MQA-capable DAC?
Feb 24, 2017 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

thyname

500+ Head-Fier
I only know of Mytek Brooklyn (about $2,000) that is MQA capable. And some expensive Meridian DACs.

Does anybody know of anything cheaper that is MQA-capable? Hopefully Roon Tested or Ready. And, hopefully includes Amp.

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 36
For a product that's currently available and I believe meets all of your stated needs including DAC with full MQA decoding, Roon ready, with amplification built in I'd suggest you look at the Bluesound PowerNode 2. It also supports wireless streaming including Tidal support for $799.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 36
I only know of Mytek Brooklyn (about $2,000) that is MQA capable. And some expensive Meridian DACs.

Does anybody know of anything cheaper that is MQA-capable? Hopefully Roon Tested or Ready. And, hopefully includes Amp.

Thanks!

Meridian dacs aren't necessarily expensive. The mqa-capable Explorer 2 is $200.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 36
For a product that's currently available and I believe meets all of your stated needs including DAC with full MQA decoding, Roon ready, with amplification built in I'd suggest you look at the Bluesound PowerNode 2. It also supports wireless streaming including Tidal support for $799.

I have a Node 2 for my home Audio system. It is great! Don't have the powernode, but the Node 2 sucks for headphones playback

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 36

Thanks!

Meridian dacs aren't necessarily expensive. The mqa-capable Explorer 2 is $200.

Not enough power to drive my HD 800.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 36
Not enough power to drive my HD 800.

You only said dac, not headphone amp. And you certainly didn't mention the hd800s . . .

For the hd800s, you're not gonna find anything cheaper than the Brooklyn.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 36
jcn3

You are right. My apologies for not mentioning headphones. I thought it was implied being a headphones message board.

Meridian Prime is one of them, but seems like outdated.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 36
I have a Node 2 for my home Audio system. It is great! Don't have the powernode, but the Node 2 sucks for headphones playback

I only suggested the PowerNode 2 since the OP specified a product with amp included, but I have no direct experience with Bluesound products driving headphones if that's the intent. The amp in the PowerNode 2 can drive many speakers directly with its rated 60 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Sorry if I misinterpreted your needs.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 36
OK, my apologies everyone.

I was asking for a good, relatively inexpensive, headphones DAC that is MQA capable. If it has a built amp, and Roon tested, would be great.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 36
I have a Brooklyn DAC that I'm using as a source for a Violectric V281 and HEX for headphones.  TIDAL is my primary source of music and I've played native MQA. I'm very pleased with the performance of the Brooklyn DAC. MQA sound has substantial detail and impact compared to the lossy formats that I have tried.  MQA is licenced to: Pioneer Corporation, Onkyo, Meridian Audio, 7digital so far.  (quote from WIKI)  My guess is that the licencing has a fairly high cost associated with or we would see more companies using it.  I'm sure that as the market increases, more companies will jump on board.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #11 of 36
Update (OP): ordered Meridian Explorer2

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 36
Jun 19, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 36
There is also Mytek's Clef, which is bluetooth capable portable MQA DA converter. Anyone has any experience with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back