Mobile rig FIIO X5, E18, IE80 upgrade - expert advice needed
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

surreysteve

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I seem to be building a pile of kit but not really getting to where I want to be.

I started using my Google Pixel XL and added a Fiio E18 KUNLUN as a DAC together with Sennheiser M2IEG momentum headphones. This created a nice sound but not great but gave me access to all my streaming services such as Google Music which seems to stream in reasonable quality. I read that the Pixel was not great in terms of transport nor DAC so started looking for something better.

I then found a Fiio X5 V2 in Amazons sale and coupled this with my FIIO E18 KUNLUN DAC. After some research I added some MEE Audio Pinnacle P1s. This gave me wonderful audio quality or at least I thought so at first. Unfortunately, longer term I found the MEE headphones slightly harsh for long term listening. I even found that I preferred going back to the sound of the cheaper Sennheiser Momentums. The other issue was that the FIiO X5 offers no streaming capabilities which is quite important.

Determined to get the best quality and also to find a sound I personally liked I purchased some Sennheiser IE80s - Bingo headphone problem solved - excellent quality and a sound I personally liked.

Now having got a great sounding rig : FIIO X5 V2 + FIIO E18 KUNLUN + Sennheiser IE80 - FIIO announce they have brought out a new version FIIO X5 V3 which has added streaming capability which I would love to use. Sods law!

So , before I made any more purchase OR started Ebaying the kit I have so far I thought I would seek opinions on whether to go for the FIIO X5 V3 and if there were any alternatives I am missing.

My criteria are:
  • Best sound quality I can find
  • Warm sound (Sennheiser IE80 do this for me)
  • Streaming capability
I no longer have a normal HiFi separates system so am prepared to spend a reasonable amount to achieve the above (although at some point I'd like to rationalise the mountain of kit I'm accumulating)

All advice welcomed

Thanks

Steve T

PS Just realised this may(?) be in wrong forum so have also added to help area?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back