234
  Here is my first set of Freya tubes:

Debating too use Freya as a pre -amp between a custom built Odyssey Kismet amp.( still being built) as a tube buffer  or use the MJR2 which is also a headphone amp. I did have Lyr 2 during Xmas time but ended up keeping a Audeze Deckard love the sound of Deckard  with LCD 2 F. . The Freya or the Mjr 2 will go in the main system which has magi 1.7i a Parasound Halo Integrated  any thoughts on this would be appreciated 

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #584 of 3,234
  Debating too use Freya as a pre -amp between a custom built Odyssey Kismet amp.( still being built) as a tube buffer  or use the MJR2 which is also a headphone amp. I did have Lyr 2 during Xmas time but ended up keeping a Audeze Deckard love the sound of Deckard  with LCD 2 F. . The Freya or the Mjr 2 will go in the main system which has magi 1.7i a Parasound Halo Integrated  any thoughts on this would be appreciated 

My 2 channel system will have both a Freya and a Mjolnir 2. I want a true preamp to feed the amps in the 2 channel system. Plus, when I am sitting in my chair listening to the 2 channel system, I need a remote to control the volume. Freya has that.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #585 of 3,234
Here is another matched pair I will try:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back