LG G6 Sound Quality
Apr 24, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #121 of 453

For those interested in the H870DS, it should be noted that (contrary to "Never-MSRP's" listing), it does not include band 17 which appears to be the primary band that AT&T (and subsidiaries like Cricket) use for LTE/4G. Unfortunately I had to figure that out the hard way. 

Oh no. Does it at least include band 12, which is inter-operable with band 17? I was really, really worried about this! The LG Hong Kong site lists everything except band 17 and then when I saw never-msrp's listing, I figured they knew what they were talking about and didn't just copy/paste the wrong specs. Please tell me this isn't true! I'm on Cricket in the US on the line I'm planning on using. This is saddening to read. 

-Collin-

Edit: LG's website lists band 12, which should be fully compatible with 17 on LTE. It does, however, show that it's missing band 2 which is another major band on AT&T. So still not good for me :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #122 of 453
I remember reading somewhere that at&t was forced to use band 12 instead of 17 so the absence of band 17 shouldn't be a big deal as long as 12 is there.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #123 of 453

Oh no. Does it at least include band 12, which is inter-operable with band 17? I was really, really worried about this! The LG Hong Kong site lists everything except band 17 and then when I saw never-msrp's listing, I figured they knew what they were talking about and didn't just copy/paste the wrong specs. Please tell me this isn't true! I'm on Cricket in the US on the line I'm planning on using. This is saddening to read. 

-Collin-

Edit: LG's website lists band 12, which should be fully compatible with 17 on LTE. It does, however, show that it's missing band 2 which is another major band on AT&T. So still not good for me :frowning2:

As mentioned in my PM I drop right down to 3G (about 4 Mbps down/1 Mbps up). Looking on a few forums, band 17 is the primary LTE band for AT&T/Cricket, considered by most to be the necessary band for good LTE in most places. I confirmed that I lack band 17 using LTE Discovery on both this phone and a phone I know gets LTE. I did see LTE once over the weekend in a big city, but I'm thinking it must have been band 5. I just noticed that you're right, the phone doesn't get band 2 either. 

Oh, and if it's inter-operable with band 12, I'm not seeing any real world difference.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #124 of 453

Oh, and if it's inter-operable with band 12, I'm not seeing any real world difference.

Are you going to keep the phone? Or return it to them? I may just refuse the delivery; no band 2 is a deal breaker as it's one of the primary bands for AT&T here in the Bay Area. Thanks for sharing this. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #125 of 453

Are you going to keep the phone? Or return it to them? I may just refuse the delivery; no band 2 is a deal breaker as it's one of the primary bands for AT&T here in the Bay Area. Thanks for sharing this. 

Well, I opened it and started using it before I noticed that band 17 was missing. There's a 25% restocking fee for opened items. I'm going to jump onto MetroPCS to see if I get LTE with them. I had them once before in this area, and had pretty bad signal, but apparently they've updated the infrastructure considerably since then. So, yeah, I'm keeping it for now. It's a fantastic phone other than that, and the Quad DAC gives a noticeable bump in sound quality when engaged, though it's not nearly as loud as I was hoping. Apparently (and I guess this was true with the V20 as well?) the phone automatically limits the volume based on the impedance of the headphones you plug in. Might have to root some day down the road just to work around the limiter. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #126 of 453

Well, I opened it and started using it before I noticed that band 17 was missing. There's a 25% restocking fee for opened items. I'm going to jump onto MetroPCS to see if I get LTE with them. I had them once before in this area, and had pretty bad signal, but apparently they've updated the infrastructure considerably since then. So, yeah, I'm keeping it for now. It's a fantastic phone other than that, and the Quad DAC gives a noticeable bump in sound quality when engaged, though it's not nearly as loud as I was hoping. Apparently (and I guess this was true with the V20 as well?) the phone automatically limits the volume based on the impedance of the headphones you plug in. Might have to root some day down the road just to work around the limiter. 

Cool. If they mis-advertised the specs you shouldn't have to pay that 25%. 

For the volume, just grab an aux adapter and plug it in before your headphones. It will give you way more volume, if you need it. I've been doing that darn trick since the V10 haha. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #127 of 453

Ebay has a money back guarantee so this may fall under it since it isn't what you received. You may want to look into that to see if that policy will help you in your situation.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #129 of 453
Anyone tried the pure surround from the LG player EQ setting...quite enjoyable.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #130 of 453
Well sadly I'm getting the exact same thing. Definitely no Band 2 LTE and Band 12/17 isn't working at all for me either, despite it saying it is supported on the box. This is not the phone for AT&T I'm afraid.

The sound is great and I love the feel of the phone. Now I have to decide if it's worth switching one of my lines to T-Mobile to use instead. Seems a hassle, but maybe worth it.

-Collin-

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #131 of 453
Hey guys. I got my G6 and it's everything I expected it to be. Great improvement in terms of sound quality over my HTC 10 in almost everyday (maybe a little less bass). As for the bands, I live in Canada and using Telus as my wireless provider and i'm getting a very solid LTE performance over band 7. This phone is all kind of great, highly recommended, just make sure to doublecheck bands before purchasing.

Apr 30, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #133 of 453
Hey guys. I got my G6 and it's everything I expected it to be. Great improvement in terms of sound quality over my HTC 10 in almost everyday (maybe a little less bass). As for the bands, I live in Canada and using Telus as my wireless provider and i'm getting a very solid LTE performance over band 7. This phone is all kind of great, highly recommended, just make sure to doublecheck bands before purchasing.
Do you think the G6's amp output as much (volts) volume as Htc10's amp. does? How loud does the g6 gets compare with htc10? Thanks.

Apr 30, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #134 of 453
I see where some have mentioned that the quad-DAC G6 (H870DS) is fully compatible with US T-Mobile, but according the LG website, it doesn't support B2 for 4G (only for 2G and 3G). TMobile uses B2, B4 and B12 for 4G.

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/mobile-phone/lg-LGH870DS

In fairness, T-Mobile seems to only use B2 for 4G in certain areas where they've updated old 2G towers to serve 4G. B4 and B12 are the main bands.

Would love to see a proper comparison of the G6 H879DS and the V20 to see if the G6's audio improves enough on the V20 to be worth the lack of 4G support on B2.

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #135 of 453
Do you think the G6's amp output as much (volts) volume as Htc10's amp. does? How loud does the g6 gets compare with htc10? Thanks.

I don't have any reference, but I don't find the Asian version of the G6 to be very loud, or at least, not as loud as I was hoping. I have to use Poweramp's preamp to boost the volume to appreciable levels. I tried doing the aux adapter trick that SeeSax suggested, but it distorted the sound, and didn't seem much louder. I was hoping for blow my eardrums out loud, and I find that, without Poweramp's preamp engaged (especially from streaming content while I'm at the gym), I'm constantly thumbing the volume up and realizing I'm already at max.

I've talked to folks about this on other forums, and they seem to find the volume more than loud enough, and never seem to come close to max, so it may just be me. My time in the military, and decades attending loud shows has probably done a number to my hearing, so I'm probably not the best judge, but I was hoping for something more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back