New iBasso Portable Amp/DAC: iBasso D14 "Bushmaster"
Mar 7, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #556 of 584
  Hi I'm currently eyeing this dac to use on the 400i, whats the sound sig/tonality of this dac? and will this work while being plugged in the pc and charging?

I've commented elsewhere on the sound sig, but yes you can charge from USB whilst using it in DAC/Amp mode. There is a switch on the back that turns the charging circuit on and off. For mobile use you would turn the charge circuit off and run on battery only.

Also note that the quoted run times on battery don't give the full picture as they are based on the SPDIF input, when you use it with USB you only get about 7 hours of run time.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #557 of 584
can you remove the battery and just use it usb/ac powered?

you can also use this to line out on other amp right? its has no issues with this? btw how did it go with the software for the dac on windows 7? is it usable?

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #558 of 584
can you remove the battery and just use it usb/ac powered?

you can also use this to line out on other amp right? its has no issues with this? btw how did it go with the software for the dac on windows 7? is it usable?

The battery is not user serviceable but the charging circuit appears to shut off when it is plugged in but fully charged. You can switch the charging circuit on and off but I don't think it runs from USB power as that mode is designed for mobile phone use.

No issues with line out although it is only 3.5mm and not dual phono. I use it with my Vali 2 amp all the time.

It comes with ASIO drivers that also give you full resolution support. Installation was easy and it works fine on Windows 7,8 and 10.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #559 of 584
  Hi I'm currently eyeing this dac to use on the 400i, whats the sound sig/tonality of this dac? and will this work while being plugged in the pc and charging?

The D14 is a little on the bright side and the 400i can have sharp highs. I personally do not like this pairing, as I think it sounds rather thin and lacks much bass oomph, which just accentuates a the sound signature of the headphones a bit too much. In the past, I've wondered if the 400i were even fully powered by the D14. I've since discovered that, mathematically speaking, they are, but they sure sound under-driven given the synergy of components. If you are looking for a cost-effective amp to go with them, I have demoed the 400i paired with the Fiio A5 and enjoyed that combination a lot better (especially with the bass boost).

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #560 of 584
The D14 is a little on the bright side and the 400i can have sharp highs. I personally do not like this pairing, as I think it sounds rather thin and lacks much bass oomph, which just accentuates a the sound signature of the headphones a bit too much. In the past, I've wondered if the 400i were even fully powered by the D14. I've since discovered that, mathematically speaking, they are, but they sure sound under-driven given the synergy of components. If you are looking for a cost-effective amp to go with them, I have demoed the 400i paired with the Fiio A5 and enjoyed that combination a lot better (especially with the bass boost).

How about this then ? :-

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #561 of 584
How about this then ? :-

That is a combo that will take you far in life. Probably the best value DAC/amp and amp out there.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #562 of 584

oh thanks for this info, yeah im looking for a better pair on the 400i and I already have the A5. I was more interested on the sabre 9018 dac but.. I will probably just hold on this, and wait if fiio decides to release a new desktop dac or something.

Apr 30, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #563 of 584
Hello, I'm new to digital and need some aid here. I have a D14 and want to use it as a DAC + desktop amp. I am planning on getting a chromecast and the D14 will connect to audioengine a2 speakers. What exact digital cable can I use between the chromecast and the d14? and is the 3.5 to rca the only way to the speakers? Could someone provide a link to the specific cable types on amazon? Many thanks!

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #564 of 584
Hello, I'm new to digital and need some aid here. I have a D14 and want to use it as a DAC + desktop amp. I am planning on getting a chromecast and the D14 will connect to audioengine a2 speakers. What exact digital cable can I use between the chromecast and the d14? and is the 3.5 to rca the only way to the speakers? Could someone provide a link to the specific cable types on amazon? Many thanks!

To connect the Chromecast Audio to the D14 you need a mini-Toslink to mini-Toslink cable, (https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Audi...493609720&sr=8-12&keywords=mini+toslink+cable). You plug this into the digital input of the D14.

For the speakers you need a 3.5mm to RCA cable (https://www.amazon.com/Cable-iXCC-S...9854&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=3.5mm+to+rca&psc=1). You plug this into the line out of the D14.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #566 of 584
Anyone have experience with an Ibasso D14 with an Oppo PM3?

Preferable with an smartphone connected to the Ibasso?

Or is an Ifi Nano IDSD an better solution?

I had the D14 up until I recently sold it and upgraded to the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label (similar to the Nano?). I loved the D14, but I never thought it sounded great with the PM-3. To me, it seemed to aggravate a resonance in the 1-2k region that I find particularly glaring (other people are much less bothered by it). EQ helped, but never rid me of the problem. In fact, it ended up making the headphones sound dull. I don't think it was an issue of being insufficiently powered by the D14, just a bad synergy.

For awhile, I used the D14 as a DAC and ran it to the iBasso P5 amp and the difference was huge. Less shouty in the mids, better extension at the top, and more control on the low-end. The P5 is still my favorite amp to drive the PM-3. Rich, tight low-end, detailed mids, and it minimizes the resonance. These days, I use a Sabre-based DAP and my P5 most frequently for these headphones.

The Black Label is an improvement in nearly every regard over the D14, as both DAC or amp. I enjoy pairing that with the PM-3's quite a bit. The headphones are efficient, but they do noticeably improve with a better amp. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Nano and I don't know how close it sounds to the Black Label.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #568 of 584
I'm currently considering between D14 and the Dragonfly Red, what would you prefer ?? I'm open for more suggestions. My setup are ATH M50x and SoundMagic E50s, main sources are my laptop Asus ROG GL552vx and S6 Active.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #569 of 584
I'm currently considering between D14 and the Dragonfly Red, what would you prefer ?? I'm open for more suggestions. My setup are ATH M50x and SoundMagic E50s, main sources are my laptop Asus ROG GL552vx and S6 Active.

I cannot weigh in on the Dragonfly, since I've never heard one, but I'll give you a little information about the D14 that may help you decide.

I ultimately sold my D14 because of the battery. The sound quality and power were fantastic. Lots of detail and clarity from the DAC without that Sabre glare that sometimes happens. The amp ran just about everything I owned at the time acceptably. I found the 400i about the most difficult to drive can that the D14 could do well. The headphones you mentioned should be fine.

But, there's the battery. I frequently found myself going from full charge to empty while at work. 6 hours was my realistic maximum. Driving something more demanding would lower that sometimes to less than 4 hours. That would be fine if the charging was fast or I could charge it while listening to music. Unfortunately, neither of those was true. I found myself constantly concerned about charging and battery status. Eventually I bought an external amp to alleviate the problem a bit, but then the issue became that the D14 has a very vague charge indicator and I was still charging it every night, just in case.

In other words, depending on your use and your tolerance of such things, the battery can be a real pain on the D14. Something to consider before buying.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #570 of 584
I cannot weigh in on the Dragonfly, since I've never heard one, but I'll give you a little information about the D14 that may help you decide.

I ultimately sold my D14 because of the battery. The sound quality and power were fantastic. Lots of detail and clarity from the DAC without that Sabre glare that sometimes happens. The amp ran just about everything I owned at the time acceptably. I found the 400i about the most difficult to drive can that the D14 could do well. The headphones you mentioned should be fine.

But, there's the battery. I frequently found myself going from full charge to empty while at work. 6 hours was my realistic maximum. Driving something more demanding would lower that sometimes to less than 4 hours. That would be fine if the charging was fast or I could charge it while listening to music. Unfortunately, neither of those was true. I found myself constantly concerned about charging and battery status. Eventually I bought an external amp to alleviate the problem a bit, but then the issue became that the D14 has a very vague charge indicator and I was still charging it every night, just in case.

In other words, depending on your use and your tolerance of such things, the battery can be a real pain on the D14. Something to consider before buying.
You should be able to use and charge the D14 at the same time.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back