HDCD list
Apr 6, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #62 of 595
I won't argue the theory of it, or which of the new formats is better. But between redbook and this, the simple fact is that my ears told me there was more information there. I've always been able to trust my ears and I don't see why they'd be fooling me now. The format wars can play themselves out, I'll just sit back and enjoy the tunes in redbook and HDCD format for now.

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #66 of 595
Reference Recordings have already been cited, but this is a special mention. XLO Reference Recordings' "Test & Burn-In CD" has been very useful to me for set-up, testing, some demagnitizing, and burning-in new hardware. It is recorded in HDCD for a higher level of fidelity from those CD players that can use it.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #67 of 595
Old Pa - That is definitely worth its own mention. It hadn't occured to me that there'd be non-musical HDCDs.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #68 of 595
A few HDCD's in my collection that haven't been mentioned:

Joni Mitchell-Hits (rock)

Jerry Garcia Band - Don't Let Go (rock)

Mickey Hart - Mystery Box (world)

Apr 18, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #69 of 595
Regarding HDCDs from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong, make sure you are getting a legitimate disc. Counterfeit CDs are everywhere in those areas, and HDCD are one of the new buzz words that get printed on the packaging of these pirated discs.

You need to know which artists are on which label in that part of the world, and whether that label supports, or had a history of supporting, HDCD. For example, this CD, is remastered in HDCD by HK Warner. HK Warner has a history of supporting HDCD.

Yes, it's very complicated.

Apr 18, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #70 of 595
Quote:

Regarding HDCDs from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong, make sure you are getting a legitimate disc.

Are there any reliable ways you can tell a real one from a counterfeit, or is it strictly a case of buyer beware? (Or on the flip side, are there any albums/labels/etc. that are typically counterfeit?)

Apr 18, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #71 of 595
The counterfeit CD I encountered in China/HK are nothing to sneeze at in terms of packaging and looks. However, look closer and you will see everything is pirated....the label, technical terms like HDCD or DSD, etc.... And if you are aware, you start moticing fake website url's that are invented.

Yes, so it's down to how much you know.

There's a saying that goes...."You know you have made it big when your CD/movie has been pirated." As far as I know, amongst the "majors" in HK, only Universal and Warner regularly support HDCD. HK Sony occasionally does it as well. Due to piracy, I am wary anything purchased from China. Which is sad.

Apr 21, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #74 of 595
Here's a list of the HDCD titles I've stumbled across since I got my NAD. Most are not marked HDCD. And note that some are reissues of older titles.

Arias: Eugenia Zukerman, Flute, Plays Favorite Opera Arias.
Delos DE 3209*

Bach: Art of the Fugue. Emerson String Quartet. DG B0000908-02*

Bach: Suites for Solo Cello. Janos Starker. RCA/BMG 09026-61436-2*

Bizet: Carmen Suites 1 & 2, L'Arlesienne Suites 1 & 2. L. Bernstein.
Sony SMK 63081*

Elgar: Enigma Variations. Pomp & Circumstance Marches 1-5. Cockaign
Overture. Seraphim CDE 7243 5 69022 2 0*

Haydn. String Quartets. (Boxed Set, 22 disks) Aeolian String Quartet.
London 455 261-2 LC2*

Ravel: String Quartet. Sonata for Violin & Cello. Borromeo Quartet.
Image Recordings. Marked HDCD. IRC9901

Sacred Treasures: Choral Masterworks from Russia. Hearts of Space 11109-02
(Note that others in this series are not HDCD)*

Vivaldi: L'Estro Armonico. Neville Marriner. London 443 476-2*

BW

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #75 of 595
Wow, thanks for the new entries -- the classical section's not looking so small anymore.

I made a very happy discovery today -- Patty Griffin's new album (Impossible Dream) is an unmarked HDCD. It's a great album, too -- I've been waiting a long time to hear Top of the World on one of her albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back