KENNERTON VALI - Impressions, Discussion Thread
May 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 271

grizzlybeast

My name is grizzlybeast and I'm an audioholic.

KENNERTON - VALI

DRIVER UNIT - 50mm
FREQUENCY RESPONSE - 10-28000Hz 
SENSITIVITY - 100dB
IMPEDANCE - 32 ohms
MAXIMUM INPUT POWER - 500 mW

990.00 USD
http://kennerton.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=86
Kennerton is on the brink of making their Vali available for order. I figured it need its own thread. I have had a chance to listen and I am pretty impressed with a lot of its characteristics. ​

Impressions:
Jimkrell - post #57 
Soundsgoodtome - post #107 
grizzlybeast - post #128 , http://www.head-fi.org/products/kennerton-vali/reviews/16049
SomeGuydude - post #139
JoeDoe - impressions

May 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 271

​

Vali - Tour sign up and rules​

To avoid any theft and these getting into the hands of the careless below are some rules for the tour. The tour can actually start pretty soon here since I already have them. I will give them about a week of listening and then pass them along. 

QUALIFICATIONS
  1. Tour member must have atleast 500 posts
  2. Tour member must have atleast 7 positive seller feedback
  3. There may be some bending ie if 2000 posts but 5 seller feedbacks or something of the likes. 
SIGN  UP
In this thread post the following:
  1. Username
  2. City/State
  3. Link to previous impressions or review
  4. Gear Vali will be used with (not really a must but its cool to know)

TERMS
  1. Each person has a week (7 days from receipt of the headphones) maximum to spend with the headphones. Please plan on shipping/passing the headphones on the 7th day. 
Shipping 
  1. Each tour member is responsible for paying the shipping and insurance costs to the next tour member with registered post requiring signature.
  2. NO Ground shipping - Only air unless the next tour member is close enough for it to take less than 3 days. The list below will have the names and you will ship to next person after you

IMPRESSIONS 
  1. by signing up you are agreeing to post at least some general impressions. Pictures are not a must but they are nice to have!

Signees and order

@Jimkrell 
@Soundsgoodtome 
@miceblue
@raybone0566 
@SomeGuyDude 
@JoeDoe  
@reddog 
@joeq70 

May 11, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 271
A quick first impressions. 

Fast, natural, solid bass. Practically an HD650 on steriods with better bass extension and slam, a wider sound stage, and more dynamics. Not uber detailed and has a slight thickness in the lower mid range that  can easily be eq'd. 

May 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 271
Raybone0566
Metairie, Louisiana
I own and a consistently post on these threads
He-560, hd-650,800, & he-6.
Ttvj's moon 430 loaner program, review posted in thread.
Gear I'll be using
Schiit bimby mb
Audio Gd nfb-1
Eddie current black widow ( possibly)
Possibly a few other goodies if I'm selected.

May 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 271
Raybone0566
Metairie, Louisiana
I own and a consistently post on these threads
He-560, hd-650,800, & he-6.
Ttvj's moon 430 loaner program, review posted in thread.
Gear I'll be using
Schiit bimby mb
Audio Gd nfb-1
Eddie current black widow ( possibly)
Possibly a few other goodies if I'm selected.

You will def be selected.

May 12, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 271
I'm very interested as well................read somewhere it's as good as an HE-6.  This I have to hear................

I'll be running it out of vintage speaker amps as you know - what is the cable on this?  SE 1/4" or balanced XLR? 

May 12, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 271
I'm very interested as well................read somewhere it's as good as an HE-6.  This I have to hear................

I'll be running it out of vintage speaker amps as you know - what is the cable on this?  SE 1/4" or balanced XLR? 

The cable on this is 1/4 inch w audeze connections. It likes high gain on the Cayin IHA6 for better attack but it def is easy to power like the Dharma but even easier. Got really loud from my phone.

May 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 271
Man, I need to up my post count! 
frown.gif

May 14, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #14 of 271
I am approaching being due on a review but I can't help but give my impressions. 

Let me be blunt and quite reckless, disregarding any care of my reputation, or what people may think of these headphones after actually hearing them. THESE WILL BE IN MY STABLE AT SOME POINT AND WILL HAVE A HARD TIME LEAVING. MY END GAME STABLE WILL HAVE THESE AND THE HD800S IN IT. Or the Odins if they are better. 
I don't want to hear the Odin because it is too expensive and if it sounds better than these I am screwed. 

First of all, I thought it had too much lower midrange murkiness but my DAC being so rich in the mids was halfly responsible. It is still a little overdeveloped there but I kinda like it.  Using something clean, kinda sharp, and neutral like the CAYIN I-DAC 6 makes my world lovely with these headphones. These things are very sensitive to system changes, or maybe It's me. I also thought the cable was holding them back but the cable isn't that bad I just prefer mine because it sounds slightly richer in the midrange and bass.

BASS - Taught, controlled, full and with good speed and texture. 
MIDRANGE - a little warmer than most, a lot richer and fuller than the HD800S. Full middle mids but nice and rich balance, full of euphony and tonal roundness. If I can call on my memory of the Paradox Slants I heard at a meet I would but the upper mids less than the Omnis but slightly more than the Slants. Males sound a little rich and females sound full but clear
TREBLE - The texture isn't hard or glaring. Not a really bright headphone or super dark. Def darker than the HD800S
SOUNDSTAGE - Decent and acceptable. Sometimes seems intimate because of the midrange presentation but it is still better than average for sure. 
RESOLUTION - Decent but needs a precise amp to help carve out those little details. I wouldn't recommend a luscious amp with them because they will get thick fast. 
Very Scalable
DEF NOT a super HE6 because it is tuned differently, less bright, more dynamic, fuller midrange, less precise and detailed, similar soundstage, similar speed, less transparent. But it is like a super HD650 because it is faster, deeper in the bass, more engaging, and has a bigger soundstage, yet I can see someone saying the HD650 has a better and more nuetral midrange tonality, or the Vali being more natural. 

Waiting for validation is killing me... I kind of don't really care as much though because I am pretty much sold. If you have a NOS DAC or something already natural sounding then consider your pairing when hearing these together you may find them too much. 

Also some may not be able to get with the fit and weight. 

EDIT: I actually find the treble a little on the dark side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back