RBH - HP-2 ULTRALIGHT BERYLLIUM HEADPHONES
Dec 11, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #16 of 163
Interesting to see another speaker company enter the headphone realm. First time I heard anything about beryllium was the Usher be bookshelves that used them in a tweeter. They got high praise at the time.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 163
Is this the size of a bose AE ..small circumaural? :)
Pads looked thick n comfy....angled? .pleather or leather?
Or the drivers are angled?

Oh no. My buddy Nick pointed me this way, and here you are also. This apparently is a dangerous place lol!

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #19 of 163
  anyone else get these or have any comments? curious how they would stack up to the oppo pm-3

I've only briefly listened to both, but I would say these are more v-shaped than the pm-3. I also wouldn't be surprised if the pm-3 has more detail retrieval due to the planar design.

I compared the HP-2 to my DT-1770 Pro's and unfortunately, as much as I wanted to like the HP-2's over a headphone 3x the cost, I couldn't. The only aspect I could is the weight, it feels super light - and I know this was an intentional feature but it almost seems 'cheap' light when you pick it up. Maybe I'm just conditioned to associate things with a bit of heft to be a sign of quality.

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #21 of 163
Ignoring the weight, what would be the key differences between the DT1770 and HP-2?

Just about all aspects:

1. Imaging: HP-2 sounded quite closed in while the DT1770 has a bigger soundstage with a better sense of space.
  2. Resolution: While the HP-2 doesn't sound veiled on its own, the DT1770 with its Tesla 2.0 driver slaughters it in this department. An example if you listen to the beginning of Kygo's Firestone with the percussion instruments, the HP-2 you can hear them, but the DT1770 you hear every detail/texture of those instruments.
  3. Sound Signature: The HP-2 is quite V-shaped and heavy on the mid-bass department, while the DT1770 sounds more on the neutral-side of a V-shape; to me that means it's more balanced and the bass is very tight and quick versus a thicker mid-bass. Also the DT1770 still reaches sub-bass level whereas the HP-2 doesn't seem to dig as deep.
  4. Comfort: HP-2 is quite comfortable with the memory foam cushions, however they're small and more so on-ear for me unless I purposely insert each ear within the cup. This makes for better portability though, but for my use at a desk it didn't matter. The DT1770 is definitely over-ear. Both the HP-2 and DT1770, while using memory foam cushions caused heat and moisture around the ears/cheek. I prefer the replaceable velour cups I currently use on the DT1770.

Over all, the HP-2 reminded me of my old ATH-M50's in terms of imaging and sound signature, but more comfortable by a large margin. I would now recommend the HP-2 over the popular ATH-M50. However, that quote about the HP-2 in the same playing field as a $2000 headphone, I would say that's far-fetched at best.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 163
I've had mine for a week now and am really enjoying them. This was my first step into "mid-fi". For perspective, I like a nice rounded sound, preferably more on the warmer side. I listen to everything from Beethoven, Beetles, Bruce Springsteen, Blondie, and Tristam (couldn't think of one of my electronic artists with a "b" darnit).

Primary listening is through a Fulla, they did okay through my LG G3 but in comparison were a bit more loose. My initial impressions were that these were a bit boomy out of the box. However, I was worried that a combination of them being new yet and me coming from a set that was a little anemic would bias a review. I wanted to give it a good long while before giving it a solid "what are they like". After giving them a chance to break in either a) I've gotten accustomed to it or b) they've rolled off a bit during the break-in process. Most likely a combination of both. Very articulate sounding, even on the "bright" fulla the highs are very managed and crisp but not harsh. Mid-range is great and provides a lot of clarity. Bass is definitely there if you're listening to music that's got it. As stated the punctuality of the bass rolled off a bit but still remained very tight. I'd say now it's less "in your face" after break-in.  If i could give a short description of them, I'd say they're like a more "vee'd" PM3 (more base and maybe a scosh more treble). I'd probably come back to the PM3's as they're a bit more relaxed in that regard (bass freq) than the HP-2's but overall I'm very pleased on the purchase especially for the price. While they may lack the detail that a planar set of cans, I thought that for the category they're in ~$200 they did quite well. Certainly not the PM1 killers that Audiholics was claiming them to be that's for sure.

That's the TLDR of it, here's some of the tracks that I listened to over the last week or so that really stood out to me for various reasons:

Classical is quite fantastic. You get a lot of the presence from the rest of the strings and the violin is very pronounced. I was very impressed with this particular recording in the clarity or, maybe rather the detail you can hear in the strings. Its got texture. Piano's no joke either with these. You can't quite hear the plunk of the hammer on the strings but maybe that particular player is a bit more light-handed than I ever was (why i was probably partial to Tchaikovsky :p ). 

Now lets get into something a bit newer (we're going to skip over big band for now....haven't been in the mood for glen this last week). While I've always been a fan of Smokey and motown I think these cans really give it their all when you've got more vocals. Now while this particular track between JT & CK was recorded...well...clear past the 60's and 70's its absolutely fantastic. The same definition (and again, texture) of the guitar can be found with a little help from Steevie. Female vocals are something that really do sound like something else with these. Its like there's just that little bit of sparkle over a really warm base. Susan Tedeshci is no different and this particular track has a pretty wholesome sound in itself.

Moving on a bit, lets get into some rock. For no particular reason that I can name, DSoTM is one of my favs to just plop down and listen to. Time has a great combination of sounds that really emphasize how tight these headphones are. First time listening to "speak to me" i was really impressed with 1) yes that really is a heartbeat now....not a muffled mess and 2) there's a LOT of quieter less imposing sounds in the background that are *suddenly* magically there. Around the same era, you've got John Paul Jones doing his magic with Zeppelin. Seriously, every time I listen to the intro on "Your time i gonna come" i just get chills. Comparing this to say, the pressing I've got on vinyl (so now closed back cans vs a speaker system) the sound stage definitely isn't as large...i mean...i know you're probably going DUH by this point in time but the sound staging with the Zepp tracks is one thing I've always really enjoyed and I think despite being a closed back sub $300 set of cans they do their faithful duty in trying to reproduce that. Bonus Zepp because I've got a giant soft spot for them an all their imperfections.

Fear not you prog-rock fans. Fragile is probably one of my favorite records of the era to begin with but I think that "Roundabout" does a great job with layering the music. You can hear the crispness of the percussion throughout the whole recording. In the beginning the (once more) texture of that guitar is fantastic and as with stuff from james and carole the harmony that they've got between them is great. This one sound just really wraps up everything that is great for me in the cans.

Lastly, for those of you not in favor of electro music turn around now! Tristam has got to be one of my tops in this category, he's got a great production value and overall a very dynamic sound. This track will exercise the bottom end of those drivers a bit more! Shows that even in a more bass-heavy track there's a lot of control and it doesn't lose any quality in sound in the mids and highs along the way. Reinging it back in a bit, one of my favs off RAM was the opening track "give life back to music". It has that funky sound that I really enjoyed with the album and the HP2's do a great job with it.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 163
Has anyone done a comparison between the RBH HP-2 and the Audio Technica M50X? 

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #24 of 163
  Has anyone done a comparison between the RBH HP-2 and the Audio Technica M50X? 

See my last statement below:

Quote:

Just about all aspects:

1. Imaging: HP-2 sounded quite closed in while the DT1770 has a bigger soundstage with a better sense of space.
  2. Resolution: While the HP-2 doesn't sound veiled on its own, the DT1770 with its Tesla 2.0 driver slaughters it in this department. An example if you listen to the beginning of Kygo's Firestone with the percussion instruments, the HP-2 you can hear them, but the DT1770 you hear every detail/texture of those instruments.
  3. Sound Signature: The HP-2 is quite V-shaped and heavy on the mid-bass department, while the DT1770 sounds more on the neutral-side of a V-shape; to me that means it's more balanced and the bass is very tight and quick versus a thicker mid-bass. Also the DT1770 still reaches sub-bass level whereas the HP-2 doesn't seem to dig as deep.
  4. Comfort: HP-2 is quite comfortable with the memory foam cushions, however they're small and more so on-ear for me unless I purposely insert each ear within the cup. This makes for better portability though, but for my use at a desk it didn't matter. The DT1770 is definitely over-ear. Both the HP-2 and DT1770, while using memory foam cushions caused heat and moisture around the ears/cheek. I prefer the replaceable velour cups I currently use on the DT1770.

Over all, the HP-2 reminded me of my old ATH-M50's in terms of imaging and sound signature, but more comfortable by a large margin. I would now recommend the HP-2 over the popular ATH-M50. However, that quote about the HP-2 in the same playing field as a $2000 headphone, I would say that's far-fetched at best.

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 163
Darn it, even though i read your previous post i missed that last part. I was ready to purchase the new RBH-HP2 thinking that it would sound much better than the M50x. In this case i will continue to save money for the Shure se846. These set are the ones i really want. I have yet to hear a bad review, i am trying to convince myself they are worth the 1k. Thats a lot of money for IEM set but you only live once. Thank You forever0.

Astell&Kern 120II
Sony ZX2 (walkman)
Fiio Mont Blanc E12 (amp)
Audio Technica M50X (blue/cooper limited edition) over ear cans
Symphonized Pro Premium Earbuds
Moe SS01 Ear buds (dual driver)
NRG Premium wood ear buds.
TTPod (three drivers) ear buds

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #27 of 163
Just got my RBH HP-2's today. I just recently got a pair of JVC Wood 01's ($700) that I've been listening to as well so I've got that fresh in my mind too. Haven't had much time to spend with the HP2's, but my initial impressions:

- Box / packaging is super nice, quite a bit nicer than Wood 01. Totally not very relevant but still just worth sharing, it's really nice.
- Carrying case looks and feels really nice. It's solid and feels premium. JVC Wood 01 on the other hand just comes with a floppy velvet sack. 
- They are billed as ultra lightweight, but don't feel as light as I was expecting (I consider this a good thing)
- Very comfortable
- I think they look fine, even nice, but some of the styling details are not for me. Not really a fan of the Beryllium in italic font on each side
- Lot of plastic parts
- They came with a little card with some Stabilizing Spacers for iphone 6, 6 plus, 6s, 6s plus models. Looks like some little rubber thing you slide onto the headphone plug. Not sure what that's all about, I have one of those model phones and didn't put it on and it seemed fine.
- Holy smokes - what bass! They sound very fun. Initial reaction is I really love the sound signature on these a lot. Need to spend some time with them though to formulate more of an opinion. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #28 of 163
These are very good for $200 but are a bit bass-heavy for my taste. Someone (I forget who) shared with me a tip that apparently came from RBH saying if you want to reduce the bass, you can fill one or two of the three tiny holes in the sides of the ear cups with black silicon (or place a small piece of black electrical tape over them).  It works great, and aesthetically, the silicone is much nicer, but I guess that way is also non-reversable. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #29 of 163
Just got my RBH HP-2's today. I just recently got a pair of JVC Wood 01's ($700) that I've been listening to as well so I've got that fresh in my mind too. Haven't had much time to spend with the HP2's, but my initial impressions:

- Box / packaging is super nice, quite a bit nicer than Wood 01. Totally not very relevant but still just worth sharing, it's really nice.
- Carrying case looks and feels really nice. It's solid and feels premium. JVC Wood 01 on the other hand just comes with a floppy velvet sack. 
- They are billed as ultra lightweight, but don't feel as light as I was expecting (I consider this a good thing)
- Very comfortable
- I think they look fine, even nice, but some of the styling details are not for me. Not really a fan of the Beryllium in italic font on each side
- Lot of plastic parts
- They came with a little card with some Stabilizing Spacers for iphone 6, 6 plus, 6s, 6s plus models. Looks like some little rubber thing you slide onto the headphone plug. Not sure what that's all about, I have one of those model phones and didn't put it on and it seemed fine.
- Holy smokes - what bass! They sound very fun. Initial reaction is I really love the sound signature on these a lot. Need to spend some time with them though to formulate more of an opinion. 
Thanks for the mini review. I will consider them again. How are the mids and highs? Does the heavy bass drone them? Does the bass bleed into the mids?

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #30 of 163

Ahhh great information to have. I had the Audio Technica M50x and I hated their signature because it was so bright I couldn't stand them. For some reason I did hear to much bass at all, infact, to little bass. I had their limited edition cooper/blue color. I sold them on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back