JRiver Media Center 19 is better!
Aug 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 178

gurus

1000+ Head-Fier
Just downloaded the latest version of JRiver Media and it definitely sounds better than the previous one.

Gives me some better options of using the ASIO driver for my DAC and of course I think that ASIO is the cat's meow for computer audio. So your experience might vary if you are not using ASIO.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 178
Search the keyword: "Foobar xpack", or visit the modder's site: http://vadimsva.ucoz.org/

Currently I'm using the 1.09 version of xpack, dark UI, perfect player!

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 178
sweet, now i will upgrade it! 

biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 178
I've ditched the ASIO driver I downloaded for my Conductor in favour of JRiver 19's WASAPI output and there are fewer hiccups. Using 18 I was setting it to 24 bit but it kept reverting back to 16 bit of its own accord. This version is much better. Or is it just that WASAPI output is better than ASIO?

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 178
This costs $50?

So... what's wrong with, say, foobar?

Yes, it does cost $50. Nothing at all is wrong with Foobar. I used it for years before I used JRiver.

I would have put in a lot of work and effort to do with Foobar what I do with JRiver, and I'm not sure I could do all of it. JRiver has great support, and JRemote is the greatest iPad/Android remote ever conceived. That added functionality and convenience is worth $50 to me.

It is also a stupendous video player, but I rarely use it for that.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 178
[quote name=

I would have put in a lot of work and effort to do with Foobar what I do with JRiver, and I'm not sure I could do all of it. JRiver has great support, and JRemote is the greatest iPad/Android remote ever conceived. That added functionality and convenience is worth $50 to me.

It is also a stupendous video player, but I rarely use it for that.[/quote]

+1

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 178
Quote:
I've ditched the ASIO driver I downloaded for my Conductor in favour of JRiver 19's WASAPI output and there are fewer hiccups. Using 18 I was setting it to 24 bit but it kept reverting back to 16 bit of its own accord. This version is much better. Or is it just that WASAPI output is better than ASIO?

Not according to JRiver! The sound is the best, as I stated above while using ASIO. If you are having operational problems, talk to your hardware manufacturer,

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 178
Can't notice any difference between the two other than there being fewer problems with WASAPI.
They sound exactly the same to my ears. Having said that, I am fairly new to JRiver so still have quite a lot to learn.

I've an AP2 to test out tonight and I think WASAPI is the preferred output for that particular interface. Just a case of experimenting and asking lots of silly questions on here, I suppose.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 178
Quote:
[quote name=

+1[/quote]

JRemote is not available for Android that I could find.  They still use Gizmo as the Android app.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 178
Quote:
 Not according to JRiver! The sound is the best, as I stated above while using ASIO. If you are having operational problems, talk to your hardware manufacturer,

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

In theory ASIO, KS and WASAPI  event are the same. They are all going to output bit perfect data and bypass the Windows mixer. In reality there could be a difference on specific hardware in the way it reacts to the driver. Kernal Streaming is the most difficult to get right since Windows was never designed for that but in theory if they all work on your computer they should all sound the same. I can hear slight differences between these on my system but it is so slight it might be placebo.

Finally, I was not aware that JRiver folks were claiming any sonic benefit to their version 19 over 18 or 17. There are feature benefits but I would like to see a reference to where they say there are sonic benefits?

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 178
Quote:
[quote name=

+1[/quote]

+2

it completely replaced itunes, windows media player, foobar, and just about any other media player i would have used.

it is an amazing video player, tons of options to choose from, great for movies. the library is much more advanced than anything else i've used, and it well, does just about everything for me. its the ultimate media player for me imo. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 178
For me too. I'm not claiming to be 100% competent with JRiver, but the excellent interface makes a highly complex piece of software as user friendly as is possible. It's as easy to use as iTunes and is more audiophile friendly than Media Monkey. Definitely worth the £31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back