MrSpeakers ETHER C Review / Announcement - A New Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Flagship from MrSpeakers
Apr 28, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,771 of 4,813
ahh .. ok ,, thanks :)

May 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #4,772 of 4,813
Is the Ether C going to work well with the Fiio X5 iii? I just sold my Mojo because I got tired of the disconnects from my iPhone and having to lug all those cables around. Have an X5 iii incoming. Considering an Ether C to compliment my LCD2F.

May 6, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,773 of 4,813
Is the Ether C going to work well with the Fiio X5 iii? I just sold my Mojo because I got tired of the disconnects from my iPhone and having to lug all those cables around. Have an X5 iii incoming. Considering an Ether C to compliment my LCD2F.

The ETHER C Flow pairs quite well (I upgraded from the ETHER 1.1). I use the X5iii at 40-60/120 on the volume knob, depending on the recording's levels (Tidal is typically around 40-50 volume, and my best recordings are typically 50-60 on the volume). The ETHER Flow C's signature compliments the smooth sound from the X5ii in my opinion. Personally I find the Mojo to be a much better source, but if you're having issues the X5iii can be a good all-in-one.

May 7, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #4,774 of 4,813
I unsold the Mojo. :)

After spending a few hours this morning with my new LCD2 which I really enjoy from a sound perspective, I am having some second thoughts in regard to comfort. They are so heavy. I should have just gone straight for the Ether C as a do everything rather than now considering it as another flavour.

May 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #4,775 of 4,813
I know one of you experts will know instantly whereas I've reached page 45 of this thread, 18 months behind! Exciting read though, first Ether C's just been sent out after a box delay :)

Can you confirm from the photo, that the braided cable is the Dum? Or could it be the standard that was an option with early orders? I bought an ex-demo pair from Electromod so a little in the dark exactly what I have.

IMG_5131.JPG

Also I have one already-inserted black Tuning Pad per side and subsequently one per side white pad that came in the posted box. What was a full 'set' when new?

I have seen on MrS website that an upgrade set of Tuning Pads can be purchased giving 1.1 status. Was that the only change in 1.1? I cannot see any dealer in U.K. showing the new set, can they be ordered direct from US site?

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,776 of 4,813
Yes that certainly looks like the dum Cable I have on mine,the tuning pads I received were 4 black and 2 white plus some instructions.The 1:1 revision is different it replaces the white shaped pad that covers the driver under the earpad,the 1:1 one's are a soft black Foam.
I got sent mine by the UK importer(Mark Doblear)

May 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,777 of 4,813
Yes that certainly looks like the dum Cable I have on mine,the tuning pads I received were 4 black and 2 white plus some instructions.The 1:1 revision is different it replaces the white shaped pad that covers the driver under the earpad,the 1:1 one's are a soft black Foam.
I got sent mine by the UK importer(Mark Doblear)

Thanks for clarifying Naimless. Is that Mark from Electromod? If so, he personally sold me his Ether he was carrying, via show sponsor Hiend Headphones. He mentioned it had one black pad when he looked, but I opened up last night after seeing how easy on a vid, and in fact it has a white felt and a black foam, so it seems it was already modded although serial 00325. No wonder it sounds so good :)

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #4,780 of 4,813
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 28, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #4,781 of 4,813
I just bought a used Ether C 1.1 - i have a quick question.

(The seller did not include the pad inserts, though I'm OK with that for now.)

In front of each driver is 1 white felt pad and 1 black foam pad. Is this the correct configuration for the 1.1? is there anything missing?

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #4,782 of 4,813
I just bought a used Ether C 1.1 - i have a quick question.

(The seller did not include the pad inserts, though I'm OK with that for now.)

In front of each driver is 1 white felt pad and 1 black foam pad. Is this the correct configuration for the 1.1? is there anything missing?

That's correct.

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #4,784 of 4,813
The ETHER C 1.1 is definitely tuned to a more linear bass presentation, it has less of the bump we've designed in below 100Hz on other models. It reaches deep but it's voiced pretty neutral. That said, glasses may break the seal, or poor adjustment. If the seal is broken you'll loose bass.

If you use software playback the headphone responds really well to EQ, you might also consider Amarra software, which has really easy to use, high quality DSP for EQ.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 29, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4,785 of 4,813
The ETHER C 1.1 is definitely tuned to a more linear bass presentation, it has less of the bump we've designed in below 100Hz on other models. It reaches deep but it's voiced pretty neutral. That said, glasses may break the seal, or poor adjustment. If the seal is broken you'll loose bass.

If you use software playback the headphone responds really well to EQ, you might also consider Amarra software, which has really easy to use, high quality DSP for EQ.

That's actually fine. I was interested in these because I wanted super neutral + closed back, for the summer when I'm sitting near an air conditioner in my apartment.

I'm actually thinking of reviewing these for the site I write for. I wanted to make sure that I had the correct 1.1 pad configuration beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back