Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 411

LugBug1

Headphoneus Supremus
Following the very successful 50's/60's Jazz thread, I'd love to hear about some quality up-to-date Jazz recommendations. I've been scouring the web looking for clues as to what may float my boat out of recent releases and have found some really nice stuff.. and also some very dull safe stuff.

I like my Jazz to be expressive, raw and hard work! With the occasional ballad...

But thats just my taste. Any recommendations from 2000 onwards would be welcome and hopefully useful for all Jazzters on here.

I'll kick off with this little gem that I found:

Christian Lillingers Grund - First Reason (2009).  Hes a twenty something year old drummer and boy does he drum! This is his first solo release and I've played it to death since I downloaded it. It's got everything I like about jazz; Spontaneity, original ideas, soul, and also important for me is great recorded sound. 65 mins of great modern Jazz.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 411
I just searched through my database of the thousands of albums in my collection for ideas and, as expected, hardly any 21st century jazz recordings.  Suggest you check out William Parker, Joe Giardullo, and projects by World Saxophone Quartet alumni.  Anthony Braxton, Geri Allen and Bill Frisell are still going strong too.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 411

Quote:
I just searched through my database of the thousands of albums in my collection for ideas and, as expected, hardly any 21st century jazz recordings.  Suggest you check out William Parker, Joe Giardullo, and projects by World Saxophone Quartet alumni.  Anthony Braxton, Geri Allen and Bill Frisell are still going strong too.

Thanks for that will do. Contemporary Jazz is similar to contemporary classical, not much money involved and because of this very few newcomers see the light of day.. nevermind a recording studio!

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 411

Who says you can't get any FANTASTIC 21st Century Jazz?
This stuff is ALL smokin!

disclaimer: yes I do dig 20 century jazz
warning: no fusion albums, almost no electric instruments in this list, yes, I'm a traditionalist

Roy Hargrove Big Band:   Emergence       Roy is an amazing trumpet player withan almost breathy tone, very cool modern big band stuff, melodic, some tunes have a nice swing to them, check out "Ms Garvey, Ms Garvey"

Roy Hargrove Quintet:  Earfood                  hard swing bop with an old R&B feel

Roy Hargrove with Strings                       excellent in the tradition of Bird with Strings or Clifford Brown with Strings

Jane Monheit:  Taking a Chance on Love      jazz vocalist who isn't Diana Krall (LOL!), traditionalist, what a sexy voice, maybe her finest album, ohhhhhh baby!

Jane Monheit:  Home                                  more from Jane, very traditional small band stuff, hmmmm, maybe this is her finest album

Sophie Milman: Take Love Easy                another great female jazz singer, very nice smoky voice

Jill Barber: Mischievous Moon                  femala jazz singer with an almost 50's doo-wop feel to it

Christine Jensen Jazz Orchestra               no singing!  just great contemplative jazz from a female soprane sax player, her sister Ingrid joins her on trumpet, who says chicks can't play jazz?

Wynton Marsalis: At The House Of Tribes:      hard swinging jazz date, full of fire and energy

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 411

Quote:

Who says you can't get any FANTASTIC 21st Century Jazz?
This stuff is ALL smokin!

disclaimer: yes I do dig 20 century jazz
warning: no fusion albums, almost no electric instruments in this list, yes, I'm a traditionalist

Roy Hargrove Big Band:   Emergence       Roy is an amazing trumpet player withan almost breathy tone, very cool modern big band stuff, melodic, some tunes have a nice swing to them, check out "Ms Garvey, Ms Garvey"

Roy Hargrove Quintet:  Earfood                  hard swing bop with an old R&B feel

Roy Hargrove with Strings                       excellent in the tradition of Bird with Strings or Clifford Brown with Strings

Jane Monheit:  Taking a Chance on Love      jazz vocalist who isn't Diana Krall (LOL!), traditionalist, what a sexy voice, maybe her finest album, ohhhhhh baby!

Jane Monheit:  Home                                  more from Jane, very traditional small band stuff, hmmmm, maybe this is her finest album

Sophie Milman: Take Love Easy                another great female jazz singer, very nice smoky voice

Jill Barber: Mischievous Moon                  femala jazz singer with an almost 50's doo-wop feel to it

Christine Jensen Jazz Orchestra               no singing!  just great contemplative jazz from a female soprane sax player, her sister Ingrid joins her on trumpet, who says chicks can't play jazz?

Wynton Marsalis: At The House Of Tribes:      hard swinging jazz date, full of fire and energy

Brilliant stuff! I knew It was out there! and yeah I'm not one for electric instruments in jazz either. Jazz loses something when synthetics get involved.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 411
Some of the best of contemp jazz!

Michael Brecker: "Pilgrimage"
Chris Potter: "Gratitude"
Joshua Redman: "Mood Swing"
Brad Mehldau: "Day is Done"
Brian Blade Fellowship: "Perceptual"
Christian Scott: "Rewind That"
David Sanchez: "Cultural Survival"
Kurt Rosenwinkle: "The Enemies of Energy"
Mike Moreno: "Between The Lines"
Yellowjackets: "Timeline"
Pat Metheny Group: "Speaking of Now"
Christian McBride: "Kind of Brown"

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 411
We do not have the same taste in jazz.

Quote:
Some of the best of contemp jazz!

Michael Brecker: "Pilgrimage"
Chris Potter: "Gratitude"
Joshua Redman: "Mood Swing"
Brad Mehldau: "Day is Done"
Brian Blade Fellowship: "Perceptual"
Christian Scott: "Rewind That"
David Sanchez: "Cultural Survival"
Kurt Rosenwinkle: "The Enemies of Energy"
Mike Moreno: "Between The Lines"
Yellowjackets: "Timeline"
Pat Metheny Group: "Speaking of Now"
Christian McBride: "Kind of Brown"

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 411
esperanza spalding

joshua redman gets a +1

bireli lagrene

richard bona

Dave holland quintet

anything with terri lyne carrington (drummer) if she's still makin music

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 411
I'd have to disagree that there are very few newcomers who see the light of day when it comes to contemporary jazz! I actually believe that jazz has a large number of modern artists who are carrying jazz into an exciting new era. I recently started up a website that's focusing on reviews of contemporary jazz albums - the site is less than a week old, but I'm hoping to do 2-3 reviews a week. I'm no technical expert on jazz - just a fan trying to express what I enjoy or dislike about different recordings and hopefully make the reviews more useful to those of us who want good music and not a short, technical explanation that really doesn't answer the question "will I like it?" I'm not sure I accomplished that with my first review, but it's a learning process and they will improve. Here is the link - again, it's a work in progress and something I do in my freetime:

http://www.jazzjunkie.net/

As for jazz recordings from this decade, I'd recommend checking out the following, many of which I'll be doing reviews of in the coming weeks:

Jason Moran - Ten
Brad Mehldau - Anything Goes or any of The Art of the Trio volumes
Eric Reed - The Dancing Monk
Donny McCaslin - Perpetual Motion
Ray Brown, John Clayton, and Christian McBride - Super Bass and Super Bass 2
Bill Charlap Trio - Live at The Village Vanguard
Joe Lovano - Bird Songs
Jeremy Pelt - The Talented Mr. Pelt
Joshua Redman - Mood Swing
+1 for Christian McBride - Kind of Brown
+1 for Roy Hargrove Quintet - Earfood

Happy listening!

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #11 of 411

Quote:
esperanza spalding

joshua redman gets a +1

bireli lagrene

richard bona

Dave holland quintet

anything with terri lyne carrington (drummer) if she's still makin music

Carrington is still making music and finally getting some recognition - she is gracing this months cover of JazzTimes!

Nov 23, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 411

Quote:
Carrington is still making music and finally getting some recognition - she is gracing this months cover of JazzTimes!

i saw her play with herbie hancock at jazzfest in chicago back around 2002.. AMAZING!

Dave Holland Quintet played there too and were equally great.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 411

Quote:
I'd have to disagree that there are very few newcomers who see the light of day when it comes to contemporary jazz! I actually believe that jazz has a large number of modern artists who are carrying jazz into an exciting new era. I recently started up a website that's focusing on reviews of contemporary jazz albums - the site is less than a week old, but I'm hoping to do 2-3 reviews a week. I'm no technical expert on jazz - just a fan trying to express what I enjoy or dislike about different recordings and hopefully make the reviews more useful to those of us who want good music and not a short, technical explanation that really doesn't answer the question "will I like it?" I'm not sure I accomplished that with my first review, but it's a learning process and they will improve. Here is the link - again, it's a work in progress and something I do in my freetime:

http://www.jazzjunkie.net/

As for jazz recordings from this decade, I'd recommend checking out the following, many of which I'll be doing reviews of in the coming weeks:

Jason Moran - Ten
Brad Mehldau - Anything Goes or any of The Art of the Trio volumes
Eric Reed - The Dancing Monk
Donny McCaslin - Perpetual Motion
Ray Brown, John Clayton, and Christian McBride - Super Bass and Super Bass 2
Bill Charlap Trio - Live at The Village Vanguard
Joe Lovano - Bird Songs
Jeremy Pelt - The Talented Mr. Pelt
Joshua Redman - Mood Swing
+1 for Christian McBride - Kind of Brown
+1 for Roy Hargrove Quintet - Earfood

Happy listening!

I've saved your website in my faves, well done that man!

Thanks for all these recommendations guys.

I've also been listening to and thoroughly enjoying these recently:

Keefe Jackson quartet: Seeing you See

Myra Melford Extended Ensemble - Even the Sounds Shine

Koch Schutz Kappeli - Acceleration

(this was recorded 1987 woops!)

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 411
I'm gonna start with one by the iconic drummer we just lost: Paul Motian. His trio with saxist Joe Lovano and guitarist Bill Frisell was nearing its 25th anniversary when this gorgeous disc was recorded in 2005…dreamy and tough simultaneously, always discursive…

Paul Motian - I Have The Room Above Her

Speaking of anniversaries, the pianist Jason Moran (who also did a bit of time with Motian in the last few years) recorded the following trio disc with his regular group Bandwagon in 2010 to commemorate a milestone…the variety of stuff he fits on it is even more amazing 'cause he actually pulls it off…groovy-sounding gospel-blues…Thelonious Monk…a spliced thing with a Jimi Hendrix-inspired feedback loop…Conlon Nancarrow…pieces associated with Billie Holiday and Bert Williams…

Jason Moran - TEN

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 411

Quote:
I'm gonna start with one by the iconic drummer we just lost: Paul Motian. His trio with saxist Joe Lovano and guitarist Bill Frisell was nearing its 25th anniversary when this gorgeous disc was recorded in 2005…dreamy and tough simultaneously, always discursive…

Paul Motian - I Have The Room Above Her

Speaking of anniversaries, the pianist Jason Moran (who also did a bit of time with Motian in the last few years) recorded the following trio disc with his regular group Bandwagon in 2010 to commemorate a milestone…

Jason Moran - TEN

What took you so long! Brilliant stuff

I'm enjoying the ivory tickling of this guy, he seems quite unique in his approach

Paul Bley - Not two Not one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back