Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
May 26, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #8,881 of 9,899
No taboo for me, i like the SR-009 out of the BHSE a a lot better with my Avalon AD2055, didn't want to use a digital equalizer. I do a band-pass filter at 3.2khz -1.5dB with Q=2.2, a low-pass filter at 50hz +2.5 dB, a high-pass filter at 7.2khz -1dB. I use some shuguang natural sound 6ca7-t. They are not to bass heavy, so the settings depends on the tubes you are using. Was not easy to find a good analog equalizer these days, happy i could buy one of the last Avalon AD2055 (black edition). The Avalon is a class a equalizer with a tad warm touch but without loosing details/resolution, makes the SR-009 a bit less dry and more musical. You can buy them (relatively) cheap second hand, a lot of the studios are switching to digital gear. I learned a lot about instrument and voices and their frequency specturm turning these old fashion knobs, a great educational tool vs a touch screen or a mouse :).

avalon-ad2055-lights.jpg

Interesting. I can imagine filtering / EQ in the analogue (final) domain will be best as long as the EQ box is well made, which this unit does seem to be. Do you connect your DAC XLR out to the BHSE XLR in? Only reservation I would say is it is 4 band, so some control but not maybe as flexible as 8 band or more. But then less components in the box. I spent ages tuning my DAC with NOS tubed and different caps to fine tune the sound signature. Tube rolling can do that to an extent, but the character and timbre changes as well, so a different route. Cap changing in the line stage in my DAC was a big change. I used Duelund caps and can see why Lampizator rate them and others, fabulous caps.

May 26, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #8,882 of 9,899
Hi astrostar59, i use the xlr out from the yggdrasil to the Avalon and then via xlr to the BHSE. This kind of equalizer are sometimes called a "master equalizer", the studios use them mostly for the final touch of the recording when all channels/tracks are together, for me the perfect tool to shape the sound of the headphone. The other route is to try different tubes but the prices for nos el34 tubes are ecxessive today, i should buy them 10-20 years ago. I was looking for some years for a diy equalizer and some interessting discrete designs exist. At the end the Avalon was not much (if even) more expensive then a good diy one (and the Avalon has a good design and good parts in it). As you know you can burn a lot of money buying some great caps/parts, blackgate are now priced as gold so i like to use some nichicon or mundorf caps today. My next diy project is the Pass Sony v-fet amp, should be a great amp for power hungry headphones, i have all the parts together and only waiting for the right mood to beginn with the build :).

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #8,883 of 9,899
let's start the (very unfair) battle :wink:

but when on the Go, the KingSound M03 battery operated energizer wins...

BHSE-KS03 1.JPG

KS03-SR009 1.JPG

May 26, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #8,884 of 9,899
Brave, exposing the delicate and high-precision 009 to the physical rigors of portable use.

I still use un-amped Apple EarPods for work and portable use, lol. Makes my home setups even more of a pleasure. Mostly I just need something to cut the sound of chewing, smacking, slurping, crunching, candy un-wrappering from people eating at their desks in the office ALL DAY (disgusting, people - just disgusting).

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #8,886 of 9,899
let's start the (very unfair) battle :wink:

but when on the Go, the KingSound M03 battery operated energizer wins...

Wow. What do you carry the 009s about in?

May 27, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #8,887 of 9,899
The battle was done today. With a premium source: a NAGRA HD DAC :wink:

Of course the BHSE won, much more details and transparency, BUT.... the M-03 is really much better sounding than expected, with deep & strong bass (It played with authority the intro of Mahler Symphony N°3) !

It is a surprising little amp, worth to carry with a SR009/007 for a (rainy) week-end for example.

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

May 27, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #8,888 of 9,899
These are some really expensive DACs the HD DAC from Nagra is just oozing quality.
I can also see a total dac.

Iam looking to replace my Luxman DA-06 with a new DAC, thinking of Holo Spring as Headamp demo the BHSE with it.

What else is recommended?

May 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #8,892 of 9,899
Have any more of you tried the Groove Tubes? I know they're most likely crap but would prefer to hear you wasted your hard earned money than I :money_mouth:

May 27, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #8,894 of 9,899
Well, I appreciate you taking one for the team.

May 31, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #8,895 of 9,899
Hi,

Yesterday I turned the BHSE on, but it didn't work. The PSU blue light is on, just as well as the left blue light of the device. After two minutes, the right blue light of the amp also turns on, but the red lights that can be seen from above remain off. Both the PSU and the amp won't heat, even though the four valves are lit. Do you have any idea of what may be causing this?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back