LCD3 Kirkland Bath Tissue Edition, a.k.a. ToiletPants
Dec 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #241 of 276

Quote:

Thanks Purrin. I had forgotten this post! I appreciate your amp suggestions too, and will definitely consider the Apex'. Still, my LCD-3 has changed so much for the better recently (burn in + mod) that I don't have any trouble with the Bifrost/Lyr combo anymore. And the Lyr is certainly worth more than its stock tubes allow it to: with the 60s Siemens CCa (thanks to Mister Rogers) the improvement is not small. Plenty of slam, great bass and treble extension and larger soundstage. Before upgrading the DAC/Amp setup, I will wait for Schiit's statement DAC/Amp: judging from the Bifrost/Lyr combo, it should rock...

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #243 of 276

Quote:
I find this thread unusually amusing. Upgrading, what is imo, an already heavily over priced, albeit brilliant piece of audio hardware with...well...one of the cheapest and most insignificant products known to man. The irony involved is quite hilarious, especially given the context of the mod materials in question.

Not really sure how "insignificant" the specific product is that you are talking about.  I don't think any of us ever go a day without it. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #246 of 276

Quote:
Purrin Quote:
rhythmdevils said:

That's not DIY. 
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/422429/cavalli-ehha-embedded-hybrid-headphone-amp

http://glassjaraudio.com/category.sc;jsessionid=20AD13401D9F389923FD19FF0EDF7368.qscstrfrnt04?categoryId=6

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #249 of 276
  1. The ToiletPants mod is now defunct.
  2. Audeze's new LCD3s that they have been shipping are superior to the "veiled LCD3 + TP" 
  3. As of ~March 2012, the new "un-veiled LCD3" do not require TP and IMO a "significant" improvement over the LCD2r2.
  4. In comparison, the "veiled LCD3 + TP" could only be said to be an "incremental" improvement over the LCD2r2.
  5. Whether the level of improvement is worth it is up to the individual. Of course an audition is highly recommended.

Just in "outline" mode today from doing too many Powerpoint slides for work - not trying to be rude or anything like that.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #250 of 276
How does one know if they have a "veiled" or "not veiled" LCD-3?  I bought a second hand pair that were received back in December.  How can I tell?

BTW - I completely understand the PowerPoint mode

but I find
myself in Excel
mode more often

lol

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #251 of 276

Quote:
How does one know if they have a "veiled" or "not veiled" LCD-3? 

You listen to them......

And, when you are able to compare them with another set, and they sound veiled, you send them back to Audeze to get fixed.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #252 of 276

Quote:
How does one know if they have a "veiled" or "not veiled" LCD-3?  I bought a second hand pair that were received back in December.  How can I tell?

BTW - I completely understand the PowerPoint mode

but I find
myself in Excel
mode more often

lol

1. Unclear vocals (in comparison to LCD2r2 or even other any other headphone)
  2. Bass sounds like too much room gain or speakers shoved against the wall
  3. Muddy slow bass - un-veiled bass sounds nice and punchy

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #255 of 276
So what if you add this marvelously advanced acoustic damping material to an un-veiled pair and bring the treble shelf up a little more?  Might it it give the 009 a run for its money after that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back