Review: Estron Linum BaX --- New IEM Cable for a New Age
Mar 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #376 of 686
The baX works best with 32ohm headphones like the Noble 4. Cleans up the connection for me, just makes it better. Honestly it's a gamble with cables though, you gotta be ready to take risks.

coincidentally, my C6iem is [COLOR=404040]36.2ohm@1kHz [/COLOR]based on spec sheet, so the BaX a good choice?

Would be. And since it's so light, you would feel nothing of the CIEM or cable. Just try one and see if you can go back to the standard cable.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #377 of 686
Would be. And since it's so light, you would feel nothing of the CIEM or cable. Just try one and see if you can go back to the standard cable.

Just wondering, have you personally listened to the C6 IEM with the BaX? The reason why I would not say that the BaX is a good choice or a bad choice with the C6 is because I have not listened to the C6 with both the stock cable and the BaX to A/B, or even listened to the C6 for that matter.

Regardless of the impedance of the C6 (or any other C/IEM for that matter), the best way to find out if the BaX is good for you is to try it out with your particular C/IEM yourself. You may actually like the colored or possibly muffled sound, or you may not be able to hear a difference at all regarding your particular setup as well as how well you are able to discern differences or possible differences in sound.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #378 of 686

Just wondering, have you personally listened to the C6 IEM with the BaX? The reason why I would not say that the BaX is a good choice or a bad choice with the C6 is because I have not listened to the C6 with both the stock cable and the BaX to A/B, or even listened to the C6 for that matter.

Regardless of the impedance of the C6 (or any other C/IEM for that matter), the best way to find out if the BaX is good for you is to try it out with your particular C/IEM yourself. You may actually like the colored or possibly muffled sound, or you may not be able to hear a difference at all regarding your particular setup as well as how well you are able to discern differences or possible differences in sound.

Haven't tried it with anything but the N4 and JH11. It doesn't really change much of the sound for me, just makes everything flatter. I agree on a 'muffled' sound, but I can't go back to the stock cable now I've tried this.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #379 of 686
Haven't tried it with anything but the N4 and JH11. It doesn't really change much of the sound for me, just makes everything flatter. I agree on a 'muffled' sound, but I can't go back to the stock cable now I've tried this.

regardless of sound, i just like how thin it is

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #380 of 686
The two pins on mine bent. I tried to fix it with pliars and it screwed up. My day's been so bad, my Noble 4 broke, everything's gone wrong. I'd buy someone's bax off them if they want to sell, or if someone could fix my connector, either way. Cheers - Scott.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #381 of 686
The two pins on mine bent. I tried to fix it with pliars and it screwed up. My day's been so bad, my Noble 4 broke, everything's gone wrong. I'd buy someone's bax off them if they want to sell, or if someone could fix my connector, either way. Cheers - Scott.

Due to your bad luck- I believe I have an extra regular BaX cable I'm not using and I'll let you have it; just cover the actual cost of international shipping. I can't confirm I still have an extra until later this afternoon but shoot me a PM if you want it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #382 of 686

Due to your bad luck- I believe I have an extra regular BaX cable I'm not using and I'll let you have it; just cover the actual cost of international shipping. I can't confirm I still have an extra until later this afternoon but shoot me a PM if you want it.

You're kidding me!! You'd do that? Thank you so much! I'd cover the shipping for you, wow. This just made my day. It's the 2 pin version, right? If not maybe Estron could swap it, not sure.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #383 of 686
You're kidding me!! You'd do that? Thank you so much! I'd cover the shipping for you, wow. This just made my day. It's the 2 pin version, right? If not maybe Estron could swap it, not sure.

Yes it's the 2 pin. I think I have two BaX cables on hand. If I do, I'd be happy to help you out. I'll pm you tonight to confirm and give you the estimate on shipping to Australia.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #384 of 686

Yes it's the 2 pin. I think I have two BaX cables on hand. If I do, I'd be happy to help you out. I'll pm you tonight to confirm and give you the estimate on shipping to Australia.

If you only have one on hand I could buy it off you, don't want to put stress on you. I PM'd you.

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #387 of 686
If you only have one on hand I could buy it off you, don't want to put stress on you. I PM'd you.

Extra BaX is now in route to you!

Thanks very much Shane. I got a hold of Brannan and he's going to ship me a new Noble 4 when mine reaches their office. Wasn't such a bad day after all :)

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #388 of 686
A lot of you are familiar with a line of Linum BaX/Vocal/Music and Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) cables: http://www.linum.dk/product-overview/ .  I reviewed Linum BaX MMCX in the past and was very impressed with their performance and build quality: http://www.head-fi.org/t/756037/review-of-linum-bax-mmcx-cable-w-lots-of-pics-and-comparison 

Apparently, Linum also makes interconnect cables (IC) with 3.5mm TRS termination on both sides.  I got curious about these after reading @Sorensiim impression http://www.head-fi.org/t/719062/review-estron-linum-bax-new-iem-cable-for-a-new-age/285#post_11139830 of their IC20 (0.2m) variant, intended as Line Out interconnect for use with your portable audio gear (DAP <-> amp).  When I contacted Linum with further inquires if they make a longer variant of this IC cable to use with my full size headphones, I learned they don't offer a traditional 1.2-1.3m version yet, but have IC88 (0.88m) I can try for testing purpose.  0.88m length is rather odd, but it was explained to me it's the length of BaX cable prior to Y-split (and 0.2m is the remaining length going to IEMs) which they already have pre-cut.

For those who already have Linum BaX, there is not much of a surprise since you are dealing with the same high quality lightweight cable and similar sonic performance.  I was very pleased with their slim 3.5mm connector housing that went right into my ATH-MSR7 earcup cable port.  One noticeable difference is that now you have 3 wires, obviously corresponding to T-R-S contacts of L, R. and GND connection.  This makes wire a bit thicker, and also helps with isolation of L and R channels from a common ground.  After a proper 2 day burn in, I was able to confirm sonic performance to be definitely improved in comparison to MSR7 stock OFC cable, and very similar to my other Silver Litz cables.  I was a bit worried that MSR7 high-res extended driver tuning and bright signature together with IC88 cable will push sibilance level over the limit, but it wasn't the case.  It made a sound cleaner and more revealing, while still under control without any harsh artifacts.  My only wish is for this cable to be 1.2m (IC120) since I found on a number of occasions it was a bit short when I had my DAP on the table and got up with headphones.  But with DAP in my pocket while walking, 0.88m was a perfect length to reach my headphones without pulling on the cable.

Here are some eye-candy pictures for your enjoyment (click to enlarge):

Next to Linum Bax mmcx:

With ATH-MSR7 & FiiO X3 2nd gen:

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #389 of 686
out of a peak level of curiosity, i ordered a BaX, lets wait to see how it pairs with the C6iem

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #390 of 686
Just received my Linum BaX 2 pin cable and is now fitted to my Unique Melody Miracles/Cowon Plenue P1. I have not used the stock cable for some time as it broke, but have been using a Niobium (pure silver) made my HPL Audio (chris_himself to us head-fi people) and that cable sounds so good but cost a lot more than the linum BaX. My first impression is that the bass is more pronounced, not knowing if because of the lightness of the cable that my iem's fit better. I'll do more testing but I'm amazed by this cable for the price. I do wear glasses and this helps very much. At first I didn't think it would fit as I have recessed sockets but all it took was a little squeeze and some force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back