Rave review of the 'Astonishing' KingSound KS-H3 headphones
Jan 14, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #31 of 60

I found them unusable after 25 minutes.

Listing with both the KingSound solid state and valve amps, the initial impression was superb. The KS-H3 have a superb mid-range, sweet treble, adequate base and the same effortless transparency and clarity as the HD 800's.

However, after 25 minutes of listening, I noticed that a significant hiss had developed on the left channel. The problem went away after I took off the headphones for 5 minutes, but left the music playing. So it is related to the act of physically wearing them and my guess is that the problem results static discharge due to water vapor.

In any event, two other pairs that I tried had exactly the same problem and after demonstrating it to the staff at AudioVision SF with everything disconnected except the solid state amp, they agreed that it was very noticeable and graciously offered me a refund.

To reproduce the problem, I suggest dressing warming and listening continuously with the headphone snugly fit for 25 minutes, then turning off the music or unplugging the RCA jacks from the amp entirely. You should hear silence.

I would be very interested in learning what you do hear....

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #32 of 60
I really enjoyed the H-03/M-10 combination when I had them--and they were working properly (shortlived as the period was), but I was routinely experiencing constant low level static interference from the right channel after 30 or so minutes into the listening session.

I return-shipped the H-03/M-10 back to the Westcoast distributor, who tested the units and claimed to have heard no such problem. He in turn sent the units back to the Eastcoast retailer, who also tested the units and subsequently reported hearing no such problem, either. The distibutor said that he had recently processed several other returns for which the owners had noted audible problems with the gear, yet for which he, upon testing, could find no evidence. This distressed me enough to ask the retailer for a full refund which, thankfully, he granted.

It was not without a measure of "bad blood", though, with the retailer implicitly branding me as a fellow who had returned the merchandise under false pretenses.

However, I would no doubt still be listening to and enjoying the KS combination had the "phantom" static in the right channel not occured in the first place.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #33 of 60
Curious if anyone has any updated impressions of these?

Was just about to pull the trigger on a T1, when I stumbled across these in the forums.  Since I have DT-880's, figured I might try something different for once. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #35 of 60
I personally disliked the T1 because of their "unnatural" rendering of the high frequencies, for me a bit too hard and with an "outlined" quality.  To me, the older DT880 [dubbed the "2003 version"] had better/cleaner extension.

Truth be told, I would gladly give the H-03 another go with the Woo WEE.  Very transparent, even-handed and detailed.  Bruckner never sounded so well!  

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #36 of 60
Thank you very much BydoEmpire and pataburd!!!  I really appreciate the feedback; and +1 for both of you for jumping to give an initial try to these relatively untested cans, and then helping a n00b like me.  

I was really looking forward to either of these, LOL.  But I think I am to ponder about the advice given, and research a bit more before I make a decision about my next 'phones.  I am a bit of an oddball here; I don't have a variety of headphone experience, and have been using my 2003 DT-880's almost exclusively for the past 9.5 years; but I do know them very well.  I am all about that neutral sound, so I will have a look at STAX; it just seems their stuff is so old.  

I'll reach out to Kingsound to see if they have anything interesting to say about this hiss issue.  I'll post a reply if the response is worthwhile. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #37 of 60
I found them unusable after 25 minutes.

Listing with both the KingSound solid state and valve amps, the initial impression was superb. The KS-H3 have a superb mid-range, sweet treble, adequate base and the same effortless transparency and clarity as the HD 800's.

However, after 25 minutes of listening, I noticed that a significant hiss had developed on the left channel. The problem went away after I took off the headphones for 5 minutes, but left the music playing. So it is related to the act of physically wearing them and my guess is that the problem results static discharge due to water vapor.

In any event, two other pairs that I tried had exactly the same problem and after demonstrating it to the staff at AudioVision SF with everything disconnected except the solid state amp, they agreed that it was very noticeable and graciously offered me a refund.

To reproduce the problem, I suggest dressing warming and listening continuously with the headphone snugly fit for 25 minutes, then turning off the music or unplugging the RCA jacks from the amp entirely. You should hear silence.

I would be very interested in learning what you do hear....
Got an idea to solving this problem that I tried on my pair

Basically cut out a piece of sticky back felt and applied it to the metal you see in the photo and holy schiit it actually worked (so far) no static/hiss/fart noise whereas before the noise was pretty much constant.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #38 of 60
KingSound should be addressing/resolving these issues if they have any sense of self respect.
As much as I really enjoyed the H-03/M-10, KS lost my business due to their apparent lack of customer concern--almost a practical "denial" of the problem(s) inherent in the design, especially when you factor in the widespread frequency of complaints from potential owners.
I bought a pair of Stax and may never look back on KS, unless I can find a pair used and cheap otherwise.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #39 of 60
  KingSound should be addressing/resolving these issues if they have any sense of self respect.
As much as I really enjoyed the H-03/M-10, KS lost my business due to their apparent lack of customer concern--almost a practical "denial" of the problem(s) inherent in the design, especially when you factor in the widespread frequency of complaints from potential owners.
I bought a pair of Stax and may never look back on KS, unless I can find a pair used and cheap otherwise.

Can you let me know your thoughts on the SR-507, especially compared to the KS?  I was thinking about getting that instead.  A Stax headphone amp combo is a bit more, but it might be worth it due to the quality.  The Stax also seems like it will have the potential for collectors value (over a LONG time period). 

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #40 of 60
I am running the Stax with the Woo WEE and the Qinpu A-1.0X integrated.  When I had the H-03, they were driven by the KS M-10.  
Given these major amping differences, the H-03 [as I recall] sounded cleaner, more open and transparent but less dynamically "solid" compared to the SR-507.  
I would like to hear the H-03 with the WEE [or the SR-507 with the M-10] and do a head-to-head comparison between the KS and the Stax at some future point.  
Given that comparison--for what it's worth--I still DO miss the H-03 and found them overall a little more engaging than the SR-507 so far.
Again, it's really too bad the H-03 had that static noise problem, otherwise I am pretty sure I'd still be enjoying them to this day.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #42 of 60
  Update: Listened a great DVD-A remaster Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" last night on the Stax.  The bass definitely hits harder with the Stax.

Thanks for the update Pataburd; this is something that I was wondering specifically about, and I am happy to hear.  I think I am settled on an SR-507 and a 

I got and email back from KS today, here is what they said below.  Maybe they will iron out the issue in the future: 

=============

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your email and well aware of your concerned!

Please note that we are from time to time to have improvement on our product. There are many feedbacks from the end-users and we are taking care of them.

In case the end-users found our items come with manufacturing defects, they can return the unit to the dealer for exchange.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #43 of 60
Thank you for forwarding that message along.
It's good to hear that KS is expressing concern.
There would be a good number of these in use right now--one user would have been me(!)--if not for the quality issues.
For what it's worth, I may venture further up the Stax ladder when time and budget permits.

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #44 of 60
Another review, now on Dagogo...

http://dagogo.com/kingsound-ks-h3-headphones-m-20-headphone-amplifier-review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back