Replace Grado 80's with DT 990s ?
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DudeMyCans

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to replace an aging pair of Grado SR80's and have been searching around on here for days and looking at other reviews. I'm not looking at a direct replacement in that I don't want or expect them to sound the same (otherwise I'd just buy a newer pair of SR80i's, right ?).

I think I've narrowed it down to the Beyer DT 990 Pro's as I'd like something with plenty of bass but with a detailed treble. I was also looking at the AKG K550's but have been put off by the comments about them needing a good seal to your head. Although I have a Shrek size head I also wear glasses and so would probably have a problem.

Anyway. I have a couple of questions before I pull the trigger. I don't really have any opportunity to listen to them first.

Firstly, can anybody advise if this a good choice ? I'm looking for something with an engaging sound, but not overly bright or with a bloated bass. Pace and rhythm are important together with good sound staging. Is there anything else ?

Secondly, have they been changed recently on the Pro models to get rid of the metal grill ?The ones I'm looking at on amazon have a plastic grill.

I listen mostly to rock, indie with some jazz and female vocals. I'll be using them mostly with a computer and an E10 amp until I finish the Starving Student I'm currently building.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back