Looking to get into DIY, Advice?
May 8, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
200+ hours!!!!! holy shmoly. I dont think i can handle that. I was hoping to hear 75.

We shall see. I think ill start with a cmoy this summer, if you were to build that m3 again, how long do you think it would take you the 2nd time?

It was not a standard build. I'm sure you could do a standard build in under 75 hours.

A second time... hmm. Well, there are some things I would do differently, like use a metal case (wood is really nice, though. it's just that panel mount parts are designed for metal, which requires you to make a lot of recesses in the wood.) I would also do seperate cases. But, these two things would save time.

I'd say I'd be able to shave off at least 50 hours, maybe even up to 100. I did tons of research, which was a huge block of time. Now I have a good idea about what parts to buy and a sorta-parts list that wouldn't need much changing.

May 8, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #17 of 19
Thats much better
smily_headphones1.gif
and i didn't think you were counting research time!

What wasnt standard about your build besides the case?

May 9, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Me in an email I sent recently
I didn't implement any sound enhancements. I just added a lot of features, such as the ability to drive speakers, input select, and gain select. For them, I researched the parts and planned out the implementation, and I had to do a lot more wiring. Other, more minor additions were the switches to mute the the headphone, speaker, and preamp outs, a loop out, multiple headphone jacks, and the leds in the front; all the wiring really added up. Also, the case was custom built by my father and made entirely out of wood; it took him a long time to drill out all the holes and recesses for all the mounted objects. Wood is very difficult to use for the front and back panels of an amplifier since almost every case mounted part is designed for thin metal.

Wiring and research took the longest for me. If you can reduce those two as much as possible, then your build will be easier.

I'll post some pics soon, as I just installed the major pain in the ass Cardas Patented Binding Posts.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 19
1. You need to learn circuit knowledge
2. Buy some cheap components to practice their own hands
3. After doing some products with some teachers to communicate, to help you improve the shortcomings of continuous improvement

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/DIY/1396671_506804501.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back