S.M.S.L M2 DAC First Impressions
May 15, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #124 of 154
Does anyone who has a SMSL M2 that works also have a humming in one of the analog out channels? It isn't present in the optical output. Only 5 months old, but this slight humming is a show stopper. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #125 of 154
Well, just picked up an M2, and it worked great for 1 day. Right before it stopped working I tried to plug it into my phone (oneplus one) with a GTO cable plugged it back into my laptop and restarted it. I am getting a Code 28 in windows. It still works fine on OSX. Does anyone know the correct ID's? 

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #126 of 154
Well I had this device for a few months with pretty minimal problems. But there were definitely some problems that would make me avoid it.

The first is the horrible EMI hissing from the amp and/or dac. I have no electrical engineering knowledge so I don't know what's wrong with SMSL's implementation, but this thing has significant EMI hissing. Secondly, I thought it might be from my PC's USB bus, but these will periodically crackle and short out for a second or so. I think it's just an issue with the device itself since I've since used my Fiio E10K for several months on the same port without issue. Furthermore, the usb connection is also really finnicky and will disconnect easily and act temperamentally. Sound quality is decent but for the price, the Fiio E10k is so much better. It sounds cold and the low-end lacks detail; overall just not an enjoyable sound signature. I sold the M2 for the Fiio and haven't looked back since. It's more musical, there's no EMI that I can discern, and it's just an overall better product. I will admit that the M2 is better built though and that the volume wheel is a joy to use.

Interesting note is that the M2 has horrible synergy with the Sony XBA-H3. The H3 just plain out doesn't sound good paired with it. It sounds much better with the Fiio, but imho, the H3 really needs a warm source to sound its best.

@energyi This is a late reply, but yes, it's a common issue with the M2. The reason why you're not getting the humming from the optical out is because you're bypassing the amp and DAC and receiving a digital signal. You're basically using it as a usb to optical converter in that case. It's my suspicion that the humming/hissing is caused by the amp, and by bypassing that you're avoiding the issues with it.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #128 of 154
I agree with az060693 that my one channel buzz is in the amp section. No reason this should have gone bad in 5 months. 

Tried to run this POS on Window 10, but has same challenges as previous Windows 7 install (see previous posts in this thread). Worked, then doesn't. Trying to trouble shoot this is too arduous. Suggest anything else unless SMSL recognizes their mistakes and fixes the driver challenges. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #129 of 154
i got my SMSL M2 and worked perfectly. There's a new version of M2 with micro USB port, and it is more friendly with OS environments, no need to install on Windows, just plug and play. same for android. Labelled as "M2 6th anniversary version".

later I'll post the photo. i'm lucky enough to find a local store that imports the product.

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #130 of 154
Unless SMSL can make good on all those whose original M2's didn't work properly with the OS of the day, then they cannot be trusted. Life is too short, and there are too many other viable solutions that do the same thing. Fool me once, shame on SMSL, fool me twice, shame on me. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #131 of 154
i got my SMSL M2 and worked perfectly. There's a new version of M2 with micro USB port, and it is more friendly with OS environments, no need to install on Windows, just plug and play. same for android. Labelled as "M2 6th anniversary version".

later I'll post the photo. i'm lucky enough to find a local store that imports the product.

Just checked SMSL website and Aliexpress, couldn't find anything about M2 6th anniversary 
eek.gif
. Only Sanskrit 6th anniversary, M2 seems to be from 2014. 

Update: ordered the last version, whatever it is. Absolutely no noise over powered USB hub. Plugged straight into the MacbookPro, a little bit of noise on hp out, but horrible unbearable noise on line out. Can not quite understand, shouldn't it be the other way out, line out bypassing the amp section? 

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #132 of 154
I just got my m2 and i it have some issues, it plays music but when i start a game, the sound freeze and it doesnt play a thing while i have that game open.
i used the m2 usb update from this topic but it didnt do nothing.
some help? :D
edit: i saw that if i put the format on 24bit 41k youtube videos dont even start and foobar stops after one song and needs to be restarted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back