iFi Audio Micro iTube2 Buffer
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #106 of 359
I'm curious to know what kind of sound changes I can expect as the tube burns in.

Its sounds pretty good after 10 or so hours of play. I'd say 65% to 70% of my music collection has benefitted greatly from tubes. The remaining percentage seems to react a bit more strangely, its hard to describe. Its as if the tube is causing reverberations within the headphone cup that makes the soundstage seem more vast but it also dulls the sound ever so slightly and makes the presentation a bit congested on some tracks that have a lot going on. Since the bass has a ton of extension, I guess the "bloom" could be bleeding a bit into the midrange. The other issue could be my Schiit Modi Multibit DAC which has been known to be a bit dark (some say veiled as well).

I'm hoping the brightness of classic mode on the iFi also flattens out over time since it sounds the best to my ears. I am using the DT1990 headphone which is known to be on the brighter side. I was hoping that the itube 2 would tame this and it has, just not quite as much as I was hoping. I'm going too be trying my setup with a ZMF Atticus soon. I will report back but so far, I'm liking what I'm hearing, I just need to fully adjust to the new presentation since I've never had a tube amp. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #109 of 359
The original iTube has a nice overall impact but doesn't colour the sound much and I don't recall the sound changing much over time. Don't yet have the iTube2 so can't say if it exactly follows suit but most of iFi's stuff is fairly neutral.

Although tubes add (good) harmonics not every recording may benefit from them. Anything that's overly compressed, boosted, or just poorly recorded (already distorted) might simply be magnified.

I'd say try using it as a preamp for a while with the rest of your collection. That way you can adjust the iTube2's volume along with your amp to see if that works. You can always return to using it as a buffer if preamp mode doesn't help.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #110 of 359
I'm curious to know what kind of sound changes I can expect as the tube burns in.

Its sounds pretty good after 10 or so hours of play. I'd say 65% to 70% of my music collection has benefitted greatly from tubes. The remaining percentage seems to react a bit more strangely, its hard to describe. Its as if the tube is causing reverberations within the headphone cup that makes the soundstage seem more vast but it also dulls the sound ever so slightly and makes the presentation a bit congested on some tracks that have a lot going on. Since the bass has a ton of extension, I guess the "bloom" could be bleeding a bit into the midrange. The other issue could be my Schiit Modi Multibit DAC which has been known to be a bit dark (some say veiled as well).

I'm hoping the brightness of classic mode on the iFi also flattens out over time since it sounds the best to my ears. I am using the DT1990 headphone which is known to be on the brighter side. I was hoping that the itube 2 would tame this and it has, just not quite as much as I was hoping. I'm going too be trying my setup with a ZMF Atticus soon. I will report back but so far, I'm liking what I'm hearing, I just need to fully adjust to the new presentation since I've never had a tube amp. 

Classic mode can indeed sound a bit bright with some headphones; I suspect it's quite neutral, but if your headphones aren't, this may not be a good match.

SET mode can sound congested, although will tame the highs.

Try P-P with those headphones.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #111 of 359
Let me start this interim review by saying that I am rather favourably disposed towards valves as they have been a permanent fixture in my main amplifiers at home since the mid 80’s. My ifi Audio stack which comprises an iUSB power , iDSD and iCAN SE runs in class A of course but it’s not quite the same as the magic glow of vacuum tubes.

So thanks to the understanding folks at ifi Audio they kindly sent me a loan iTube2 to use as a tube buffer for my ifi Rack kit.

It features the GE5670 valve which is new to me as I have been used to EL34s and KT66s but there is an excellent overview of the GE5670 on their site here http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-nos-6922-2/   and also at the beginning of this thread!
There is also an overview of all the other tech hiding inside this slim mid grey box here….. http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-itube2/

That all means I don’t have to pretend to understand it so that I can then explain it to you. Then it leaves me free to concentrate on my favourite bit which is the listening.

As mentioned above I have only used the iTube2 as a buffer and not a pre amp and therefore the volume control is run from my iCAN SE to my headphones which are Sennheiser HD800s.

My main music source for the ifi system is via an Auralic Aries Mini streaming node with which I stream Tidal HiFi as it is so easy and much better sound than via my aged and noisy laptop.

Likewise I have left the XBass and 3D switches at zero on the iTube2 as I had these set for my favoured settings on the iCAN SE. They do have an effect, but I wanted to compare the system with and without the iTube2 and so not add any additional variables.

I did also try the 3 valve settings (details of these in the above link) of SET (Single Ended Triode), Standard and Push Pull. At this time and despite going over and over with the same pieces of music I was unable to pick an outright winner so I am going to take a bit longer (I hope that’s ok with the ifi Audio folks???) and see if time and a bit more music helps me to a decision.

Now one thing that is different is the need to let the iTube2 settle after switch on and that the red power light after a few minutes it changes to yellow and you are good to go. This is not uncommon for valves to let them get up to stable temperature.

Otherwise it is all very straightforward and well documented in the user guide.

So on to the listening stuff……….

This then is an interim report as I haven’t got an answer on the Tube settings. I listened to quite a range of music from

Shelby Lynne “Just a little Lovin’”
Dusty “In Memphis”
Aretha Franklin “I never loved a man” (mono)
Pretenders “The Pretenders”
The Killers “Hot Fuzz”
The Doors “The Doors”
Ramones “Ramones”
The Eagles “Hotel California”
Vanessa Fernandez “When the Levee breaks”

I tried not to have any preconceptions about what the iTube2 would do so I have not read any other reviews on purpose. My comparison is to my ifi Audio set up without the iTube2 and all else is the same.

My overall impressions are a more organic/visceral bass. I don’t feel like there is any bass extension or that it is more syrupy but just more forceful. The mids were more natural especially on voice. I cannot explain how in words but the female voices sounded more realistic. The treble seemed both extended and yet smoother which is bizarre. Again cymbals sounded more metallic but not splashy or spiky. I do like headphones to give me good imaging (hence the HD800s) and there seemed to be no real difference in the stage width of the music or vocalists but there did appear to be more stage depth front to rear and I had not expected this. To the point I was looking round behind me on a couple of tracks as it appeared sounds were coming for well behind me!

In summary the sound was not softer or rolled off and yet smoother, more natural and organic and hit harder dynamically.

These were not the findings I would have expected before I began and I have to say that I am delighted and perplexed in equal measure.

It’s a solid 9 right now and until I can get my head around the valve stage options.

Thanks ifi Audio and it’s another (albeit unexpected) winner. Can I have another week to play????   

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #113 of 359
Hi Everyone!

Interested in getting the opportunity to try out the iTube2? Be sure to check out our most recent event!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/843833/introducing-ifi-audios-community-appreciation-tour

That's nice!

I have been using it for one week only and I have to say that I was not expecting such as big improvements from the previous iTube.
I want to give it more time to burn-in before expressing my opinion in terms of SQ, but there is one very first big difference that can be noticed immediately.
In fact, now it is not necessary anymore to wait for the warming up of the tube before switching on the power amp/monitors. You can switch it on after the amplifier without hearing the loudspeakers ringing like hell.

Of course, also the new features are very welcome and you don't need to have the "golden ears" or a very sophisticated set-up to hear the differences.
The enjoyment starts by using it with a couple of popular near field monitors like mine.
I wonder how it would sound with a good poweramp and a couple of loudspeakers like the KEF L/S50.
Well done iFi, I believe that also this time you hit the target.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #114 of 359
Finally i got the itube2 and instantly loving it deeply! :D and.. i know.. i know.. I need to burn it in, and im doing it but i can't resist to listen while its burning in!

I have a weird combo that i wanted to try this also, so im using it normally with my speakers and amp but as an extra im combining it with SRM-T1 + SR-Sigma and it is really weird. Using the 3D effect the Sigmas sound-stage just got even more massive. Oh boy trying the xbass with sigma (i know its not designed for headphones nor earspekaers), well safely said that sound is coloured :D but it does hit you like Rocky Balbao on steroids!

While listening with sigma the push-pull gives a nice 'reverb' like effect on music and set gives a bit bigger sound-stage while the classic sounds closer in. Hopefully you true blood to the bones audiophiles won't sacrifice me to the gods for messing with sigma's!

I gotta say for 'desktop' speakers (while i have more like bookshelf speakers as desktop speakers) this product is truly amazing. Would love to combo this with good ifi micro dac but ifi products are oddly constructed (exterior), i do not like to keep my amps/dacs sideways it is just weird. Even the itube2 side power-plug is honestly a bit weird and its not something i would like to show for everybody on my desktop! I want to keep cables hidden behind! btw it does run pretty hot but feels safe to touch still so all is good.

Gearlist: (that are in pathway of IFI Micro iTube2)
Mitsubishi M-A01 (PRE-AMP)
Mitsubishi P-M01 (AMP)
Topping D30 (DAC)
Rauna Tyr MK1 (spekaers)
SRM-T1
Stax Sigma Pro/LNS
-aomas (can't add pictures as my account is too newbie)

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #115 of 359
Ok, time for part deux and I have been struggling to find a preference with the iTube 2 valve setting. The differences are there for sure but its a bit like moving around an auditorium and trying different seats to find the best sound at a concert. Right now with Shelby Lynne and "Just a little lovin"I am happiest on the Push Pull setting but previously with the Pretenders I preferred the mid setting.

Well on the plus side you have options and maybe you will have different preferences after all some people don't like valve amps for goodness sake!

Sorry I thought I could find an answer but I still cannot. My previous conclusion still stands that this is another ifi Audio hit and now with free options!!!!   

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #116 of 359
Just got the itube2, feeding off the iDSD Micro BL and into an AV amp driving NHT SuperONE and SW10ii.
Still running it in, but the raw effect (without 3D+ and Xbass+ activated) is palpable and yet, subtle.

Everyone's mileage will of course vary, and that was the premise with which I approached the itube2 purchase. Skeptical that it would do much to improve my already satisfactory BL, I didn't do any AB testing, and just ran music continuously into it for three days. The sound was as good as it ever was, so no biggie.

Only when I got down to removing the iTube2 from the chain did I get blasted by a dose of reality! The music had lost some of the warmth and intimacy I had been enjoying. It's a little difficult to describe, but I would say that the stereo image is brought slightly forward (in my near-field listening configuration) and depth is increased. The result is that every vocal element really begins to take on a three-dimensional form which the BL alone (with its already great resolution but with 3D+ off) couldn't pull off. If you don't normally listen seriously for the effect, this added three-dimensionality lends a subtle richness and midrange-bloom to the music. But when you are settled-in and pay attention, you begin to realise that the effect is not subtle at all -- it just happens to be self effacing because it the effect is so natural as to be taken for granted by our hearing apparatus!

Adding a simple tube (ast) to the bl gives you: blast !!!

PS: The darn blasted thing runs so hot here in the tropics (47 degrees C or 116.6 degrees F) that I consider it a serious issue to address in the next iteration. Not that the Ican Pro doesn't run blazing hot with its larger chassis, but at least the front panel is not searing hot to touch when you need to fiddle with the switches).

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #117 of 359
I gotta reply about the heat, yes it does run pretty hot but it will not burn your fingers if you touch it but i think you could fry some eggs on it :). But i have trust in Ifi that the components inside are meant to take the beating of pure hell temperatures and will last long in normal use. Would i leave this on 24/7, well no in obvious reasons.

Would be happy to know the official response is the heat a concern that we should be worried about?

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #118 of 359
  I gotta reply about the heat, yes it does run pretty hot but it will not burn your fingers if you touch it but i think you could fry some eggs on it :). But i have trust in Ifi that the components inside are meant to take the beating of pure hell temperatures and will last long in normal use. Would i leave this on 24/7, well no in obvious reasons.

Would be happy to know the official response is the heat a concern that we should be worried about?

I would also agree it is hot but not burn your fingers hot and certainly cooler than my integrated valve amp! Perhaps if you can site it with space around and nothing above it then it will have room to "breathe" and prevent the heat from building up?

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #119 of 359

Yup, our iTube2 is meant to be hot during operation. About as hot as you've described. 
ksc75smile.gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back