LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #256 of 276

Quote:
So what if you add this marvelously advanced acoustic damping material to an un-veiled pair and bring the treble shelf up a little more?  Might it it give the 009 a run for its money after that?

Been done already, needs to be something other than TP if anything at all.  Actually, purrin's pair has very impressive treble.  Best I've heard from an Audeze.  I'd say the treble clarity is on par w/ the 009 and might be more natural from recollection w/o the potential fatigue some might experience.  I didn't have that issue but some complained and I'm sure that's quite system dependent too.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #257 of 276

Quote:
Quote:

lol, thank god, Audeze reputation saved!
tongue.gif

LMAO!

Quote:
So what if you add this marvelously advanced acoustic damping material to an un-veiled pair and bring the treble shelf up a little more?  Might it it give the 009 a run for its money after that?

Already tried it. It closes things in a bit and the headphone loses some speed. The stock foam is good.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #258 of 276
Quote:
Been done already, needs to be something other than TP if anything at all.  Actually, purrin's pair has very impressive treble.  Best I've heard from an Audeze.  I'd say the treble clarity is on par w/ the 009 and might be more natural from recollection w/o the potential fatigue some might experience.  I didn't have that issue but some complained and I'm sure that's quite system dependent too.

That's a pretty strong endorsement.  I need to hear a good pair these...

Quote:
Already tried it. It closes things in a bit and the headphone loses some speed. The stock foam is good.

Awesome that you already tried it.  Its always worth asking if you can squeeze more performance out of it for a fraction of a penny.

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #259 of 276
That is impressive.  I thought the treble on the veiled LCD-3 was one of it's biggest drawbacks.  It made cymbals sound plodding and mechanical.  Just a huge lack of air up there. (for the price at least)

And it's interesting that all this could happen with very little change in FR. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #260 of 276

Also, the whole bit about "quilted", etc. LOL. this thread is FUNNY! but cotton is good material... in its various formats.
Quote:
I guess the real question is if various brands of toilet paper will have different sonic effects?  Then there will be the one-ply vs. two-ply debate...
wink_face.gif

Looks interesting, I'll have to try it out!  Thanks, Purrin!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oh yeah, embossed or not embossed?

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #261 of 276
Well, it's not all roses but pretty close.  Having such sweet, clear bass, treble and air (relative to Audeze) kind of made the vocals a slight touch pushed back for my tastes.  Not quite as neutral as I recalled the last broken pair.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #262 of 276

Quote:
That is impressive.  I thought the treble on the veiled LCD-3 was one of it's biggest drawbacks.  It made cymbals sound plodding and mechanical.  Just a huge lack of air up there. (for the price at least)

And it's interesting that all this could happen with very little change in FR. 

Measurements are funky with the LCD3. When I have time, I'll post a few uncompensated measurements comparing the various pair I've measured.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #263 of 276
Quote:
Well, it's not all roses but pretty close.  Having such sweet, clear bass, treble and air (relative to Audeze) kind of made the vocals a slight touch pushed back for my tastes.  Not quite as neutral as I recalled the last broken pair.

A little EQ will fix the vocals.  It won't give anything else that kind of bass.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #266 of 276

Quote:
A little EQ will fix the vocals.  It won't give anything else that kind of bass.

Eh, stop it!  I've always said the only time I'd EQ is if it was 1, maybe 2 bands at most.  I have enough of hard time deciding which is the better dynamic.  The two are so close now but for different reasons but a lot closer.  I just want someone to make an LCD4 or HD900 first so I don't have to figure it our on my own.  Plus people are making proper Stat amps too it seems (LL/ Aristeaus/Electra, etc).  Hopefully my incoming JBLs just make me quite the whole business.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #267 of 276
Quote:
Eh, stop it!  I've always said the only time I'd EQ is if it was 1, maybe 2 bands at most.  I have enough of hard time deciding which is the better dynamic.  The two are so close now but for different reasons but a lot closer.  I just want someone to make an LCD4 or HD900 first so I don't have to figure it our on my own.  Plus people are making proper Stat amps too it seems (LL/ Aristeaus/Electra, etc).  Hopefully my incoming JBLs just make me quite the whole business.

Hehe...

I'd start with +3dB at 4kHz with 1.5 octave bandwidth and go from there.

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #268 of 276
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention the "open source" speaker project I was talking about with LFF today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back