REVIEW: Nintaus X10
May 26, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #16 of 42
I solved this....mostly.

They sent me a pair of files which they said work on the player; it was a standard WAV/CUE...so there's no embedded requirement. The part I missed...and they didn't seem to tell me...was you have to start playing the file, press menu, then select "cue playlist". It will then function with CUE points. Worked with WAV and FLAC; but I couldn't get anything else to work. This means there is no way of playing DSD gapless unless you play an entire album with no track-skips. It doesn't support WV at all (and I missed that); nor does the cue option work for DFF or DSF files. It also plays DoP (DSD data packed as PCM data) as standard noise, so that option is out.

Aug 24, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 42
Hello everyone

I hope everyone in this thread gets notified automatically.
There has been a firmware upgrade for the Nintaus X10.

As you all know the Nintaus site is permanently stuck in the nineties so getting firmware from there is not an option.
I bought my Nintaus in january of this year and when I recently checked YouTube to see whether this player had garnered some more fame I stumbled on this
(ofcourse it's in Russian) video
where I saw options that I didn't have on my unit.

In short these are the upgrades:

1. The playback mode setting adds the folder loop playback function.
2. Increase the brightness adjustment mode in the setting.
3. Increase the power saving mode, 1-15 minutes adjustable (default 2 minutes), pause after playing music or standby state, to set the time automatically shut down.
4. Increase the vehicle mode, set the open state, the USB is not powered ,1 minute after the machine automatically shut down, with the car cigarette lighter power off after 1 minute machine will automatically shut down (not in the car use this feature please turn off ,otherwise 1 minute to automatically shut down).At present this feature can not be used, please understand
5. Press the BACK key in the main menu to return directly to the music playback interface.
6. Improve the DSD Some songs do not support the problem.
7. Support DSD64 upgrade to DSD128
8. Lock screen (press the power switch) turntable can directly adjust the volume, the upper and lower song can directly switch songs.
9. solve CUE sometimes the problem of failure to read.
10. Solve APE, WAV, FLAC format No CUE file ,CUE list load failed.
11 to solve the MP3 format to open EQ slow response proble.

If you have:
model number: X10_S
firmware version: V.1.101.10

This firmware upgrade is for you.

I contacted one of the sellers on AliExpress who sold the X10 with the new firmware and she was kind enough to send me a .hex file that did the trick.

The update process went very fast. It was over in about half a minute.
Paste the .hex file into the root directory of your sd card (I did it on a FAT formatted card, but I'm sure something else will work just fine)
turn on your DAP and press auto upgrade.
You will get an updating screen telling you not to turn off your DAP, when it's done your player will turn itself off.
Turn it on again and you're done.

NOTE! BEWARE!
The only downside seems that before you could either have Russian or English as a language and now you can choose between (what looks like) Mandarin and English.
So if there are any Russians who really struggle with English language (which would be unlikely if you could take in the info of this post so far) maybe it's better not to upgrade
as I don't have the older firmware to re-install.

Also album art doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.
Before album art often wouldn't load due to it being too large for the small area the Nintaus assigned it to.
Now it doesn't show up anymore at all, the small hesitation gap you had when selecting a new track does appear to be gone. So you got smoother playback but you do have to sacrifice the album art window.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #20 of 42
Hey!
I need someone's kind help: I've updated my X10 Firmware ( first version, non S ) by mistake with the latest "S" firmware resulting in a complete SD card failure, although the player functions look alright. Exactly after my mistake of updating and ignorance about the existence of the "S" version (with separate dacs) the DAP stopped reading the SD cards, making it unusable and without access to it, I can't really go back and install the previous correct Firmware form the SD card.

My question is: Is there any trick? Can I force a Firmware update any other way?

I pretty much tried to read as much as i could and check alternatives but without success.

My PC recognises the DAP as a drive but when i want to enter it or any other action like format it will say "please insert a disk in to (D:) "

All functions in the DAP seems to be available except any other that need access to the SD drive (Eg: Format, check disk space, etc)

Thanks in advance for any help, idea, suggestion :)

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #21 of 42
Hey!
I need someone's kind help: I've updated my X10 Firmware ( first version, non S )

I need you to clear up a few things:
  • You used the firmware I linked to in this thread ?
  • "the DAP stopped reading SD cards (plural)" ?
  • What do you mean by "a complete SD card failure" ?
  • Have you tried SD cards other than the one you used to install the firmware with ? if yes: how were they formatted (FAT, FAT32, ExFAT) ?
If the new firmware you used really is the cause of the Nintaus being unable to read any SD cards it would strike me as very strange, seeing as the DAP functions fine besides that.
But if it is ... you're pretty much screwed. You can go around and see if there are any sellers of the Nintaus X10 (non S) and ask them if they can send you their firmware.
But other than that, there's nothing you can really do.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 42
Thanks Barnold,
  • You used the firmware I linked to in this thread ? Yes
  • "the DAP stopped reading SD cards (plural)" ? Yes
  • What do you mean by "a complete SD card failure" ? After rebooting from the update the player stopped reading SD cards
  • Have you tried SD cards other than the one you used to install the firmware with ? if yes: how were they formatted (FAT, FAT32, ExFAT) ? Yes, several cards, all format types
The firmware update is definitely the cause for the failure, before it, the DAP was working quite good...
Indeed I have the original working firmware, but without being able to access/use the internal SD card reader, it will be difficult to put it back in order since i have a message of "No Card" from the Nintaus....

I was wondering if it could be possible to flash the firmware via USB????? :wink: If not...recycling bin :p

Cheers!!!

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 42
You have the original firmware as a file ? How did that happen ?

Do you also get the "please insert a disk" when you press "auto upgrade" under the settings ? Even though the DAP doesn't recognise a disk inserted, the "auto upgrade" might still recognise the .hex update file ?
Before you throw your unit away you can perhaps restore with "factory settings" and try to insert an SD card again.

Though all of these will probably be for nothing :frowning2:
Best of luck to you. Luckily it's not a :gem:400+ DAP:gem:

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #24 of 42
The original HEX file was still in the 16G SD that came with it. There's a few places in the Net where we can find the original for download...
The message I get is "Disk error!" after any attempt to access the SD, including "auto upgrade. If I try to format the SD with the DAP, will say "Please wait" forever (left it all night).
Factory reset will put all back in Chinese and the same problem continues... I think I've tried all :)
Oh the problems of the first World! AHAHAH Now seriously, it was a cute player that I got from Penon and for the price quite interesting in sound quality. The seller asked me to send it if it would be broken, but the postage price from Sweden would be almost the same as a new unit...

It was a nice toy that didn't last long - Stupid me, totally my fault!

Anyway thanks for the input!

I might still try the USB flashing approach, if possible and find some practical ideas around...

Best Regards, Mate!

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #27 of 42

If you have:
model number: X10_S
firmware version: V.1.101.10

This firmware upgrade is for you.

I contacted one of the sellers on AliExpress who sold the X10 with the new firmware and she was kind enough to send me a .hex file that did the trick.

The update process went very fast. It was over in about half a minute.
Paste the .hex file into the root directory of your sd card (I did it on a FAT formatted card, but I'm sure something else will work just fine)
turn on your DAP and press auto upgrade.
You will get an updating screen telling you not to turn off your DAP, when it's done your player will turn itself off.
Turn it on again and you're done.…
I tried this and my player tells me that there's nothing there. Is there a special name needed for this update to work?

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #29 of 42
I tried this and my player tells me that there's nothing there. Is there a special name needed for this update to work?
Nope. Just the .HEX file directly in the root directory.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #30 of 42
This is annoying. I have the version that matches the description. I put WHATEVER.HEX in the root directory of the SD card. Nothing. Player says that there is no files(sic). I even tried doing it using the original 16gb card it came with. Same result. I wonder if there's an intermediate version of the firmware. Between what's originally described and the updated version. One where, as doesn't seem all that odd, the version information in the firmware wasn't updated?

Interestingly it appears that its being rebranded in other names too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GOC...pm=2114.10010108.1000015.3.7f197e6fR86kfw&s=p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back