KENNERTON VALI - Impressions, Discussion Thread
May 19, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #226 of 271
Hi.
Regarding the clamping problem of the Vali (too much clamping strenght of the Vali or Odin that share the same headband):
Unscrew the screw of the secondary suspension headband (on one side) and slacken the metal arch by twisting it on the outside in this way. Look this photo : here is the picture of a Kennerton Odin, but which is exactly the same headband as the Kennerton Vali, except the color. The arch is metal, not a single piece of plastic; Once the arch of the Vali (or Odin) is relaxed, re-fix the screw of the secondary headband, and the trick is played; You end up with a much more comfortable headphone regarding the strength of clamping. :)

244636DSC9653bbb.jpg
After doing more reading online, I realized that when adjusting the height on the pads you can swivel them also. Having done that I no longer have clamp issues. I will add these sound great, but have a very aggressive kind of sound. Like, everything's hitting you at once.

May 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #228 of 271
Yeah. They're very energetic, with excellent PRaT factor-- very engaging/exciting. But they balance that with a smooth/non-fatiguing top end, making them very listenable. On the dark side yet detailed, punchy, tonally rich and engaging-- love it!
Totally agree with your assessment. Afraid I'm not the most experienced at reviewing headphones, or in trying to describe their strengths and weaknesses. I'm more of an "I know what I like" person.

May 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #229 of 271
Listening to the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack cds with the Vali currently. I have to say, I'm beyond impressed with the way these sound. And unlike some of my other cans, these seem to handle a variety of genres very well. Haven't tried them for gaming yet. Think the thing I'm most impressed with so far is separation of instruments.

May 21, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #230 of 271
Alright, help me understand guys. I got mine out of the box today. Fit is fine, no issues adjusting it. Mids and highs seem okay, but definitely a bit congested in the highs. Unrefined and it really stands out. Bass is okay (but on the weaker end to me) and low end bass is non-existent. It seems okay for classical and some jazz, but utterly fails on songs like Kendrick Lamar's "DNA". I've seen the bass described here as "full" or similar to an HD650. It's neither of those and my HD650's have no such trouble with reaching deep. I imagine this bass reproduction is only impressive to those coming from Grados.

Am I missing something? I feel like I must be plugging them in wrong, my experience is so different from the generally glowing comments here.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #231 of 271
Alright, help me understand guys. I got mine out of the box today. Fit is fine, no issues adjusting it. Mids and highs seem okay, but definitely a bit congested in the highs. Unrefined and it really stands out. Bass is okay (but on the weaker end to me) and low end bass is non-existent. It seems okay for classical and some jazz, but utterly fails on songs like Kendrick Lamar's "DNA". I've seen the bass described here as "full" or similar to an HD650. It's neither of those and my HD650's have no such trouble with reaching deep. I imagine this bass reproduction is only impressive to those coming from Grados.

Am I missing something? I feel like I must be plugging them in wrong, my experience is so different from the generally glowing comments here.

Hi,

The Frequency response (FR) of the Kennerton Vali and a Grado headphone, for example the Grado PS 1000e, are very different, especially for the bass.
The Kennerton Vali has objectively (also) more deep bass than that of the HD-650.

Grado_PS%201000e_Center_-_-_HDM-X_-_90_20-20k_-_spl.png

Sennheiser_HD%20650_Center_-_-_HDM-X_-_90_20-20k_-_spl.png

Kennerton_Vali_Center_-_-_HDM-X_-_90_20-20k_-_spl.png

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #232 of 271
You know what? In A/B'ing them with my 650 you're right; they do have a b it more bass and sub-bass. I think maybe I've gotten too used to my D7000's.

Question: do the upper mids calm down with time?

Take the linked track for instance. The mids in the opening 20 seconds are overbearing to the point of frustration on these KV's. On other headphones (like the 650), the opening will sound pretty chill but on these any of the complimentary instruments are difficult to even hear at all. It's okay if the cans just don't do some songs or genres well if that's the simple answer; just thought I'd ask. The mids and upper mids feel like they're right in my face and everything else is pretty far back, and if the graph you posted is any indication, it seems like it's that area around 800Hz that is 10-15db higher than any of my other cans and the loudest part of these headphones. Makes songs like Coltrane's Stardust () sound great, but that Mirror's Edge track opening almost impossible to enjoy.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #234 of 271
Hi.
Regarding the clamping problem of the Vali (too much clamping strenght of the Vali or Odin that share the same headband):
Unscrew the screw of the secondary suspension headband (on one side) and slacken the metal arch by twisting it on the outside in this way. Look this photo : here is the picture of a Kennerton Odin, but which is exactly the same headband as the Kennerton Vali, except the color. The arch is metal, not a single piece of plastic; Once the arch of the Vali (or Odin) is relaxed, re-fix the screw of the secondary headband, and the trick is played; You end up with a much more comfortable headphone regarding the strength of clamping. :)

244636DSC9653bbb.jpg
After much debate and fear of doing damage to the headband, I did do this. And it went very well. I very carefully stretched it out, and the clamp is manageable for real now. Thanks for the advice. I really love the way the Vali sound. Just unique, but I think I may have finally found a slight comparison. They make me think of my TH-900s, if they were open, had a little less treble, and a little more bass. For what it's worth, the TH-900s were my favorite cans before the Vali's. That has changed.

May 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #235 of 271
Hey guys, my audio is going in and out in my right earphone and sometimes it cuts out completely. I've tried re-seating the plug on that ear with no luck. sometimes tapping the earphone clears it up but seems to be only temporary. No issues from my other headphones. I've tried it on a different device, same problem. I looked at the cable itself and its connectors and it looks perfectly fine.

Any suggestions? Tell me this is a simple matter. I really don't want to have to send these back after 1 week of ownership. :triportsad:

May 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #236 of 271
...and now I only hear sound out of my right ear cup when I press on the outside metal grille. I hear it briefly, then back to no audio. I sent Kennerton an email. If any one knows what might be causing the issue (and know of a fix quicker than sending them in for exchange or repair) please let me know.

pretty disappointed right now.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #237 of 271
Latest Vali Massdrop batch has been sent, mine is on its way.
Can't wait to test them. If they are half as "energetic" as what is described above, it should be fun!

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #238 of 271

Users who are viewing this thread

Back