Headroom Standard Headphone Amp Thread
Jul 13, 2016 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

draytonklammer

Headphoneus Supremus
Decided to start a thread. Looks like the amplifier legends have announced pre-ordering for their new headphone amplifier.

The Headroom Standard Headphone Amplifier
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

The HeadRoom Standard headphone amp feature set includes dual 1/4" stereo headphone jacks with a 2 position gain stage. Input connection is via rear panel stereo RCA inputs and the RCA outputs are controlled from a front panel switch. The RCA pre-outputs are a true 'active' design and will not function when the unit is off. The large front panel volume knob is an extra quiet, smooth operation rotary construction with infinite level adjustment. A very tough extruded black aluminum casing ensures the Standard internals stay free of any induced extraneous noise and safe from travel bumps. The HeadRoom Standard Amp employs a clean 16VAC external transformer for the power supply which is internally converted to +/- DC power using new super high-quality regulators and then neatly smoothed out with lots of capacitance.

In essence, we purposefully kept the HeadRoom Standard Amp bells and whistles to a minimum. Our overriding design goal was simply to cut right to the chase and make a straight-forward analog headphone amp that could beautifully drive the best dynamic, planar magnetic or in-ear headphones available in the audiophile industry. We also wanted to create a new amp unit that could unquestionably stand alongside - if not even exceed - the sound quality performance of any other similarly priced headphone amp on the planet, including our own highly lauded HeadRoom designs of the past 20 years. After many long months spent in the audio lab and more than a few sleepless nights, we really think our lofty goals have finally been achieved.

I have had the chance to test a few of the different prototypes they have gone through directly against the Oppo HA-1, HDVA 600/HDVD 800, Moon Neo 430HAD and a few different Schiit/Fiio devices (Valhalla 2, Vali, E10K, etc.)

I would say for the pre-order price of $300.00 it is a great performer. Looks-wise some will call it ugly, or cheap looking, but it honestly didn't feel that way. Besides, aren't we here for sound quality over looks?

Performance against something like a 430HA(D) is to be expected. To sum it up, it sounds thin in comparison.
Against the HDVA 600/HDVD 800 I really couldn't tell a difference outside of some differences in features. The sounds was fairly similar.
Performance with the Fiios And Schiit devices I tried matched up well and I can see it being desirable at the pre-order price, or lower.

Anyhow, should be exciting to see if this ends up making ground. For the pre-order price I can see it breaking ground, but for the full price of $400.00 I might find myself looking for more features or a Schiit stack.

Hoping to either see it remain stable at $300.00 or drop to $200-$250 for the features and performance offered. I tried to give more feedback during the prototype phases and I will be passing this up to wait for a higher end model potentially.

Jul 14, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 37
Looks nice. Wonder if they will be doing a portable version?

Specs:

1. Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz, +/-1.0db;  10Hz-200kHz, -3dB
  2. Output Power (32 ohms): 1.0W RMS per channel
  3. THD: Less than 0.004%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, high gain mode 
  4. SNR: More than 104db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS, low-gain mode
  5. Crosstalk: Less than -72dB, 20Hz-20KHz
  6. Output Impedance: Less than 2 Ohms
  7. Gain: High = 6, Low = 1.5 
  8. Topology: Mixed integrated/discrete design: JFET front-end op amp with bipolar output stage
  9. Size: 4" W  x  5" L  x 1.25” H
  10. Weight: 1.8 lbs Total, Amplifier .8 lbs, Power Supply 1.0 lbs

Product Page: https://www.headphone.com/products/headroom-standard-headphone-amp
Announcement/Blurb: https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/a-new-standard-from-headroom

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 37
  Looks nice. Wonder if they will be doing a portable version?

Specs:

Product Page: https://www.headphone.com/products/headroom-standard-headphone-amp
Announcement/Blurb: https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/a-new-standard-from-headroom

They do have plans for other product releases.  From their blog:

"Each Standard unit is exclusively built by hand right here in Montana and assembled by highly skilled tech artisans who have been with the HeadRoom company for 10 years or more, so you know you’ll be getting a superb high-quality product built with extreme care and painstaking attention to detail by people who really love what they do. And you’ll also be supporting our presently ongoing company efforts (still a secret!) to build other new products in 2016 and 2017, many of which are already underway germinating and undergoing early testing in our HeadRoom Audio labs."

But they don't say what they are working on...

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 37
Jul 21, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 37
Aug 25, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 37
Bumpity...anyone heard anything more on this amp?

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 37
Production is going well they're on schedule it sounds like.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 37
Good to know.  Interested on how this would fair against a Magni 2U, may have to pick one up and find out...

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 37
Just noticed this amp today at the Headroom website. Looks very interesting. I see myself most likely buying one. This hobby is very addicting.
biggrin.gif

Understatement, sir
rolleyes.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 37
  Good to know.  Interested on how this would fair against a Magni 2U, may have to pick one up and find out...

Anyone got news for this amp???because i am also reeeeally curious...

I am planning to buy the MU2 next week so i would love to hear some impressions...Magni 2U is "the" amp for its budget (175+20shipping EURO)..So if i find it somehow for 100++ than magni2U and its better i would prefer to go for it...(being honest?)i really like the design!

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 37
Anyone got news for this amp???because i am also reeeeally curious...

I am planning to buy the MU2 next week so i would love to hear some impressions...Magni 2U is "the" amp for its budget (175+20shipping EURO)..So if i find it somehow for 100++ than magni2U and its better i would prefer to go for it...(being honest?)i really like the design!

Not out till sometime in october.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 37
Not out till sometime in october.

According the "paper facts?"What do you think?Is it going to be better?
Also there is pre order price on 399USD...So lets say its a "bargain" for this amp because propably its gonna cost 500-800?
So if we suppose that its price going to be 600usd...Is it possible for MU2 with 200usd to win the Headroom amp for 600?

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 37
Well, the preorder price went from $299 to $399.  And I was under the impression that $399 was going to be the price going forward.  So at this point one could argue to wait for the release and let others review this, then make a choice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back