Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Sep 22, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #2,536 of 6,302
  Just got 2 balanced cables for my RWAK120ii. Cannot wait to test them. I think my 6' is too long for my everyday needs, but the cable is nice. I will post pictures and comment on it later tonight.

popcorn.gif
 Anxiously awaiting

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #2,537 of 6,302

popcorn.gif
 Anxiously awaiting

Well, really, I've heard them balanced before but I feel the sound stage was better with the new balanced cable over SE cable and the bass presence and emphasis was much more to my liking. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,538 of 6,302
Did you make your own? or did you order them from a vendor?

I just ordered a cable from Surf Cables, but single ended. Will be a while before i go balanced.

D

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #2,539 of 6,302
Since we are on a subject of PM-3 cables (balanced wired), here is a little mini-review of SuperTech cable ($7.99 on amazon).  Yeah, I know this is not a super-duper pure silver cable, but it actually works.

After my review of Oppo PM-3 planar magnetic headphones, I discovered that headphone jack in the left earcup is balanced wired, despite the included single ended cables.  That was actually a very interesting find, meaning PM-3 can be driven from various DAPs that support either 3.5mm TRRS (HFM wiring) or 2.5mm TRRS (AK wiring).  I also confirmed that Oppo used HiFiMAN balanced wiring scheme where HFM (from the tip) is L+, R+, L-, R-, while AK (from the tip) is R-, R+, L+, L-.  This means you can use a balanced 3.5mm cable going directly to HiFiMAN daps, like my HM700, or get 3.5mm (HFM) to 2.5mm (AK) adapter with a wire crossover to match the connection between headphones and your source.

While looking for a cable to support TRRS connection to pair up with my Cayin N5, I was recommend by one of the head-fiers (thanks @BRCMRGN) SuperTech 6ft balanced wired cable, available on Amazon for $7.99 HERE.  $400 planar magnetic headphones with $8 cable?  Yeah, you better believe it!

Arrived in anti-static bag, there is nothing special about the packaging which keep the price down.  Cable has a very nice and sturdy construction, though it's a bit stiff due to a thicker shielding, and with hardly any microphonics.  Cable is terminated by two identical gold plated 3.5mm connectors with a nice looking housing, and extended with a narrow collar to perfectly fit PM-3 headphone socket.  The cable length is 6ft (1.8m) which is longer than a typical 4ft (1.2m) cable.  It's still acceptable for a portable use and gives you an extra length to use with a desktop equipment.

Unpacking and design details.

When you compare it to PM-3 cable, you can see that a diameter of a stock cable connector housing is nearly the same as a narrow collar of the connector used in their SuperTech cable.  As a result it goes in easy and stays secure attached to the earcup.

When I tried using it with HiFiMAN HM700, it worked fine.  But due to that DAP being so small and lightweight in comparison to this cable, and since headphone connector is located inconveniently on a side, I ended up pulling the plug out by accident quite a few times.  I'm sure it will work better with other HFM DAPs that are bulkier and support 3.5mm balanced connector.  Next I decided to move to my 2.5mm AK-wired daps, AK120ii and N5.  This connection required an adapter going from HFM 3.5mm to AK 2.5mm, and I contacted Craig @Whiplash Audio with a request for one.  This is a review sample, made with TWag v3 wires which in this case an overkill for $8 cable, but you can contacted him and request to use other wires for such custom adapter.  Or you can make your own DIY cable adapter.

Whiplash Audio 3.5mm (HFM) to 2.5mm (AK) custom adapter.

The purpose of this exercise was to find out if balanced cable replacement can improve a sound.  What I found is that Oppo's stock cable sounds nearly identical to SuperTech cable since both probably use the same type of wires.  But once I introduced 2.5mm adapter into the equation - I found a slight improvement in soundstage width and depth when used with AK120ii and N5.  I wouldn't exactly call it a night'n'day change, but you can definitely hear the difference.  Also, despite being 3.5mm TRRS wired connector, SuperTech cable works fine with 3.5mm HO ports (FiiO X5ii/X3ii/X1, AK120ii, QLS QA360, and Cayin N5) connected to all of my headphones with removable cables and single ended 3.5mm sockets..

In conclusion, I found SuperTech cable to have a decent build quality (still working fine after 4-5 days of use :)), to provide exactly the same sound characteristics as a stock cable, and to be able to wire PM-3 balanced.  Plus,  you can use it with any other headphones as a replacement cable.  For $7.99 I can definitely recommend it.

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #2,540 of 6,302
If your thinking of buying these or other equipment, have a look at www.whatmoughaudio.com.au.  Even with P&P and customs there cheaper than most.
Also e-mail Kee at kee@whatmoughaudio.com.au for upto date special offers, which make it even cheaper [good communicator by the way] and more worthwhile, I saved £s. They also offer advice to help you make the right choices.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,541 of 6,302
If I'm using my iPhone as the source, does using the HA-2 with these (or IEM's and headphones in general) result in a noticeable difference?

My question is whether or not I should buy a portable DAC/amp.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #2,542 of 6,302
If I'm using my iPhone as the source, does using the HA-2 with these (or IEM's and headphones in general) result in a noticeable difference?

Thanks!

Absolutely!  No doubt, you will be able to "hear" a sound when driving PM-3 from your phone, but you need more power to "feel" the sound.  PM-3 sound quality definitely scales up with more power and higher quality cables.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #2,543 of 6,302

Thanks!

I  notice a big difference when using my portable amp with all of my portable sources.  I have a little different setup than you.  I have a Vorzuge VorzAMP pure II + and I'm using an android phone and a Fiio X5 MK2.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #2,544 of 6,302
Finally received my balanced cable from Double Helix Cables for my PM-3.  The increase in volume when running the PM-3 balanced from my Oppo HA-1 is stunning, because the balanced HA-1 is putting out significantly more power this way.  WOW!  Oppo should offer a few configurations of balanced cables for these cans.

These pictures were taken by Peter Bradstock.

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #2,545 of 6,302
I use my iphone to drive the PM-3 on my daily commute, as I prefer the convenient in-line remotes when I'm out and about.  If this was my only setup, I'd have no complaints.  I think the PM-3 has great tonal balance with good isolation.

In the office, I connect the HA-2 to my PM-3.  From what I can tell, the bass gets tighter and vocals get a slightly "fuller" sound.  The difference isn't tremendous but it is definitely noticeable. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,547 of 6,302
Mergues - have used PM3 w P1 and think it fits very well. I have compared it with Chord Hugo, which I also own and P1 works really well with PM3. Btw P1 is also able to drive both Audeze LCD 2 and Fostex TH 500 very well. I would guess that you get some 80-85% with P1 in respect of what you get with Hugo. Hope this is helpful

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #2,548 of 6,302
BuyDig has the BeyerDynamic T5P on sale for $650 (msrp $1399), which is within striking distance of the price of the PM3's.  Has anyone done a comparison between the two?  Is the $250 worth the upgrade to the T5P's?  Is it an upgrade at all, for that matter?

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #2,549 of 6,302
  BuyDig has the BeyerDynamic T5P on sale for $650 (msrp $1399), which is within striking distance of the price of the PM3's.  Has anyone done a comparison between the two?  Is the $250 worth the upgrade to the T5P's?  Is it an upgrade at all, for that matter?

I owned a T5P for almost two years and just sold it this summer and bought the PM-3.  To be honest, it's not an easy comparison in my mind.

1. T5P has better imaging, depth, and sound quality, especially in the treble.
  2. T5P scales very will.  I was amazed how good it sounded from a Fiio X5.  I plugged it into an A20 and it was even better.
  3. T5P feels very premium and has deeper and more comfortable ear cups.

1. PM-3 is definitely more portable.  The rotating ear cups are WAY better than the heavy, Star Wars styling on the T5Ps.
  2. PM-3 feels better built & more solid.
  3. PM-3 has better bass out of an iPhone than a T5P.

My T5P had constant build issues with the connector, but Beyerdynamic eventually just gave me a new one.  That said, after less than a month of use my PM-3's left driver died, and Oppo also gave me a new one.  So, it's kind of a wash there.

I will say this: I think they're both fantastic headphones.  If you're going to be sitting behind your desk in your office and portability is not important: T5P.  However, if you're going to be going out and about, taking subways, walking the dog, the PM-3 is considerably more portable and you don't look like a cyborg with them on, unless that's your thing.

I miss my T5Ps but I'm very very happy with my PM-3.  If money weren't an object I'd have them both because I feel they're actually quite good compliments to each other.  I miss how classical sounds from my T5P.  That said, listening to stuff with slam really sounds great out of the PM-3s.

Sep 30, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #2,550 of 6,302
I owned a T5P for almost two years and just sold it this summer and bought the PM-3.  To be honest, it's not an easy comparison in my mind.

• T5P has better imaging, depth, and sound quality, especially in the treble.
  • T5P scales very will.  I was amazed how good it sounded from a Fiio X5.  I plugged it into an A20 and it was even better.
  • T5P feels very premium and has deeper and more comfortable ear cups.

• PM-3 is definitely more portable.  The rotating ear cups are WAY better than the heavy, Star Wars styling on the T5Ps.
  • PM-3 feels better built & more solid.
  • PM-3 has better bass out of an iPhone than a T5P.

My T5P had constant build issues with the connector, but Beyerdynamic eventually just gave me a new one.  That said, after less than a month of use my PM-3's left driver died, and Oppo also gave me a new one.  So, it's kind of a wash there.

I will say this: I think they're both fantastic headphones.  If you're going to be sitting behind your desk in your office and portability is not important: T5P.  However, if you're going to be going out and about, taking subways, walking the dog, the PM-3 is considerably more portable and you don't look like a cyborg with them on, unless that's your thing.

I miss my T5Ps but I'm very very happy with my PM-3.  If money weren't an object I'd have them both because I feel they're actually quite good compliments to each other.  I miss how classical sounds from my T5P.  That said, listening to stuff with slam really sounds great out of the PM-3s.

Nice comparison mate. Very clear and concise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back