Isopropyl Alcohol -- White Discoloration with Plastics?
Oct 17, 2004 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bLue_oNioN

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

Real quick -- I've noticed that whenever I use an isopropyl alcohol solution (about 80%) to wipe plastics, once it dries, it leaves a white film on top of the plastic that cannot be wiped off no matter what. Sometimes, my fingerprint will be left there!

Why does this happen and what solutions to this are there?

Oct 17, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 21
What you seem to be doing is leaching the plasticiser out of the plastic piece and what you see as film are residual solids. I would recommend a less aggressive cleaner.

Ever notice the foggy film you see on the inside of your car windows? That is plasticizer evaporating from the dash and other plastic pieces. When I lived in the desert this was so bad that the dash would harden and ultimately crack. The only way to slow this down was liberal applications of Armoral type products and towels to keep the sun away.

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 21
I would avoid any type alcohol (isopropyl, ethyl, or just scotch, bourbon or wine) or ammonia product for plastics. I don't know if the damage that you describe is permanent, but I suspect it may be. Unfortunately, if you have ever put an alcoholic drink down on some plastic tables, they can leave very permanent stains where the drink (rather than condensation) has hit the surface. Instead, to clean plastic or lucite surfaces, try a cleaner like glass plus (which has neither alcohol nor ammonia, but check it to be sure), or if you really want to be sure, use one of the cleaners sold for plastic eyeglass lenses or computer screens.

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Would switching from isopropyl to ethyl help any?

I really like how the alcohol evaporates, thus taking away the need in most cases for wiping or careful application.

Probably not. Many plastics react poorly to alcohol. I would try a less aggressive cleaner and apply it to a cloth instead of the plastic. That way you are not faced with a lot of excess fluid to remove.

Oct 18, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 21
For clear plastics (would also work for non clear) use Novus polish spray.

Did you try wiping off the "residue" with a lint free cloth?

Also, don't use Ethyl, it's probably be worse than isopropyl. And whatever you do, never never never use acetone / nail polish remover to clean plastics.

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I've noticed that a lot of people don't recommend ethyl over isopropyl -- why?

Get a clear plastic thing you don't particularly care for, like an old CD jewel case, and try rubbing some Ethyl alcohol on it. You'll see why.

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Probably not. Many plastics react poorly to alcohol. I would try a less aggressive cleaner and apply it to a cloth instead of the plastic. That way you are not faced with a lot of excess fluid to remove.

If you are trying to remove really sticky residue from plastic, try Goo Be Gone to clean it off. Then use mild soapy water (soaked in a cloth) to clean the oily residue the Goo Be Gone leaves behind.

Don't confuse Goo Be Gone with Goof Off, though. I've had bad luck with the stuff before.

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

What you seem to be doing is leaching the plasticiser out of the plastic piece and what you see as film are residual solids. I would recommend a less aggressive cleaner.

Ever notice the foggy film you see on the inside of your car windows? That is plasticizer evaporating from the dash and other plastic pieces. When I lived in the desert this was so bad that the dash would harden and ultimately crack. The only way to slow this down was liberal applications of Armoral type products and towels to keep the sun away.

I've seen a yellow/brownish foggy film in cars of heavy smokers. <shudders>

Oh, and that reminds me, don't use superglue on clear plastics, or dark colored ones. It creates a white hazy film on it if you use too much super glue. Just having a leaking bottle of the stuff near plastic leaves that film on it as well.
And using a CA glue accelerant like Zip Kicker only makes it worse.

-Ed

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:31 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

Oh, and that reminds me, don't use superglue on clear plastics, or dark colored ones. It creates a white hazy film on it if you use too much super glue. Just having a leaking bottle of the stuff near plastic leaves that film on it as well.
And using a CA glue accelerant like Zip Kicker only makes it worse.

-Ed

It's also not a good idea to use superglue on toilet seats, sheep, feet, telephones, headphones, pizzas, cups, saucers, kettles, military personnel, general public, doctors, remote controls, lettuce, apples, all fruit, satellite dishes, space shuttles, teacups etc. etc. it should only be used by competent persons who wish to glue their fingers together..... strictly for no other purpose.

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
It's also not a good idea to use superglue on toilet seats, sheep, feet, telephones, headphones, pizzas, cups, saucers, kettles, military personnel, general public, doctors, remote controls, lettuce, apples, all fruit, satellite dishes, space shuttles, teacups etc. etc. it should only be used by competent persons who wish to glue their fingers together..... strictly for no other purpose.

eggosmile.gif
ROTFLMFAO

The worst part is that I read this post in the middle of a horror/thriller
rolleyes.gif

Damn you pinkie - you just ruined my $3.00 rental !!!
mad.gif

LOL
tongue.gif
orphsmile.gif

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
-Ed

My parents were both heavy smokers and you could see that haze on most everything. In what is now called the family room there was a dark brown area on the ceiling above where my mother and father would sit. Maybe they did me a favor as I never could stand the smell and never started the filthy habit.

The white film is a bit different though.

Oct 18, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

My parents were both heavy smokers and you could see that haze on most everything. In what is now called the family room there was a dark brown area on the ceiling above where my mother and father would sit. Maybe they did me a favor as I never could stand the smell and never started the filthy habit.

The white film is a bit different though.

I have that film on the walls, not too bad on the ceiling except for the stairway
confused.gif
I wish I had never started that habit.

As for cars, I always thought the haze on my cars windows was from smoking, until I rode in my dads Jeep one day, and it was worse in his than it was in mine. He don't smoke, never has. Yeah it's the plastics.

I've found that plain old water cleans many things very nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back