Review of the sennheiser HD 598 CS (close version)
Mar 2, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #61 of 95
Just got a pair of these from Amazon for about 90 Euros.

Couldn't resist for that price!

Anyone compared them to the HD 25-1 II?

When they pass the test, they'll replace them, just for comfort alone?

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #62 of 95
Just got mine today and read this thread real quick before asking questions about it, I didn't see any mention of burn in time, or maybe someone said they did a 24 hour burn in for 2 days before seriously listening to these..is that about right? Any ways, these are the most comfortable headphones ever (to date) that I've put on my head. Grabbed them for $81 off Ebay as new (box didn't look new but whatever) and the immediate sound dislike I experienced (also mentioned in this thread page 2) is the high mid distortion. You can't crank these loud sadly because of that.

May 12, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #64 of 95
Just got mine today and read this thread real quick before asking questions about it, I didn't see any mention of burn in time, or maybe someone said they did a 24 hour burn in for 2 days before seriously listening to these..is that about right? Any ways, these are the most comfortable headphones ever (to date) that I've put on my head. Grabbed them for $81 off Ebay as new (box didn't look new but whatever) and the immediate sound dislike I experienced (also mentioned in this thread page 2) is the high mid distortion. You can't crank these loud sadly because of that.
Burn-in is subtle, or close to depending on the headphone, so if you don't like it at first, you most likely won't later.

May 16, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #65 of 95
Picked up a pair today. I got them as a suppliment to my beloved HD 598s (original series, not the SE.) Right out of the box they sound great. Echoing what others have already said, they have a surprising amount of width and depth for closed back cans. They're definitely more mid-range focused, but with the added bass response it balances out nicely. My best phones are still Beyerdynamic 990 Pros (250ohm) but these exactly what I wanted for an "iPhone drivable" set of closed back cans. Damn good deal at $125.

May 17, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #66 of 95
Funny, I loved these when I first got them. Then, for some reason, I know it's 100% mental - once various reviews stated they have a rather distorted upper midrange, I can no longer enjoy them. It's literally all I can hear now.

May 17, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #67 of 95
Funny, I loved these when I first got them. Then, for some reason, I know it's 100% mental - once various reviews stated they have a rather distorted upper midrange, I can no longer enjoy them. It's literally all I can hear now.

It's not distorted, it is boosted.
EQ is your friend

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #68 of 95
The resonances in the cups due to lack of acoustic dampening doesn't help at all, either.

May 18, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #70 of 95
I bought a pair last week and Im awaiting them patiently for $60. Has anyone had the chance to try gaming with these?

May 21, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #71 of 95
Couldn't do it anymore no matter what I tried. Luckily, I was still within the amazon return policy window and exchanged them for the HD598SE. I nearly forgot how amazing the open back version of these headphones are - simply sublime for the money.

May 23, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #72 of 95
A week in and I'm still really liking these phones. They're not as crisp as the 598, but they do have more bass extension. The highs aren't as clean but they don't sound particularly muted either. These sound best listening to jazz and orchestral tracks (to my ear). The soundstage is surprisingly broad for closed back cans. I do wish they "sparkled" a little more, but the fact that these can be driven easily with an iPhone makes up for it. Plus they sound even better through my Schiit stack.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #73 of 95
Bumping this thread because the more I listen to these the more I marvel that they seem kind of over looked here.

If I were in charge at Sennheiser I'd revise these to match the 599 styling and promote the hell out of them. They sound fantastic for their price point and the soundstage is nearly comparable to the open back 598/99. They've handled just about everything I've thrown at them, from early jazz recordings to Karajan orchestrals to contemporary rock/metal/alternative. Super all-rounders.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #74 of 95
I did not expect them to sound as clear as they do. I got mine for $60 and I have to say I'm happy with the purchase. My only gripe is the pads they use. I just personally don't like the material. I will be buying the 598 replacement pads (or 595 if I can find them to match) ASAP. Otherwise, the classic Sennhesier sound in a closed variety, managing to sacrifice little to get there is present. Been using these directly out of my phone for exercise and I'm happy with the purchase.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #75 of 95
Hd598cs are incredible at 100-150$ range. I love to listen to them despite or rather because of their quirks and foibles. You can plug and listen to them straight from a portable player. Vocals and guitars sound uh-mazing on them. You feel like singing along and rocking out. I would never sell them despite owning much higher end hps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back