Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Apr 2, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #91 of 520
Are you on Mac or Windows? I believe the higher sample rates might be limited to Windows only, but I could be wrong. But the driver should enable that for you. 

Then again, I'm not sure Roon even goes that high. I only recall seeing 384kHz and DSD256 upsampling options, nothing higher. But I'm not home in front of Roon to check right now. I know some people use HQ Plater along with Roon to go DSD512 but I don't know that the native Roon upsampling (that arrived with Roon 1.3) goes quite that high. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #92 of 520
  Are you on Mac or Windows? I believe the higher sample rates might be limited to Windows only, but I could be wrong. But the driver should enable that for you. 

Then again, I'm not sure Roon even goes that high. I only recall seeing 384kHz and DSD256 upsampling options, nothing higher. But I'm not home in front of Roon to check right now. I know some people use HQ Plater along with Roon to go DSD512 but I don't know that the native Roon upsampling (that arrived with Roon 1.3) goes quite that high.

I'm on windows 10, and yes you're right, Roon only supports 384khz and DSD256 from the look of it. The Matrix's control panel can change output format and buffer setting. Sample rate setting on windows 10 driver properties only go up to 192khz. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, any bit of advice?  Thanks!

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #93 of 520

I'm on windows 10, and yes you're right, Roon only supports 384khz and DSD256 from the look of it. The Matrix's control panel can change output format and buffer setting. Sample rate setting on windows 10 driver properties only go up to 192khz. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, any bit of advice?  Thanks!

To be honest, I really only used the X-Sabre 2 with either the X-Server prototype or else my Aurender X100L music server. So I have no experience with the drivers or Windows in general. So I don't really know what else to suggest.

I bet if you had a music file encoded at 768kHz, you could play it in Foobar and the DAC would handle it just fine. But where to find a 768kHz file?

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #94 of 520

Try HQPlayer with Roon and set HQPlayer to do upsampling.

May 3, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #95 of 520
Looking forward to reviews and pics.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #96 of 520
This DAC certainly fell off the map. I'm not seeing a word about it anywhere.

Just got mine up and running. It may not be the flavor of the month but I am enjoying it greatly.

May 5, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #97 of 520
May 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #98 of 520
Any new word on this, or reviews/comments? I remember the original Matrix Mini from way back, and it was the sweetest sounding DAC I remember hearing at such a low price. I've been very curious about this DAC.

May 15, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #99 of 520
I will be doing a review in my mother tongue soon.
It is actually ready, just need a photo shoot.

Long story short I bought one myself after hearing it a longer period of time.
Awesome DAC, its not only technically impressive, it's also on a livelier and dynamic side.
I found the older X-Sabre be on a very neutral/linear side, X-Sabre Pro sounds a bit heavier and faster, with better impact and also a bit more musical with great tone to it. I love it
Pro also resolves better, with accurate pin-point imaging and placement of sounds, I couldn't find a con.

May 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #102 of 520
Found some pictures of the inside of this dac. For more check out the (not yet finished) review at 6moons: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/matrix/1.html

open.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #105 of 520
anyone compared this to Bruson's latest V2+ or Auralic Vega or Altair?!? Curious for a new dac and looking at this or going auralic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back