JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #2,731 of 3,122
Unlike another comment and while I believe the QP1r is the DAP of choice under $3k because it competes well with anything in that range and is only $1k, I've always felt it on the warmer side of things with smooth highs. There are subtle variations in FW character. 1.05 is the snappiest on top. ymmv. I believe that the output is also inverted which is not unusual for DAPs, IEMs, or recordings but the effect, when only one is, can be that it sound is a hair thicker or midbass/mid forward and the top end appear a gnat's hair less snappy. These are all quite subtle and in the noise for an overall evaluation of a given device but at this level may be worth noting. For those with 2 pin IEMs, you can try inverting at the earphone to see if anything perceptible happens and if anyone wants to try FW 1.05, PM your email address. History would indicate that most will probably won't notice any of this but I do on some direct dubs of recording I know quite well and other large wav files of commercial recordings that I normally listen to.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,732 of 3,122
I don't want to be blasphemous. Is there a reason why my Sony MDR-1000x via bluetooth sounds better (bigger soundstage, better bass) than my custom Angie driven by Mojo?

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,733 of 3,122
I don't want to be blasphemous. Is there a reason why my Sony MDR-1000x via bluetooth sounds better (bigger soundstage, better bass) than my custom Angie driven by Mojo?

More V shaped with a bigger bass emphasis and less mid focused from the Sony than the Angie? I haven't heard the MDR-1000x but that's what your description sounds like to me, and it would add the flavor to whatever source you use so it's more forgiving of upstream gear I would surmise. If it sounds better to you that's all that matters.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #2,734 of 3,122

That's pretty reasonable, actually.

First, the Sony is a full-size headphone, and Angie is an IEM. We must pay MUCH more for IEMs just to get close to mid-tier cans in performance. This is just a reality of physics. You're paying for the smallness.

Second, Angie is not known for having a HUGE soundstage. It's decent, but it not it's strongest asset. A full-size headphone, even a closed-back, can EASILY outshine even the best IEM in this. For starters, the drivers are farther away from your ears, which immediately gives the Sony an advantage.

Lastly, Angie is a Balanced Armature design. BA bass struggles so hard to compete with a dynamic driver. And a full-size Dynamic Driver Headphone? Forget about it.

Angie never stood a chance. Bluetooth or no.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #2,735 of 3,122
More V shaped with a bigger bass emphasis and less mid focused from the Sony than the Angie? I haven't heard the MDR-1000x but that's what your description sounds like to me, and it would add the flavor to whatever source you use so it's more forgiving of upstream gear I would surmise. If it sounds better to you that's all that matters.
Actually I hate it sounds better than Angie since I paid 3-4 times the price of MDR-1000x, LOL.

Now I'm curious how high-end full-size cans sound...I almost bought Ether C Flow/Ether Flow before Angie.

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #2,736 of 3,122
Actually I hate it sounds better than Angie since I paid 3-4 times the price of MDR-1000x, LOL.

Now I'm curious how high-end full-size cans sound...I almost bought Ether C Flow/Ether Flow before Angie.

Better frequency response for your preferences. :)

Higher end full sized headphones get better resolution and less distortion than cheaper alternatives, but it's almost a waste without having a capable source in these areas as well (I feel the Mojo is fine here). The rest is down to preference.

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,737 of 3,122
That's pretty reasonable, actually.

First, the Sony is a full-size headphone, and Angie is an IEM. We must pay MUCH more for IEMs just to get close to mid-tier cans in performance. This is just a reality of physics. You're paying for the smallness.

Second, Angie is not known for having a HUGE soundstage. It's decent, but it not it's strongest asset. A full-size headphone, even a closed-back, can EASLY outshine even the best IEM in this. For starters, the drivers are farther away from your ears, which immediately gives the Sony an advantage.

Lastly, Angie is a Balanced Armature design. BA bass struggles so hard to compete with a dynamic driver. And a full-size Dynamic Driver Headphone? Forget about it.

Angie never stood a chance. Bluetooth or no.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks!
I was so skeptical about Angie that even wondered if they forgot to put some drivers in there, LOL

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #2,738 of 3,122
Better frequency response for your preferences. :)

Higher end full sized headphones get better resolution and less distortion than cheaper alternatives, but it's almost a waste without having a capable source in these areas as well (I feel the Mojo is fine here). The rest is down to preference.
Once thought Angie would be my End-game...
Now it is just my End-game for IEMs :)

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #2,739 of 3,122
Angie II is only used outside the home for me. I use full size headphones in the home.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,740 of 3,122
Once thought Angie would be my End-game...
Now it is just my End-game for IEMs :)

You should try the Meze 99 Classics. It's about the same price as your Sony, and shoots WAY above its weight.

Also, for a real upgrade to that warm, bassy, lush sound, the AudioQuest NightOwls are to die for.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #2,741 of 3,122

i dont think it sounds even close to angie.

the cups are kinda small and less comfortable than bose.

it sounds like a mediocre colored headphone.

angie is much clearer, accurate, precise with nice textured sub bass. (have you tried changing the bass level of your angie?)

you should go and try any of the closed full size ether, audeze or fostex and then probably you will appreciate your angie more.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #2,742 of 3,122

angie is much clearer, accurate, precise with nice textured sub bass. (have you tried changing the bass level of your angie?)

you should go and try any of the closed full size ether, audeze or fostex and then probably you will appreciate your angie more.
True; I think of my Angies as my little LCD-X when I'm not home. That may be stretching the point a bit, but, they do the job for me.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #2,743 of 3,122
True; I think of my Angies as my little LCD-X when I'm not home. That may be stretching the point a bit, but, they do the job for me.

exactly.

the lcd x is heavier, no active sound canceling, no isolation, not portable and needs a dacamp but there's absolutely no comparison between lcd x and mdr 1000x in purely sound and tonality...

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,744 of 3,122

Most obvious to me is the bigger soundstage of MDR-1000x, resolution wise Angie clearly has the upper hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back