New JVC Wood - HA-SW01 and HA-SW02
Nov 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #76 of 171
here is my latest. the mounts for each individual earpiece swivels on a single screw. these screws are fastened without any permanence. i.e. there is no lock washer or locktite it just screws into the headpiece. it has come loose on both sides and I had to reinstall,  not quite as reliable as i thought.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #77 of 171
  here is my latest. the mounts for each individual earpiece swivels on a single screw. these screws are fastened without any permanence. i.e. there is no lock washer or locktite it just screws into the headpiece. it has come loose on both sides and I had to reinstall,  not quite as reliable as i thought.

What about the sound?

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #78 of 171
i posted on the sound earlier,  there was a dramtatic difference between balanced cables when matched with these phones. i bought these as travel phones to use with my onkyo dp-x1.  Because i am rough with things i wanted durable phones, i thought these were the ones and cannot understand the thought process of the assembly.

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #79 of 171
Just a note if you decide to try Loctite do not =it has deteriorated plastic in some things...unless it is going metal to metal of course
Maybe coat the screw threads with a skim of Crazy Glue or similar.
Just a heads up on the off chance you  get annoyed enough to go that route.
Thanks for the post

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #83 of 171
Dec 21, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #85 of 171
  Has anyone compared the SW01 with MDR Z7?
Are $459.99 USD in Accessory Jack a fair price for these?

The original price was ¥70,000 ($595.59), so $460 sounds decent. They are advertised as being used balanced with the SU-AX01 though, which costs an additional grand plus the price of the cable. It's pretty much like a Z7 and PHA-3 combo. Many Japanese reviews (Amazon; Kakaku; E-earphone) suggest that it has a detailed, 3D, speaker-like, realistic sound (Even without the new amp), and need lots of burn-in. But I don't know Japanese. I haven't seen any comparison to the Z7. People don't really talk about the Wood headphones as much as the small ones. audionewbi has both.. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #86 of 171

The original price was ¥70,000 ($595.59), so $460 sounds decent. They are advertised as being used balanced with the SU-AX01 though, which costs an additional grand plus the price of the cable. It's pretty much like a Z7 and PHA-3 combo. Many Japanese reviews (Amazon; Kakaku; E-earphone) suggest that it has a detailed, 3D, speaker-like, realistic sound (Even without the new amp), and need lots of burn-in. But I don't know Japanese. I haven't seen any comparison to the Z7. People don't really talk about the Wood headphones as much as the small ones. audionewbi has both.. 

When I discovered the SW01 it looked promising but then I've been deeply disappointed by the feedback on this thread and how much it has been ignored which is surprising given the prestige of the Wooden IEM series and JVC brand. I didn't expect that reaction.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #87 of 171
I just ordered the SW01 last night. I didnt see any real reviews for it, and I bet they're ridiculously good. They should arrive on the 27th.
Someone mentioned the SW01 is like a DT1350. Im hoping they are a speaker-like version of the FX series.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #88 of 171
It doesn't take too much for Head-fiers to get completely obsessed or entirely disinterested in a pair of headphones, especially for a pair with limited availability.  There are a few negative impressions in this thread, but they seem to mostly be based on limited auditions and give very little information.  

From what I've been able to glean from Japanese reviews, they should be excellent for some music (think vocal and acoustic instruments) and not very good for others.  They also probably don't sound much like the FX series iems.  I like a lot of offbeat headphones and I'm super interested in these.  Will be looking forward to more detailed impressions.

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #89 of 171
I've also been eyeing them for a while. 
Usually checking in at Kakaku or Amazon Japan for reviews.
Some accounts say people don't give them enough time.

One also has to consider if their sources are weaker than ideal and that sort of thing.
As with anything you won't know until you try them personally.
I've learned with reviews that sometimes people have rocks in their ears.

The member above certainly changed their mind in a hurry about selling them. Pads are another critical thing and manufacturers aren't always perfect in that regard either.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #90 of 171
I have these now for 2 months, all I can say - wow! Before I was an adept of HD650's they were my main reference cans that I used to listen to about 20 hrs a week, first of all JVCs Wood 01 are not like that. They require 2 major upgrades - Burn In 100hrs at least, and Upgrade to angled Sheeskin brainwavz pads. After that a little on sound - I do very much like sound of my FX1200,(previously owned FX850) and I can say that 01 sounds much better.
They reproduce music in their own (sort of chamber,intimate manner) manner, the big difference you hear is that all tonality of each sound is there. And it's very musical. My friend actually says they're a bit veiled, (I don't hear that) but it's veileing, it's lack of airiness, because sound on these is thick, you really sense it with your skin.
Well, more later) PM me if any of you would have any questions)
PS by far best portable (not portable like Vmoda M100, but still) and closed back sounding can ( that is NOT huge and bulky like Fostex/Denon (except for MM400)) sounding natural, made extremely well and they still give me chills sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back