Oppo Sonica DAC (an affordable ES9038PRO Sabre DAC)
May 15, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #376 of 520
^ I don't understand the question.

Obviously, I don't think you believe it takes longer to ship product that has new firmware vs. the time it takes to ship product with outdated firmware - despite how your question is worded. So, are you asking how long it takes for their inventory to deplete sufficiently to be replaced with new inventory that has the latest firmware? If so, I doubt anyone outside of Oppo knows the answer to that question. And in any case, it's very easy to install new firmware as an end-user.

May 15, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #377 of 520
Yeah in a nutshell, yes depletion of stock. In my mind it gives an idea of how many are being sold, and so on.

May 15, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #378 of 520
Yeah in a nutshell, yes depletion of stock. In my mind it gives an idea of how many are being sold, and so on.

I'm with you, now. I guess if we see it sell out temporarily, we might get a feel the interval between batches, but I doubt we can ever know just how many are selling.

It's a tremendous value and has spoiled by ability to appreciate my other DACs, most of which are "cheap," but my stable includes the more expensive Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII NOS DAC which, except for how much I like it with the HD800, has been eclipsed by the Sonica DAC, in terms of detail and dynamics especially (not to mention the SDAC's USB and WiFi-based source options).

The worst of it for me is that hearing is so spoiled by the Sonica DAC, I'm having a hard time enjoying any of my portable rigs. I'm about ready to strap the Sonica DAC to my back with a big deep cycle marine battery and a really clean sine-wave inverter. I should be able to keep all of that under 50 lbs. :)

May 20, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #383 of 520
So excited!Just ordered the Sonica dac.Anyone here use it with their Ha-1?Hoping they work well together!

I am on this thread kinda for this reason. Is it something that works with the HA-1 or is an HA-1 replacement? Because if it isn't a replacement I'm maybe waiting for the HA-1 SE? or its replacement.

May 21, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #384 of 520
^ The Sonica DAC cannot replace an HA-1, unless you're only using the HA-1's DAC section. The Sonica DAC does not have a headphone amp.

I've spent a lot of time with the HA-1 using various sources and consider its USB input to be a weak point. I've even gone on record in the HA-1 thread, long ago, saying that even the sub-$100, 96/24-capable Teradak Teralink X2 USB-to-SPDIF converter will improve the sound of the HA-1's DAC section by coming in on the Coax or Optical input, instead of directly into the HA-1's USB input.

I'd say it could just be my copy of the HA-1, but I know of some other people who have concluded its Coax and Optical inputs sound better. For a long while, I used the Coaxial output of the FiiO X5 DAC as my source for the HA-1's DAC section. Inserting my Uptone Audio USB Regen upstream of the USB input doesn't seem to help the HA-1's USB circuit. Using a Resonessence Concero - not as a DAC but with it set to serve as a USB-to-SPDIF converter for the Coaxial input of the HA-1 - gave the best results I've personally heard, for USB sources with the HA-1 DAC, but I've long since dedicated my HA-1 to using an Optical input from my flatscreen TV, to drive a pair of LCD-2 Rev 1. for late night TV viewing (or just for excellent audio TV viewing). :) In this application, I'm not using the USB input and the HA-1's somewhat bright DAC section works very well with the shelved highs of my LCD-2 Rev.1 - not overlooking the awesome amp section of the HA-1.

So... In my opinion, the Sonica DAC should be seen by HA-1 owners as a welcome upgrade - in terms of improving sound quality - in addition to all the other features it has. I think anyone who tries it with the HA-1 will decide to keep the Sonica DAC - even if they are already using Coaxial or Optical input vs. the USB input - and especially if they are using highly resolving, and treble-sensitive dynamic headphones like the Senn HD800/HD800s or the 600-Ohm Beyerdynamic DT880, for example. I fatigue when using them with the HA-1's DAC, even with Coaxial or Optical input, but not so when using the HA-1's amp section with the Sonica DAC.

Let me confess that although I spent a weekend listening to the Sonica DAC + HA-1, I don't run them together as a rule. (Again, I use the HA-1 by itself with optical input from the TV + LCD-2 Rev.1.) My Sonica DAC is at my recliner in the den, driving my (believe it or not) iBasso PB2 portable balanced amp, equipped with Sparkos Labs SS3602 discrete op-amps + dummy buffers, into the Oppo PM-1. THIS is my favorite combo, currently, for just enjoying music (primarily Tidal HiFi via the Sonica App, running on an Apple 6th Gen Touch, for long listening without fatigue, across multiple genres.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #385 of 520
Tx for your input.I really love my Ha-1 and looking forward to the dac upgrade in the Sonica.I also have the Cavalli LC so it will be fun playing around with the amp options as well!On another note-trying to decide between music streaming services.Since there is no MQA at the moment I don't really see the need to get Tidal HiFi.I'm looking at Spotify's no add $9.99 service,Tidal's basic,Amazon Prime or Google.Any thoughts?!

May 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #386 of 520
Tx for your input.I really love my Ha-1 and looking forward to the dac upgrade in the Sonica.I also have the Cavalli LC so it will be fun playing around with the amp options as well!On another note-trying to decide between music streaming services.Since there is no MQA at the moment I don't really see the need to get Tidal HiFi.I'm looking at Spotify's no add $9.99 service,Tidal's basic,Amazon Prime or Google.Any thoughts?!
Tidal HiFi, from what I remember, is at the least lossless CD quality, while the others are MP3 quality. But I could be wrong.

May 22, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #387 of 520
Another ho-hum review of the Oppo Dac in March edition Hometheater Review and June edition of What-HiFi! With the Headfonics review, my take was that it's better than the Dac in the HA-1 amp (no brainer there) but not as good as Idac-6 and Hugo dacs. Just not very musical compared to competition.
I asked Oppo if they have any near term fw updates that address sound quality.
They said no but suggested I DL their beta fw update. The tech apparently isn't aware that they already released an official version of this beta update. Either this 9038 chip is nothing to right home about or it's simply implemented in such a way in the Oppo that it's not being all it can be!

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #389 of 520
Another ho-hum review of the Oppo Dac in March edition Hometheater Review and June edition of What-HiFi! With the Headfonics review, my take was that it's better than the Dac in the HA-1 amp (no brainer there) but not as good as Iha-6 and Hugo dacs. Just not very musical compared to competition.
I asked Oppo if they have any near term fw updates that address sound quality.
They said no but suggested I DL their beta fw update. The tech apparently isn't aware that they already released an official version of this beta update. Either this 9038 chip is nothing to right home about or it's simply implemented in such a way in the Oppo that it's not being all it can be!

That's why there are modification surgeries for the DAC, circuit ,PSU etc. from some shops. At least there are some in Hong Kong. To make Sonica even more musical than Hugo 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back