ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 18, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #811 of 2,267
They do stack nicely without the rack though. iESL runs cool so there seems to be no problem stacking them.

IMG_2111.jpg

Jun 18, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #812 of 2,267
This is not the right place to be seeking help with this issue. It sounds like a fault. Open a support ticket here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

The folks at iFi are very helpful and will talk you through any diagnostics that may be done. If they cannot get it to work, they will replace it for you. No doubt they will want the faulty one back to see what is occurring (if it is faulty). So far there are next to no issues with these so you have been unlucky.

I have now opened a ticket with description, and brief video to better help the manufacturer resolve this issue.
I do not plan on belaboring the point further. However, I do think it fair to note impressions I've found with a high-end headphone amplifier in an aptly titled 'Impressions & Discussion' thread.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #813 of 2,267
They do stack nicely without the rack though. iESL runs cool so there seems to be no problem stacking them.

Please post how they may function together in tandem, and any potential heating performance over time with a silicone pad over the iESL venting if non-issue..

Does the iESL not function without the iCAN unit attached?

Also, impressions of the iESL balanced XLR for dynamic cans would be nice to hear impression vs the iCAN.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #814 of 2,267
Jun 18, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #815 of 2,267
Please post how they may function together in tandem, and any potential heating performance over time with a silicone pad over the iESL venting if non-issue..

Does the iESL not function without the iCAN unit attached?

Also, impressions of the iESL balanced XLR for dynamic cans would be nice to hear impression vs the iCAN.
They function beautifully as a tandem! The iESL only needs the included short HDMI cable for connection to the iCAN. You don't even need to use the included iPower adapter. Adding the iESL is just like an extension that allows electrostatic headphones to now be used. I do need to run the iCAN at +9 dB to get decent volume out of my Stax L500's. I currently have the iESL impedance control at 64 ohm. The volume gets louder at the 24 ohm impedance setting but I am not sure yet if that is safe for my Stax. With iESL set to the iCAN input powering down the iCAN also powers down the iESL. Basically they function as 1 combined unit.

I have been running the iESL non-stop since receiving it Friday and it remains cool to the touch with iCAN stacked on top. It does have the interior Orange LED illuminated all the time like when the iCAN is set to tube mode. I don't think stacking is going to be an issue at all with the iESL on the bottom. iFi confirmed to me in PM it is not a problem as long as the iCAN is on top. Still would be nice to have the iRack available though for the Pro sized components.

iESL can function without the iCAN. You would have to use the included iPower adapter and connect either an external speaker amp via the speaker inputs or a very high powered HP amp via 4 pin XLR input. I have not tried it connected to anything other than the iCAN yet. Note that the iFi LED lights Green when connected to the iCAN not Orange as indicated in the manual. Maybe the LED is lit in Orange when a non-iFi amp is used?

I did some brief comparisons today with my HE-6's on the iCAN 4 pin XLR out vs iESL 4 pin XLR out. They sounded pretty much the same to me although the iCAN XLR out is a few dB louder. I will wait until it has had the recommended 100 hours burn-in time before drawing a serious conclusion.

So far I am extremely happy with the pair or iFi Pro amp units! They certainly now make the most feature-rich and flexible desktop amp solution available at any price.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #816 of 2,267
They function beautifully as a tandem! The iESL only needs the included short HDMI cable for connection to the iCAN. You don't even need to use the included iPower adapter. Adding the iESL is just like an extension that allows electrostatic headphones to now be used. I do need to run the iCAN at +9 dB to get decent volume out of my Stax L500's. I currently have the iESL impedance control at 64 ohm. The volume gets louder at the 24 ohm impedance setting but I am not sure yet if that is safe for my Stax. With iESL set to the iCAN input powering down the iCAN also powers down the iESL. Basically they function as 1 combined unit.

I had the same question as @erdawe and you answered it perfectly. I had the wrong impression that the iESL was a iCAN Pro + electrostatic capability. On closer look, it doesn't have settings like gain, tube, 3D or Xbass. So clearly design to pair with the iCP.

Jun 19, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #817 of 2,267
How does stacking them working out with regard to ease of inserting and removing headphones? I found that I need to hold on to the iCan to do this, I guess one needs a to apply greater pressure in order to keep the bottom iESL inplace for removing ir inserting the headphones.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #818 of 2,267

I had the same question as @erdawe and you answered it perfectly. I had the wrong impression that the iESL was a iCAN Pro + electrostatic capability. On closer look, it doesn't have settings like gain, tube, 3D or Xbass. So clearly design to pair with the iCP.
Correct - it is designed to work in concert with the Pro iCAN. iESL needs some form of external amp to function either Pro iCAN, an external speaker amp, or an external HP amp that is very powerful with an XLR output (at least 7V output). It works beautifully with the Pro iCAN, as one would expect.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #819 of 2,267
How does stacking them working out with regard to ease of inserting and removing headphones? I found that I need to hold on to the iCan to do this, I guess one needs a to apply greater pressure in order to keep the bottom iESL inplace for removing ir inserting the headphones.
It's not a problem at all. Light pressure on the iCAN keeps everything stable when plugging/unplugging headphones, including Stax. I do think the rack will be better though once available. In the interim stacking the 2 boxes seems to work quite well. The iESL continues to run cool having been on for 72 hours straight and I see no signs of distress. The iCAN continues to operate at its same toasty level on top of the stack.

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #820 of 2,267
I just had to take apart my Pro iCAN + iESL stack to do some rewiring. After over 72 hours of straight operation underneath the iCAN the iESL top cover was completely cool to the touch. No issues stacking these two directly with the iCAN on top. I imagine the iDSD will run hot since it also has tubes. The iRack will likely be essential if one wishes to stack all 3 boxes whenever the iDSD becomes available. For now I can probably live without it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #821 of 2,267
I am considering buying a second iFi iCAN Pro to have more headphones connected to the same kind of device at the same time.
Would it be OK for heat flow to stack two iCAN Pro on top of each other? (I feat not)
If not, what would you recommend ?

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #822 of 2,267
I am considering buying a second iFi iCAN Pro to have more headphones connected to the same kind of device at the same time.
Would it be OK for heat flow to stack two iCAN Pro on top of each other? (I feat not)

I would say no, because the pad will block the air vents. I've measured 110 def F in the hottest areas of iCan. If you can find some spacers to place on the corners, then it should be ok.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #823 of 2,267

No doubt iFi would be happy, but this seems wasteful. And besides, wouldn't you need to unplug and plug something in the chain to use the second amp? Doesn't that defeat the convenience purpose?

My wholesome recommendation is to just deal with plugging in headphones. Sorry if that sounds mean, but it is what I recommend.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #824 of 2,267
No doubt iFi would be happy, but this seems wasteful. And besides, wouldn't you need to unplug and plug something in the chain to use the second amp? Doesn't that defeat the convenience purpose?

My wholesome recommendation is to just deal with plugging in headphones. Sorry if that sounds mean, but it is what I recommend.

Re. a 2nd iCAN
Everyone has different priorities and needs,
I have many headphones, I like to make optimal comparisons by immediately switching driven headphones (so no unplugging / plugging). Besides I don't like the idea of exposing connections to dust.
So I actually already have two chains, the second one with another amp with many connections: Pioneer U-05. I connect to it less demanding hps or those I use less, (even so this is not enough for connecting all my hps)
but this not ideal, I want the hps to be connected to the same kind of amp (and with amping capabilities better than the U-05).
I was thinking of using the iDSP Pro for connecting more hps, but it seems to be endlessly delayed.
So I am seriously considering buying a second iCAN Pro, I will wait and see after the summer if the iDSD isn't still arriving.

Re. the rack :
I had kept old mecano sets from my youth and given them to my children who almost never played with them (they prefer computer gaming...)
I think I could retrieve these sets I use them to build a rack.

Jun 28, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #825 of 2,267
If someone asked about the iFi Pro rack, I believe that we'll see it very soon. iFi crew had it visible on the exhibitions in Warsaw in November 2016 and in Munich as far as I remember. So it probably is just around the corner, that's my guess.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back