LG V20 Sound Quality
May 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,566 of 4,141
Yes, that is correct, if I understand you correctly.

One other thing, and this is not directed solely at you.

Those who are claiming that the Quad DAC's are only activated when the phone is in high impedance mode is doing all who read this thread a disservice. I firmly believe that these individuals have either simply misunderstood what LG has written on the matter or LG has actually not been precise in their description of how the DAC's work. There exists in the set-up menu of the V20 a toggle for activating the Quad DAC's. I believe as long as that toggle is in the on position you are utilizing all four DAC chips.

There may indeed be a difference in the sound when initiating high gain mode, but it is more than likely these changes are completely independent of the activation of the Quad DAC's.

Think about it logically. It makes absolutely no sense for LG to restrict the ability to access all four DAC chips and subsequently the full potential of the built in music app, based on same vague determination of what is or isn't high quality playback equipment based simply on a set of headphones impedance.

Frankly, despite how some individuals decide to decipher what LG has written on the subject the entire assumption that only high impedance headphones can utilize the full benefit of the Quad DAC's is ludicrous and nothing more than an assumption until LG weighs in with a definitive answer, which as far as I know, they have not.

I would like to think the same way and that's how I initially understood things about this phone. I just had a quick pass on some pages of this thread and have seen people claiming that the quad DACs are only working when the phone is on high impedance mode. That doesn't really seem logical if you think about it or just how we would like to think regarding the function. If that's true, then this phone is completely an audiophile's phone which is kind of too technical for normal users or music enthusiasts only. But for now, I agree that the HiFi toggle serves its function to activate all four DACs when turned on and will exert their full capabilities when a high impedance device is detected.

Anyway, thanks for your well-educated answer to my question and for your opinion regarding the quad DACs. Let's hope this will finally be put to rest by some more accurate clarification by LG to avoid confusion and misunderstanding among some of the users and curious people alike.

May 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,567 of 4,141
I would like to think the same way and that's how I initially understood things about this phone. I just had a quick pass on some pages of this thread and have seen people claiming that the quad DACs are only working when the phone is on high impedance mode. That doesn't really seem logical if you think about it or just how we would like to think regarding the function. If that's true, then this phone is completely an audiophile's phone which is kind of too technical for normal users or music enthusiasts only. But for now, I agree that the HiFi toggle serves its function to activate all four DACs when turned on and will exert their full capabilities when a high impedance device is detected.

Anyway, thanks for your well-educated answer to my question and for your opinion regarding the quad DACs. Let's hope this will finally be put to rest by some more accurate clarification by LG to avoid confusion and misunderstanding among some of the users and curious people alike.

I am currently in contact with LG in hopes of obtaining a definitive answer to this debate finally putting it to rest one way or the other. As soon as I know I will post LG's response here. Stay tuned and wish me luck.

May 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,568 of 4,141
Yeah there are a lot of talk but no proofs.

May 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #2,569 of 4,141
I am currently in contact with LG in hopes of obtaining a definitive answer to this debate finally putting it to rest one way or the other. As soon as I know I will post LG's response here. Stay tuned and wish me luck.

Thank you for doing all of us a favor. I appreciate your effort. Let's hope LG do give something that will end the confusion about this particular matter.

May 23, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #2,570 of 4,141
May 23, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #2,571 of 4,141
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv20/comments/62mnbx/how_to_put_v20_in_high_impedance_mode_without_root/

Is this source reliable? Quoted a sentence from a post.

"The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed, to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio or using lower quality headsets." – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG

It sounds quite logical though.

Well, the lower quality audio part seems logical, like with any file that is of lower quality of lets say 16/44.1, but how would or could the phone determine that the headset being used is of low quality? What is the criteria? Certainly not just the impedance rating, that would be completely illogical as that spec has absolutely no correlation, direct or otherwise, to the sound quality of any particular headset.

The problem I have with the quote and the corresponding thread attached to it, is that the OP is claiming that in normal mode the Quad DAC's will not and cannot be activated, but nowhere does the representative from LG's quote claim or even imply that. Read it carefully. This is what I referred to by misunderstanding. The quote does mention lower quality music. To me this would indicate that if you are listening to hi-res files say anything above 16/44.1 the full Quad DAC'S should be engaged regardless of which mode the phone is in. No one in that entire thread even mentions, addresses or aknowledges the low quality music part of the quote. It"s as if it wasn't even there.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #2,572 of 4,141
Well, the lower quality audio part seems logical, like with any file that is of lower quality of lets say 16/44.1, but how would or could the phone determine that the headset being used is of low quality? What is the criteria? Certainly not just the impedance rating, that would be completely illogical as that spec has absolutely no correlation, direct or otherwise, to the sound quality of any particular headset.

The problem I have with the quote and the corresponding thread attached to it, is that the OP is claiming that in normal mode the Quad DAC's will not and cannot be activated, but nowhere does the representative from LG's quote claim or even imply that. Read it carefully. This is what I referred to by misunderstanding. The quote does mention lower quality music. To me this would indicate that if you are listening to hi-res files say anything above 16/44.1 the full Quad DAC'S should be engaged regardless of which mode the phone is in. No one in that entire thread even mentions, addresses or aknowledges the low quality music part of the quote. It"s as if it wasn't even there.

Could the quote be interpreted as, " The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed (Users can turn on/off through the HiFi toggle. On = Needed? Off = Not needed?), to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio (users are currently listening to normal/non high res music) or (using lower quality headsets = some casual IEMs?)

This also sounds about right. :slight_smile:

May 23, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #2,573 of 4,141
Could the quote be interpreted as, " The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed (Users can turn on/off through the HiFi toggle. On = Needed? Off = Not needed?), to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio (users are currently listening to normal/non high res music) or (using lower quality headsets = some casual IEMs?)

This also sounds about right. :slight_smile:

I think that is exactly right. My issue is with those in this thread and in the thread where the LG quote was referenced who insist that the Quad DAC's are only active in high impedance mode when this has never been indicated specifically by LG.

May 23, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #2,574 of 4,141
Yes, that is correct, if I understand you correctly.

One other thing, and this is not directed solely at you.

Those who are claiming that the Quad DAC's are only activated when the phone is in high impedance mode is doing all who read this thread a disservice. I firmly believe that these individuals have either simply misunderstood what LG has written on the matter or LG has actually not been precise in their description of how the DAC's work. There exists in the set-up menu of the V20 a toggle for activating the Quad DAC's. I believe as long as that toggle is in the on position you are utilizing all four DAC chips.

There may indeed be a difference in the sound when initiating high gain mode, but it is more than likely these changes are completely independent of the activation of the Quad DAC's.

Think about it logically. It makes absolutely no sense for LG to restrict the ability to access all four DAC chips and subsequently the full potential of the built in music app, based on same vague determination of what is or isn't high quality playback equipment based simply on a set of headphones impedance.

Frankly, despite how some individuals decide to decipher what LG has written on the subject the entire assumption that only high impedance headphones can utilize the full benefit of the Quad DAC's is ludicrous and nothing more than an assumption until LG weighs in with a definitive answer, which as far as I know, they have not.

This is one article I had come across and maybe it can let us have a better understanding on how the amp dac works within the V20 .

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

It's probably a battery savings mode one way or another if that's what said is true regarding the shut down on one of its 4 onboard ESS dac .

As for the huge difference in the sound when initiating high gain mode, I agreed with you it is more than likely these changes are completely independent of the activation of the Quad DAC's .

I had a clearer and better understanding after come across and had a good read

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...eadphones-decent-without-breaking-bank-3.html

May 23, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #2,575 of 4,141
This is one article I had come across and maybe it can let us have a better understanding on how the amp dac works within the V20 .

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

It's probably a battery savings mode one way or another if that's what said is true regarding the shut down on one of its 4 onboard ESS dac .

As for the huge difference in the sound when initiating high gain mode, I agreed with you it is more than likely these changes are completely independent of the activation of the Quad DAC's .

I had a clearer and better understanding after come across and had a good read

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...eadphones-decent-without-breaking-bank-3.html

Yes, I have read both the article and the forum thread you linked among others.

I firmly believe that as long as the Quad DAC is toggled on and you see the Hi-fi indication at the top of the screen, while listening to music through headphones, you are utilizing the Quad DAC to it's full abilities and potential regardless of which impedance mode you are in.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,576 of 4,141

I firmly believe that as long as the Quad DAC is toggled on and you see the Hi-fi indication at the top of the screen, while listening to music through headphones, you are utilizing the Quad DAC to it's full abilities and potential regardless of which impedance mode you are in.

I agree.

May 23, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #2,577 of 4,141

Unfortunately that doesn't work out on my initially pairing of the V20 and my asg2.5 on normal low gain mode , regardless of whether the Quad DAC has been activated toggled on or the Hi-fi indication at the top of the screen , the sonic I'm getting through my 2.5 is very underpowered and

The initial experience left me with a bitter taste .
After which Until I implement the Adapter trick to high impedance mode , from there onwards , it all changed , I had no complaints whatsoever .

Even though the asg2.5 is under the Impedance of 50ohms , it already proved to me that on normal mode , the V20 doesn't really makes the cut of driving the asg2.5 , it simply lacks the power to drive .

But having said that , the V20 on low gain normal mode did drive the 20+ohms B&O play headset which original comes with my V20 with adequate power , and also drive very well with the rest of my under 50ohms Chinese made iem .
For some reason , I never got the V20 to work with the asg2.5 on normal mode compared to the good results of the rest of my under 50ohms iem .

In short , that doesn't mean the V20 on normal mode ( low gain ) , regardless of whether the Quad DAC is being activated or not are capable , adequate enough to drive below 50ohms iem , headphones to expectations / user satisfaction .

I believed not every under the Impedance of 50ohms iem , headphones can be easily , adequate enough to be driven by the V20 on normal gain mode , I strongly believe there's some others iem/ headphones which is under 50ohms need the high impedance mode to really perform .
That's what I had experienced with my below 50ohms asg2.5 .
Even though it's under 50ohms , it needs the V20 to be on high impedance mode to drive . Without high impedance mode , it's rubbish .

Anyone else has similar experience with a pair of under 50ohms iem , headphones on normal mode which is hard to drive on the V20 ?

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #2,578 of 4,141
Unfortunately that doesn't work out on my initially pairing of the V20 and my asg2.5 on normal low gain mode , regardless of whether the Quad DAC has been activated toggled on or the Hi-fi indication at the top of the screen , the sonic I'm getting through my 2.5 is very underpowered and

The initial experience left me with a bitter taste .
After which Until I implement the Adapter trick to high impedance mode , from there onwards , it all changed , I had no complaints whatsoever .

Even though the asg2.5 is under the Impedance of 50ohms , it already proved to me that on normal mode , the V20 doesn't really makes the cut of driving the asg2.5 , it simply lacks the power to drive .

But having said that , the V20 on low gain normal mode did drive the 20+ohms B&O play headset which original comes with my V20 with adequate power , and also drive very well with the rest of my under 50ohms Chinese made iem .
For some reason , I never got the V20 to work with the asg2.5 on normal mode compared to the good results of the rest of my under 50ohms iem .

In short , that doesn't mean the V20 on normal mode ( low gain ) , regardless of whether the Quad DAC is being activated or not are capable , adequate enough to drive below 50ohms iem , headphones to expectations / user satisfaction .

I believed not every under the Impedance of 50ohms iem , headphones can be easily , adequate enough to be driven by the V20 on normal gain mode , I strongly believe there's some others iem/ headphones which is under 50ohms need the high impedance mode to really perform .
That's what I had experienced with my below 50ohms asg2.5 .
Even though it's under 50ohms , it needs the V20 to be on high impedance mode to drive . Without high impedance mode , it's rubbish .

Anyone else has similar experience with a pair of under 50ohms iem , headphones on normal mode which is hard to drive on the V20 ?

I do have a few IEMs under 50 ohms, the V20 cant drive well with HiFi mode toggled on. I do agree that the output to drive IEMs is quite weak and hence others are using those impedance adapter to crank up the power to get louder/fuller sounds. Whether it sounds louder or whether its the quad DAC that is taking place, I am not too sure either. My volume with HiFi mode toggled on is mininum 55 with normal mode and 30 using the high impedance mode.

May 23, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,579 of 4,141
I do have a few IEMs under 50 ohms, the V20 cant drive well with HiFi mode toggled on. I do agree that the output to drive IEMs is quite weak and hence others are using those impedance adapter to crank up the power to get louder/fuller sounds. Whether it sounds louder or whether its the quad DAC that is taking place, I am not too sure either. My volume with HiFi mode toggled on is mininum 55 with normal mode and 30 using the high impedance mode.

Actually on low impedance normal mode , it did drive well and acceptable with the B&O play headset and my various China made iem all below the Impedance of 50ohms .

The problem I had encountered with the below 50ohms ASG2.5 on low impedance normal mode on the V20 is too much underpowered , even though I crank up till maximum volume , the driver on the ASG 2.5 hardly move at all , and it sound pathetic low , there's no energetic to speak of , apparently it's lack the necessary voltage / currents needs to push the drivers on the asg2.5 .

The low impedance normal mode from the V20 is not capable and output adequate enough of gain to properly drive the Asg 2.5 . It just need the high gain mode on the V20 to drive it .

Once kick into high impedance mode , Those problem goes away .

May 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,580 of 4,141
I have been enjoying my new V20 with the Player Pro app. From what I have read here this app will pass along the signal without re-sampling to android native 48Khz. I am all up in my head worrying about if this is actually working. I am NOT using the DSP Pack they sell, and I am NOT using the EQ feature, but I am adding a little bass with the bass boost feature. Of course I am worried that this might initiate some sort of re-sampling. Argh. What concerns me is that the stock music app does not allow any eq enhancements when hi-res files are playing, but Player Pro does. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with Player Pro or thoughts on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back