iFi Audio Micro iTube2 Buffer
Mar 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #76 of 359
  the iTube2 did make a huge difference to my desktop listening with the 3D settings and even the xBass (normally I am not a fan of bass boost).

It would work really well with some headphone systems too, but I have a valve amp already so the iTube2 slotted into my speaker system better, it's well worth a listen, I have never been let down by iFi products either, every one I have tried has been awesome.

I've done the same with my original iTube. Currently use it with desktop speakers but also tried it with a headphone amp until I got a Vali.

Made a big difference in sound quality but iFi designed xbass/3d on the iTubes is for speaker use and 3d didn't sound so great with my headphone amp.

Mar 5, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #77 of 359
I was thinking the same thing. Like a pseudo iCan Pro for half the price.

Hope it would widen the soundstage on the jot. Thats my primarily goal.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #78 of 359
Hope it would widen the soundstage on the jot. Thats my primarily goal.

IMO if the primary goal is a wider soundstage I'd look at the iCAN Pro. I personally find it's 3D implementation head and shoulders above the Micro model implementations, for headphones at least. This is one area that feels significantly better developed on the Pro.

The problem on the Micro series is that the sound tends farther towards a brittle and bright sound, which can be fairly innocuous on some recordings, but very undesirable on most.

HTH

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #79 of 359
IMO if the primary goal is a wider soundstage I'd look at the iCAN Pro. I personally find it's 3D implementation head and shoulders above the Micro model implementations, for headphones at least. This is one area that feels significantly better developed on the Pro.

The problem on the Micro series is that the sound tends farther towards a brittle and bright sound, which can be fairly innocuous on some recordings, but very undesirable on most.

HTH

How does the itube2 work just a a flavor enhancer for a solid state headphone amp? I'm talking just as a buffer with SET, P/P, Classic, no 3D or Xbass.

I like the sound of solid sate but I want to add some tube warmth and treble taming, plus I hear adding a tube to the chain can add some width and depth to the soundstage.  

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #80 of 359

How does the itube2 work just a a flavor enhancer for a solid state headphone amp? I'm talking just as a buffer with SET, P/P, Classic, no 3D or Xbass.

I like the sound of solid sate but I want to add some tube warmth and treble taming, plus I hear adding a tube to the chain can add some width and depth to the soundstage.  

Fantastically, IMO.  I use the iTube2 between my iDSD BL and iCAN SE, and I find it very beneficial from 2 perspectives: 
1. It enhances image solidity and body, increasing realism and helping to suspend disbelief
2. the 3 tube "flavors" on offer are quite different from one another without being hokey; all 3 prove useful for various types of recordings, and enhance enjoyment of listening (for me).

I have been enjoying it so much in my ifi Micro stack than I haven't been bothered to even try it on my speaker-based hifi (in another room) yet. Ha!

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #81 of 359

Fantastically, IMO.  I use the iTube2 between my iDSD BL and iCAN SE, and I find it very beneficial from 2 perspectives: 
1. It enhances image solidity and body, increasing realism and helping to suspend disbelief
2. the 3 tube "flavors" on offer are quite different from one another without being hokey; all 3 prove useful for various types of recordings, and enhance enjoyment of listening (for me).

I have been enjoying it so much in my ifi Micro stack than I haven't been bothered to even try it on my speaker-based hifi (in another room) yet. Ha!

Does the iTube2 add any noise to the SS amp? 

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #82 of 359

Does the iTube2 add any noise to the SS amp? 

I suspect you mean audible noise such as hiss; the tube buffer is of course adding harmonics (see idi's post above) which could be defined by some as noise.  

In any case, with regards to non-musical noise, I cannot hear any added by the iTube2.    

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #83 of 359

I suspect you mean audible noise such as hiss; the tube buffer is of course adding harmonics (see idi's post above) which could be defined by some as noise.  

In any case, with regards to non-musical noise, I cannot hear any added by the iTube2.    

I was referring to hiss. This is good news.

How do you think the SS amp with ITube2 buffer combo compares to a dedicated tube headphone amp?

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #84 of 359

I was referring to hiss. This is good news.

How do you think the SS amp with ITube2 buffer combo compares to a dedicated tube headphone amp?

I'm going to dodge your question, as this is very much in the realm of personal preference, IMO.  A fully tubed desktop headphone amp will come with it's own tradeoffs.

I am willing to say, though, that I think the iTube2/iCAN SE combo is competitive in it's (cumulative) price bracket with other hybrid tube/SS amps.  I think the real features the iTube2 brings to the table are it's tube "flavors" and the XBass/3D if you choose to use it with a speaker-based hifi.

Hope that helps :)

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #86 of 359
No substantive changes, although I haven't spent a lot of time with the iCAN SE alone, so YMMV (I added the iCAN SE at the same time I added the iTube2).

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #88 of 359
Mar 14, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #90 of 359

Users who are viewing this thread

Back