MicroZOTL2 Upgrade Discovery Thread.....
Dec 1, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #46 of 102
I'm still enjoying my moderately upgraded microZotl2 (by Mojo Audio) with their Joule v5 power supply, quite sufficient
upgrades for mp3, FLAC and most audio files.  

However, to be honest, I REALLY miss the extreme upgraded microZotl2 that Ben Z from Mojo let me audition with the new Illuminati power supply. That rig was the closest toVinyl performance I have ever heard with better source files.

I just thought some of you would like to know that Mojo Audio appears to have finally caught up with their Illuminati back orders. From 8 weeks lead time down to 1 week now, and they expect to have inventory on the shelves by the end of the year. 

They finally posted photos and specifications on their website: 

http://www.mojo-audio.com/illuminati-power-supply/

There is even a professional review where Karl Sigman awarded the Illuminati "Star Component" on Audiophilia! 

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2016/10/29/mojo-audio-illuminati-power-supply

And Ben's personal extreme upgraded mZ2 and Illuminati that was used in the Audiophilia review is now with wildcatsare1 (Kevin) who will be reviewing it for Headphone List. I hear after Kevin that doctorjazz (Jack) should be receiving

the upgraded microZOTL2 and Illuminati to review it for Headphone Guru. 

From what I understand Kevin and Jack have both an upgraded microZOTL2 and a plug-and-play power cable that mates with their stock microZOTL2s, and they'll be comparing the Illuminati both on their personal microZOTL2s and on Ben's upgraded one. Kevin is listening to it right now so soon he should have something to report.

Happy Listening and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Dec 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #47 of 102
I promised Ben that I would post some impressions of my MicroZOTL2 upgrade to share with you all. It’s been almost 2 months since I received my unit back from Mojo Audio. Apologies to Ben and staff that it’s taken me awhile to get my act together and get around to this.

I went for the “extreme” upgrade to my MZ2:

1. Replace stock volume knob with 24-Step Goldpoint Attenuator
  2. Replace stock RCA jacks with Furutech RCA jacks
  3. Replace stock fuse with a Thermistor Fuse Upgrade
  4. 105C Capacitor Upgrade
  5. 24AWG UniCrystal Silver/Cotton Wiring Upgrade
  6. 1 M Hardwired ZOTL DC power Cable
  7. Stillpoints Ultra Mini legs and Standoffs
  8. B-Quiet Chassis treatment
  9. 4-Pin XLR Headphone Connector

The hardwired DC power cable was of course for the new Illuminati LPS that I also purchased from Mojo Audio.

In addition, I told Ben that I didn’t think I would ever have more than one RCA input to my MZ2, and inquired whether or not removing one of the sets of RCA inputs would improve SQ. If not, I didn’t mind keeping both sets of inputs. He replied that “less is always more” and switching to a single input by bypassing the modest quality input selector switch would notably improve performance.  I then asked, since both headphone and preamp outs were both active at the same time, whether or not having a switch to disable one when the other was in use would improve anything.  Ben indicated that another switch would slightly degrade performance, but he wasn’t certain if having both outputs playing at the same time isn’t also slightly degrading performance. He suggested that in terms of ergonomics and aesthetics, if I was removing the second set of RCA inputs, I could use the existing input selector switch to select between headphone and preamp outputs, so that’s what we settled on, and I instructed Ben to rewire the MZ2 to accomplish this.

Ben indicated that some of the parts I wanted him to use were on backorder and it would take a few extra days to arrive, but I didn’t mind as I had also decided to purchase a couple of other new items for my system so the extra time that my ZOTL2 was with him was spent waiting for delivery a couple of extra new toys to go along with the upgrade (more on that in a bit).

First off, let me just start off by saying that, unsurprisingly, my system sounds absolutely amazing. The very first thing I noticed was how black the background was. This of course can be attributed to the Illuminati LPS. Listening to Doug MacLeod’s “There’s a Time” album, I could definitely here some more low-level detail and bass impact with my HifiMan HEK’s which I am familiar with. I detected some improved transparency and a bit of an increase in sound stage width. There was just more “there” there.  What an amazing upgrade the LPS is to the entire system. Ben was kind enough to burn in my Illuminati for me while he was waiting the 10 days it took for my ZOTL2 to be shipped to him, and since he had to keep the amp a little while longer while some parts were backordered before he could start my upgrades, the Illuminati got some decent burn-in time that I was able to benefit from when it arrived back at my home.

What has kept me from posting impressions right away is that it just wasn’t the MZ2 upgrades that I embarked upon, I took the time that my MZ2 was away with Ben to also upgrade my DAC to the T+A DAC8 DSD and I also purchased the Focal Utopia headphones. So while I can say that my system sounds leaps and bounds better than what I had before I sent my amp off to Mojo, I’m struggling to quantify how much of the improvement I can directly attribute to the individual upgraded components of the ZOTL2, the Illuminati LPS, and the new T+A DAC and Utopias that are getting all my head time now.

With the Utopias, the micro resolution and transparency I’m now hearing is astonishing. I wish I had the Utopias before I sent my MZ2 off for upgrades so that I could intelligently say how much of an improvement the upgrades made. I’m sure that the upgrades are making a tremendous improvement to what I would have heard with the Utopias before I upgraded, but we’ll have to just chalk that up to an educated guess on my part.

Needless to say, Ben told me that with my upgrades and new Illuminati I would probably sh** myself when I heard how good it all sounds. While I’ve yet to soil my knickers, you can believe that I have a sh**-eating grin on my face every time I sit down for a session. I always thought that the ZOTL2 was punching way above it's price point when I first received it from Linear Tube Audio, but I have to say that I think, with even some modest upgrades and improved power supply, it's really stepped up several notches. I'm really looking forward to reading the reviews of the upgraded unit Ben is sending around to professional reviewers.

I especially have to give a huge shout-out to Ben at Mojo and his superb customer service. He was very patient with me, and helped walk me through a problem I was having with my system when I got it back from him. I was hearing some noise that I first thought might have been an issue with the upgrade. I was feeling like I was being a bit of a pest, bugging him with the issue, but over a long email exchange, he was able to help me identify that it was a ground loop issue with how I was powering my T+A DAC. Problem solved. Thanks Ben!

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #48 of 102
Funny, after I got my upgraded MZ2 and Illuminati, I started hearing noise from my Hugo DAC as well, but only when it was plugged in. The system becomes so sensitive and so powerful that you start to hear everything that was hidden before. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #49 of 102
  I promised Ben that I would post some impressions of my MicroZOTL2 upgrade to share with you all. It’s been almost 2 months since I received my unit back from Mojo Audio. Apologies to Ben and staff that it’s taken me awhile to get my act together and get around to this.

The hardwired DC power cable was of course for the new Illuminati LPS that I also purchased from Mojo Audio.

In addition, I told Ben that I didn’t think I would ever have more than one RCA input to my MZ2, and inquired whether or not removing one of the sets of RCA inputs would improve SQ. If not, I didn’t mind keeping both sets of inputs. He replied that “less is always more” and switching to a single input by bypassing the modest quality input selector switch would notably improve performance.  I then asked, since both headphone and preamp outs were both active at the same time, whether or not having a switch to disable one when the other was in use would improve anything.  Ben indicated that another switch would slightly degrade performance, but he wasn’t certain if having both outputs playing at the same time isn’t also slightly degrading performance. He suggested that in terms of ergonomics and aesthetics, if I was removing the second set of RCA inputs, I could use the existing input selector switch to select between headphone and preamp outputs, so that’s what we settled on, and I instructed Ben to rewire the MZ2 to accomplish this.

Ben indicated that some of the parts I wanted him to use were on backorder and it would take a few extra days to arrive, but I didn’t mind as I had also decided to purchase a couple of other new items for my system so the extra time that my ZOTL2 was with him was spent waiting for delivery a couple of extra new toys to go along with the upgrade (more on that in a bit).

First off, let me just start off by saying that, unsurprisingly, my system sounds absolutely amazing. The very first thing I noticed was how black the background was. This of course can be attributed to the Illuminati LPS. Listening to Doug MacLeod’s “There’s a Time” album, I could definitely here some more low-level detail and bass impact with my HifiMan HEK’s which I am familiar with. I detected some improved transparency and a bit of an increase in sound stage width. There was just more “there” there.  What an amazing upgrade the LPS is to the entire system. Ben was kind enough to burn in my Illuminati for me while he was waiting the 10 days it took for my ZOTL2 to be shipped to him, and since he had to keep the amp a little while longer while some parts were backordered before he could start my upgrades, the Illuminati got some decent burn-in time that I was able to benefit from when it arrived back at my home.

What has kept me from posting impressions right away is that it just wasn’t the MZ2 upgrades that I embarked upon, I took the time that my MZ2 was away with Ben to also upgrade my DAC to the T+A DAC8 DSD and I also purchased the Focal Utopia headphones. So while I can say that my system sounds leaps and bounds better than what I had before I sent my amp off to Mojo, I’m struggling to quantify how much of the improvement I can directly attribute to the individual upgraded components of the ZOTL2, the Illuminati LPS, and the new T+A DAC and Utopias that are getting all my head time now.

With the Utopias, the micro resolution and transparency I’m now hearing is astonishing. I wish I had the Utopias before I sent my MZ2 off for upgrades so that I could intelligently say how much of an improvement the upgrades made. I’m sure that the upgrades are making a tremendous improvement to what I would have heard with the Utopias before I upgraded, but we’ll have to just chalk that up to an educated guess on my part.

Needless to say, Ben told me that with my upgrades and new Illuminati I would probably sh** myself when I heard how good it all sounds. While I’ve yet to soil my knickers, you can believe that I have a sh**-eating grin on my face every time I sit down for a session. I always thought that the ZOTL2 was punching way above it's price point when I first received it from Linear Tube Audio, but I have to say that I think, with even some modest upgrades and improved power supply, it's really stepped up several notches. I'm really looking forward to reading the reviews of the upgraded unit Ben is sending around to professional reviewers.

I especially have to give a huge shout-out to Ben at Mojo and his superb customer service. He was very patient with me, and helped walk me through a problem I was having with my system when I got it back from him. I was hearing some noise that I first thought might have been an issue with the upgrade. I was feeling like I was being a bit of a pest, bugging him with the issue, but over a long email exchange, he was able to help me identify that it was a ground loop issue with how I was powering my T+A DAC. Problem solved. Thanks Ben!

Great review, I share a lot of impressions you had.
I am curious what's your take on HE1000 vs Utopia? I am guessing that you are using after market cables for them cuz Utopia come with 1/4" instead of 4pin XLR. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #50 of 102
  Great review, I share a lot of impressions you had.
I am curious what's your take on HE1000 vs Utopia? I am guessing that you are using after market cables for them cuz Utopia come with 1/4" instead of 4pin XLR. 

They're both wonderful headphones, but I have to give the nod to the Utopias. I find the Utopias more resolving and "faster", and to my ears, they sound simply fantastic. Yes, I have after market cables for both (I'm using a Norne Zoetic for the HEK's, and a Moon Black Dragon for the Utopias). But I'm not one that really believes in cables sounding all that different....my reasons for cable upgrades are strictly for comfort/aesthetic reasons. I had to use a replacement cable for the Utopias, because the stock cable is ridiculously long and heavy.

By the way, my HEK's are the "V1" version. I've also A/B'd the V2's, and to be honest, I just don't get what everyone is going on about how the V2's are so much better than the V1's. To my ears, they sounded pretty much the same. They felt a little different, but I think everyone is going way overboard about how the V1's are inferior to the V2's now....I just don't see it. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #51 of 102

Great review, thank you! I was wondering what you would consider modest upgrades and if you would have recommendation what to start with?

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #52 of 102
Out of fun and curiosity for those of us not so electronically gifted in the realm of DIY, how much is the MZ2 extreme upgrade that Mojo does?  Is it available to everyone, even those of us not ready for an upgraded LPS?  

I had the original MZ2.0 and now the S version.  I must say that there is no chance this one will leave my side and I have no desire for another tube amp.  Since I did not have both at the same time I cannot say how different Z vs non-Z are, but I am enjoying the HD800S more with the MZ2S.  There is definitely nothing wrong with the non-S, but I always craved a little more body when using the HD800S.  Now I am completely happy.  However, keep in mind that I did not tube roll with the non-S.  I also have a different DAC now as well, which may play a role (Mojo vs Gumby & now Spring DAC).  When I had the Elear, I also enjoyed that with the MZ2S more so than non-S owners with the same combo.  Naturally all of this is subjective but I am glad I returned the MZ2 to the chain rather than go with something completely new.  It was very tempting to get a good deal on a used MZ2, but figured there was enough incentive to get the slightly upgrade S version.   

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #53 of 102
  Great review, thank you! I was wondering what you would consider modest upgrades and if you would have recommendation what to start with?

The first thing I would strongly recommend would be upgrading to our Illuminati power supply
L3000.gif

wildcatsare1 borrowed one for his stock mZ2 over the past few weeks, so he could give you a fair comparison between our Illuminati and the LTA LPS on a stock mZ2.

As for modest upgrades to your mZ2 I would recommend the following:

1. Rewire and remove unused ins/outs with stock mZ2 wire.
2. Upgrade the volume pot to a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.
3. Upgrade the fuse to a Thermistor.
4. Upgrade the DC power jack to a hardwired DC power cable.
5. Upgrade connectors for primary input and output.

The above is the most bang-for-the-buck mZ2 upgrade.

The above upgrades could be done with an upgraded PSU or with the stock LTA LPS.

It costs a fraction of the upgrade Edmond had...that single crystal silver wire is both insanely expensive and the labor is quite intensive to install it
eek.gif

For more details and/or pricing contact me through PM or our website.

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #54 of 102

The first thing I would strongly recommend would be upgrading to our Illuminati power supply
L3000.gif

wildcatsare1 borrowed one for his stock mZ2 over the past few weeks, so he could give you a fair comparison between our Illuminati and the LTA LPS on a stock mZ2.

The above upgrades could be done with an upgraded PSU or with the stock LTA LPS.

It costs a fraction of the upgrade Edmond had...that single crystal silver wire is both insanely expensive and the labor is quite intensive to install it
eek.gif

What RCA's do you suggest? I used to use the silver Audio Note UK but they are just too expensive now. And many other have you going through a big chunk of bronze or brass with nickel and gold plating. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #55 of 102
Thanks a lot. I have 

L3000.gif

eek.gif

Thanks a lot! I only have that terrible, terrible LPS, what's it called again...oh yeah, I thinks its a Joule 
biggrin.gif

Regarding the attenuator: Would that be the V24-2-??

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #56 of 102

What RCA's do you suggest? I used to use the silver Audio Note UK but they are just too expensive now. And many other have you going through a big chunk of bronze or brass with nickel and gold plating. 

For over five years I only use Furutech's best connectors with rhodium/silver plated machined copper.

I've done upgrades for several dozen people over that time.

These people have owned the whose who in boutique audiophile connectors and nearly 100% of them have switched to Furutech after hearing the first set I've installed for them.

That's really saying something
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #57 of 102
  Thanks a lot. I have 
Thanks a lot! I only have that terrible, terrible LPS, what's it called again...oh yeah, I thinks its a Joule 
biggrin.gif

Regarding the attenuator: Would that be the V24-2-??

We installed both the V24-2 and the V47-2 for customers, but I think the 47-step is a bit of overkill.

I use a V24-2 in my personal mZ2.

And we've discontinued our Joule v5 power supply...and all the used trade ins have been sold off.

These days the only power supply upgrades we can offer for a mZ2 is our Illuminati.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #58 of 102
Thanks again

We installed both the V24-2 and the V47-2 for customers, but I think the 47-step is a bit of overkill.

I use a V24-2 in my personal mZ2.

And we've discontinued our Joule v5 power supply...and all the used trade ins have been sold off.

These days the only power supply upgrades we can offer for a mZ2 is our Illuminati.

Thanks again!

I know you discontinued the Joule v5. I would love to get the Illuminati but for now I'm happy with my Joule

Dec 20, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #59 of 102

For over five years I only use Furutech's best connectors with rhodium/silver plated machined copper.

I've done upgrades for several dozen people over that time.

These people have owned the whose who in boutique audiophile connectors and nearly 100% of them have switched to Furutech after hearing the first set I've installed for them.

That's really saying something
wink_face.gif

That is the brand I get for my headphones. Beautifully made and if you are going to have a big chunk of metal in the signal path they seem to do pretty good. 

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #60 of 102
Would an upgraded power supply add headroom? Or would it only lower the noise floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back