Headroom Standard Headphone Amp Thread
Sep 14, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #16 of 37
So
  Well, the preorder price went from $299 to $399.  And I was under the impression that $399 was going to be the price going forward.  So at this point one could argue to wait for the release and let others review this, then make a choice...

So now i understand why i did start looking for this amp...Because i saw 299!!!But for 399 for pre-order or even worse....500++ for it...No i am not interested in anymore...I am going to pay 195euro for M2U(with shipping) but i am not willing to pay the double double without even a review-check...
I would probably risk it for 299usd(260euro aprox)...If anyone got some knowledge-beliefe how that amp is going to be regarding its performance and might compare it with M2U that would be fine because i still got interest for this amp if i can take it for MAX 300euro shipped in my door.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #17 of 37
Well, the preorder price went from $299 to $399. And I was under the impression that $399 was going to be the price going forward. So at this point one could argue to wait for the release and let others review this, then make a choice...

So
So now i understand why i did start looking for this amp...Because i saw 299!!!But for 399 for pre-order or even worse....500++ for it...No i am not interested in anymore...I am going to pay 195euro for M2U(with shipping) but i am not willing to pay the double double without even a review-check...

I would probably risk it for 299usd(260euro aprox)...If anyone got some knowledge-beliefe how that amp is going to be regarding its performance and might compare it with M2U that would be fine because i still got interest for this amp if i can take it for MAX 300euro shipped in my door.

No, the $299 price was the special offer pre-order, it was for either the first month of preorders or until they sold 100 units. $399 is the permanent price according to everything I've read about it.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 37
No, the $299 price was the special offer pre-order, it was for either the first month of preorders or until they sold 100 units. $399 is the permanent price according to everything I've read about it.

Indeed...i contact them.:D
The main point also is...how better is going to be from a M2U..I am not sure if i need to wait until this amp got some reviews after the selling process.How big-small is going to be the diff between em?what do you think?
The only reason that i didnt bought the M2U is because i saw that sexy amp(i really like their design) so if we can suppose if the extra 100-150euro will be an extra "profit" beyond the design.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 37
  Indeed...i contact them.:D
The main point also is...how better is going to be from a M2U..I am not sure if i need to wait until this amp got some reviews after the selling process.How big-small is going to be the diff between em?what do you think?
The only reason that i didnt bought the M2U is because i saw that sexy amp(i really like their design) so if we can suppose if the extra 100-150euro will be an extra "profit" beyond the design.

Well the Headroom Standard Amp is more powerful.  The one impression I read (not here), and it was a prototype, was a positive one.  And he was using a modded HE-6...

So this amp should handle any headphone you throw at it.  I don't think you say that with any Magni...

But I'm not going to be an early adopter of this one, I'll let the reviews come in.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #20 of 37

Well the Headroom Standard Amp is more powerful.  The one impression I read (not here), and it was a prototype, was a positive one.  And he was using a modded HE-6...

So this amp should handle any headphone you throw at it.  I don't think you say that with any Magni...

But I'm not going to be an early adopter of this one, I'll let the reviews come in.

Thank you for your reply.!!!!

So the only positivie for "sure" is that headroom can provide power to ANY headphone than m2u cant?So i wont see any quality changes if i got  k712,hd 650,hd-700 with magni 2 and headroom.
M2U can provide enough power for those headphones but if i plug headroom will i see something much better?
I am confused.:/

Thank you again all of you for your help guys!

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #21 of 37
An email went out to preorder customers recently:

"We are super-stoked to report we are on schedule for an October shipment, likely middle to later part of the month. 

Thanks to your support, we've managed to improve the cosmetics of the Standard amp panels to make it look just as sweet as it sounds."

I'll definitely be interested to check this thing out.

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 37
If this is actually better than the Headroom Micro Amp + Astrodyne then to me this will be an absolute steal at $400 IMO.
I paid $350 retail for the Micro when it wasn't discontinued and felt it was worth every penny. I loved that thing since day 1 and it's built like a tank.
The Astrodyne PSU was another nice upgrade, but I won't go there. I actually upgraded from the Asgard 1 (which is awful in comparison. Sorry!).

I expect this to be one of the most transparent amps there is, but yet not thin/cold and will work equally well with everything.
Reading reviews for this amp might be funny
regular_smile .gif

I think Headroom must test hundreds of headphones of all types when they build their desktop amps.
I usually don't need to worry about any of this synergy non-sense. I expect the Headroom Standard to be the same way.
It makes total sense to me for Headroom to make an amp that sounds good with everything. Heck, they sell headphones for a living!

If I don't like a headphone on the Micro I just don't like the headphone or the DAC I'm using.

Coolest thing about the Micro is that I can connect dozens of sources up and totally expect them to all sound the same (with some minor improvements).
Kind of neat hearing all the differences. I hope the Standard is just like that
biggrin.gif

Once I get more money together i'm going to buy the Standard. I just don't have much faith that an amp under $500 can beat out the Micro.
No Schiit amp could and the amp that came the closest is the Ifi Ican. I bet the Matrix M-Stage is pretty similar too.

I'd like to do a comparison of the Headroom Standard and Jotunheim with lots of different headphones.
Pretty sure the Jotunheim can't compare, but maybe I'll eat my words and I'll turn into a Schiit Fan-boy.

Schiit seems to not be very good at make an "all-rounder" (maybe some of the latest ones are better in this area).

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #24 of 37
Hi all,

I have a HeadRoom Standard Headphone Amp on the way.  I'll be comparing it to a Schiit Lyr2 driving a pair of Hifiman HE-560's.  Should be an interesting comparison for sure.

-Karl

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 37
  Hi all,

I have a HeadRoom Standard Headphone Amp on the way.  I'll be comparing it to a Schiit Lyr2 driving a pair of Hifiman HE-560's.  Should be an interesting comparison for sure.

-Karl

Looking forward to your impressions when you get the Standard in.
Always wondered what the Lyr2 would be like..some day I hope to try it out.

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #28 of 37
Does it have plenty of power to drive your headphones? Would you say it's good solid state amp, and worth the $399 price tag?

It's plenty loud at 9 o'clock on the potentiometer, so yes. I had no issues with plugging my headphones directly into the MacBook Pro, which worked perfectly fine, and didn't really leave me needing more volume. Since the HeadRoom Standard doesn't appear to colour the tone, it's pretty much the same, but with more headroom.

I didn't pay $399, I got it as part of a bundle with my HD800S. It's a nice little box that increases amplitude without decreasing fidelity. I'm happy to own it.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #29 of 37
Well, I've had this thing for a week now and I'm still content. More than enough juice on tap (I'd never turn the potentiometer to even 12 o'clock). Build quality seems solid. I'd prefer chassis-mounted jacks, switches and so on, but hardly anyone does that anymore and for $400 this is absolutely fine. Operation of the volume control  is smooth and crackle free. I'm a picky person when it comes to... everything really, and I still feel I can recommend this. It sounds great with both my HD800S and Z7.

Incidentally, I'm hoping to move to the UK in a month or so, and I've found (and bought) a suitable power adapter here in preparation:

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/161/16vac-power-adapter-for-the-element/

I mention that because 16VAC 1000mA adapters are a bit tricky to locate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back