Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
Mar 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #481 of 500
The TC electronics level pilot is a reasonable analog solution to control volume to active monitors:

http://www.amazon.com/TC-Electronic-Resolution-Computer-Independent-Control/dp/B001PGMNRG

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #482 of 500
The TC electronics level pilot is a reasonable analog solution to control volume to active monitors:

http://www.amazon.com/TC-Electronic-Resolution-Computer-Independent-Control/dp/B001PGMNRG
That looks like the kind of solution I'm after.

With the dac going into my monitors being quite loud, and I mean very loud at low settings (ie I set the monitors on the second volume notch) would this offer a fair bit of play before getting that loud? (Eg if I set my volume on the monitors to say 6 notches which is about 1/3 volume)

And I saw a review that showed the output connections (left and right) are not that far apart so I'd need extra cables to connect this to my monitors. Has that changed, or as far as you know us it still the same?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #483 of 500
That looks like the kind of solution I'm after.

With the dac going into my monitors being quite loud, and I mean very loud at low settings (ie I set the monitors on the second volume notch) would this offer a fair bit of play before getting that loud? (Eg if I set my volume on the monitors to say 6 notches which is about 1/3 volume)

And I saw a review that showed the output connections (left and right) are not that far apart so I'd need extra cables to connect this to my monitors. Has that changed, or as far as you know us it still the same?

Thanks

I use one with my metrum pavane which I suspect would have a similar output to the hex, theres plenty of "play" before reaching higher levels and its a well made control with smooth travel and a solid feel about it.

The cable to the control is quite long then it branches into the two in and two out cables, these are fairly short, so unless your monitors are positioned either side of the dac you will need extensions either for the monitors or for the dac, depending where you want to place the control. My monitors are across the room from the dac so are on 5m extensions, the control is near my dac.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #484 of 500
I use one with my metrum pavane which I suspect would have a similar output to the hex, theres plenty of "play" before reaching higher levels and its a well made control with smooth travel and a solid feel about it.

The cable to the control is quite long then it branches into the two in and two out cables, these are fairly short, so unless your monitors are positioned either side of the dac you will need extensions either for the monitors or for the dac, depending where you want to place the control. My monitors are across the room from the dac so are on 5m extensions, the control is near my dac.
My monitors are either side of my 27" iMac.

I'll order some 5' xlr leads to connect to the monitors.

I'm thinking I may need to separate the monitors s little more as when I used he hex the seaparation of the instruments, spacing that I he hex gives, which is great on my hd800's but new from my monitors, may result in the monitors needing to be apart a bit more.

What did you find with the pavane?

EDIT: I've now ordered the TC. Thanks

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #485 of 500

The Tc level pilot arrived today.

It's working great - problem solved.

With the hex "bringing the ruckus" to my humble monitors my headphones/ears will get a bit of a break more often

many thanks for the suggestion. it also received metrum acoustics' blessing when i asked them about it too

ps: i'm not so sure about the messy cables sitting behind the dac though

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #487 of 500
Has any hex owners used a hd800 with the Norne Draug cable by any chance?

Wondering what the cable might bring or whether it unsettled the natural balance of the hex

Ta

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #488 of 500
Has anyone seen a comparative review of the HEX and MENUET anywhere?  I would like to know whether from the viewpoint of SQ the Menuet represents a substantial upgrade over the Hex, or whether it is a sidegrade at best.  I know the Menuet is going to sound "different," as all such upgrades do.  I just do not think that "different" = "better" in all cases, and am not sure an upgrade is always worth paying for if one already has the previous model (I have the Hex)...  I would appreciate some feedback on this front.  Thanks.

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #489 of 500
Has anyone seen a comparative review of the HEX and MENUET anywhere?  I would like to know whether from the viewpoint of SQ the Menuet represents a substantial upgrade over the Hex, or whether it is a sidegrade at best.  I know the Menuet is going to sound "different," as all such upgrades do.  I just do not think that "different" = "better" in all cases, and am not sure an upgrade is always worth paying for if one already has the previous model (I have the Hex)...  I would appreciate some feedback on this front.  Thanks.
The only info i have is a friend of mine had a brief listen to my hex earlier in the year (at a meet) and recently he had a brief listen to the menuet in store and he thought I would have no reason to change.

From memory i cant remember if he thought the hex was a little more natural or the menuet a little dry. But it was that kind of loose and brief comparisonand impressio he had

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #490 of 500
The only info i have is a friend of mine had a brief listen to my hex earlier in the year (at a meet) and recently he had a brief listen to the menuet in store and he thought I would have no reason to change.

From memory i cant remember if he thought the hex was a little more natural or the menuet a little dry. But it was that kind of loose and brief comparisonand impressio he had

I asked Metrum Acoustics customer service the same question, and they declined to compare the sq of the two on the grounds that the builds were different, which I already knew...  It did not surprise me that they declined to answer the real question regarding the two sqs, but I would say your friend's impressions do not surprise me either.  Thanks for your input.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #491 of 500
No disrespect to the hex at all. Apart from my cd's it's my most prized possession in audio gear. Great with my hd800 amd woo wa2.

But i recently bought an lcd2 for a bit of fun as an alternative. Im looking at some mid price amps for this. Found a cheap lehmann BCL that might suit.

But wondering how well suited the hex is with the lcd2. Is there any reason is should be considering another dac, ed a brighter, analytical and/or sabre dac. Or eg a vega dac that i wouldn't want for my hd800

Any experienced views would be much appreciated.

Ps did i mention i love my hex dac??

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #492 of 500
Does anyone know whether there is any danger in leaving on the Hex or any Metrum Acoustics DAC all the time, as one typically does for the Yggy? I noticed today that the Hex actually benefits from about a couple of hours of warm up (perhaps more), after it has stayed off for a while, and I was wondering if there was any harm it leaving it on 24/7, and only turning it off when I am going to stop listening to it for a lengthy period.

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #493 of 500
Does anyone know whether there is any danger in leaving on the Hex or any Metrum Acoustics DAC all the time, as one typically does for the Yggy? I noticed today that the Hex actually benefits from about a couple of hours of warm up (perhaps more), after it has stayed off for a while, and I was wondering if there was any harm it leaving it on 24/7, and only turning it off when I am going to stop listening to it for a lengthy period.
For the last few months i have left the dac on 24/7

I have found no issues at all.

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #495 of 500
For the last few months i have left the dac on 24/7

I have found no issues at all.

Good to know, although I still wonder whether Metrum Acoustics take any official position about it.
I have the Adagio :musical_score: and leave it on 24/7 since the manual says it takes some time for the circuitry to reach its stable optimal temperature for best sound.

Thanks for both encouraging answers. I have started leaving my Hex turned on. I've also sent an inquiry to Metrum Acoustics about this same issue, and I shall let you know what they say. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back