HD600: My custom bass extension curves.
May 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #107 of 123
Hey guys, haven't been back here for some time, and it looks like the forum software has changed and all the attachments got trashed?? I tried re-upping them to the 1st post, but there seems to be no way to actually have them show up on it, or inline them like before - anyone know how that works now?

Instead I've linked them from my server, see the 1st post for the links.

May 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #108 of 123
I see you edited the first post a few minutes ago with this message:

I still don't see the impulse .wav file download at the end of post - I just see four .gif images.
*UPDATE Okay, I refreshed the page and they are indeed there now! Thanks!

Cool, yeah the software seems pretty bugged. Let me know what you think.

May 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #110 of 123
It sounds great to me! Thank you very much sir! :)

You're welcome.

I'm just mixing a track that has a really low bassdrum. I always use Curve 4, and just tried turning it off - it lost all its (correct) impact. Guess it works :).

May 20, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #112 of 123
Hey guys, haven't been back here for some time, and it looks like the forum software has changed and all the attachments got trashed?? I tried re-upping them to the 1st post, but there seems to be no way to actually have them show up on it, or inline them like before - anyone know how that works now?

Instead I've linked them from my server, see the 1st post for the links.
Great, thanks for making them available again!

May 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #113 of 123
I have a lot of trouble finding a good convolver for the Mac so the impulse response files are not very useful to me unfortunately... I do have GlissEQ and saw that the first post originally contained preset files for GlissEQ, but they also seem to have disappeared, is it possible to upload them again?

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #114 of 123
I love it, let me know how it works for you.

Funny, I did this just earlier today (before coming across your post) based on the harmon target response curve and the inner fidelity measurements - my ears like, and they don't pick up any distortion at moderate volumes.

hdlowend.jpeg
ps, if you want some treble smoothing (timbre correction above 4Khz) - I've got some settings for anyone interested - tuned for hours using a frequency selectable sine sweeper - but I have to believe that I'm just super sensitive to certain frequencies (or that they resonate in my canals oddly) because my adjustments don't track with any graphs. It's not the cans, I have similar adjustments around similar frequencies on some of my other cans - which leads me to believe it's my ears.

But if anyone wants to plug my settings in - you'll need something that can handle very sharp q values at 12db/oct.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #115 of 123
Hi _gl, thanks for sharing you EQ with us, a little bass is exactly what HD600 needs to be perfect cans!:)

I have one question, I've added your Curve4 to my APO EQ, it's loading fine, but it's very silent now. The volume has dropped a lot. When I turn it to max, it's easily listenable. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Note - I have my HD600 connected to FiioE10 DAC/Amp to my PC. Maybe I need a better amp to power these babies. What do you think?

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #116 of 123
Hi _gl, thanks for sharing you EQ with us, a little bass is exactly what HD600 needs to be perfect cans!:)

I have one question, I've added your Curve4 to my APO EQ, it's loading fine, but it's very silent now. The volume has dropped a lot. When I turn it to max, it's easily listenable. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Note - I have my HD600 connected to FiioE10 DAC/Amp to my PC. Maybe I need a better amp to power these babies. What do you think?

Hey markob,

ok so the reason for the volume drop is that there is such a large bass boost. Without the drop, it can cause loud audio to overload (distort), especially when there's bass going on, because the overall level of the track goes up in the bass.. So the volume drop tries to guard against that.

The only way around this is to use an audio limiter, to keep the levels in check when they go over. If your player has one, that works, but it's not very 'audiophile' as you can hear it.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #117 of 123
So messing with the bass doesn’t create harmonic distortions? I’ve always been told that eq’ing headphones is a no-no. Although, I haven’t found any headphones that I believe do everything 100% (outside of the MrSpeakers Ether Flow C’s). Thoughts?

- EDIT: Curve Impulse Responses for convolvers now available (eg. Foobar2000 with Impulse Response Convolver plugin) - see below.

I got new HD600s a few days ago. I want them for mixing, so I ran my reference track on them (]The Cure - Open, from the Wish album) - it's super dense but also has rich low bass guitar.

I was struck how the lowest bass notes on that track roll off - not a disaster for listening, but not good for mixing. All the HD600 measurement curves show bass rolloff.

The pro-audio Sonarworks plugin (for VST/RTAS/AAX formats, 21 day trial available) has HD600 correction, and sure enough it corrects for some of the bass rolloff - but it also sounds weird to me elsewhere (at least on my setup & cans) so I started on my own curves, using Voxeng's GlissEQ plugin (free trial available). I found I can recover very low bass without bloating or faking - now my cans sound amazing, more enjoyable + closer to my studio monitors with sub, and much better for mixing (for me).

This is what Sonarworks does at the low end (in Mixed filter mode) - blue is the raw cans (note the bass rolloff), green curve is the correction:

My curves are mainly bass extensions, approximating that correction as a starting point (and then going lower). The thinking is that middle and treble are likely to vary more between cans, and anyway many pros consider the HD600 'reference' as they are. I did add a tiny treble slope to reveal a bit more detail, the Senn house-sound is a touch too laid-back to me (at least on my setup) - if you don't want that just zero the gain of the 10.1k node.

Download the curves in GlissEQ preset format (the plugin can also export to CSV text format for porting to other EQs):

NEW (May 18, 2016): v0.9b Impulse Response for Convolvers (eg. Foobar2k's Impulse Response Convolver plugin):

New:
- every sample rate
- 64bit versions for extra quality (if your convolver supports them)
- phase issues corrected, can now be faded out to reduce their intensity (eg. Foobar Convolver 'Mix Adjust').

64-bit float (refers to the audio format, not the OS):
r-i-l.net/_files/HD600/float64.zip

32-bit float
r-i-l.net/_files/HD600/float32.zip

Foobar2k instructions:

The files can live anywhere - just install the Convolver plugin the usual foobar way, add it in Preferences->DSP Manager, and then 'Configure selected' and load the desired curve impulse:

New: Can now reduce the correction strengfth with Mix Adjust.

The plugin is slow to update, any changes seem to take a few seconds to kick in (audio usually glitches when it does).

Note: my impulses cause a deliberate 4dB drop in output volume, to avoid clipping/audio limiting on bass-heavy tracks. But with 'Auto level adjust' ticked this is cancelled out and you may hear strong limiting when it overloads on loud bass peaks. Untick it to avoid that.

If you still get occasional clipping/limiting, reduce Level Adjust a little.

Curve 1: bass recovery approximated from the Sonarworks HD600 graph (Mixed filter mode) and my ears:

Curve 2: based on 1 but extended deeper.

Curve 3: recovers even more low bass, sounds very balanced to me.

Curve 4: (my favourite) as 3, but lowest node is 0.1dB hotter - great for listening, presence & kick (maybe too much for mixing?)

Note that the amount of bass probably partly depends on what's driving your cans. I use an EMU 1616m audio interface breakout box which is a little underpowered, so perhaps a little bass-shy. You may need to tweak the bass node gains a little to suit your source.

I love it, let me know how it works for you.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #118 of 123
So messing with the bass doesn’t create harmonic distortions? I’ve always been told that eq’ing headphones is a no-no. Although, I haven’t found any headphones that I believe do everything 100% (outside of the MrSpeakers Ether Flow C’s). Thoughts?

I'm not aware of harmonic distortion from EQ'ing (but I might just not know about it). What I am aware of is phase distortion from minimum-phase EQs, which are used in my correction impulses (this is the same as analogue EQs however, but neither is 'lossless' as such), or pre-ringing artifacts from linear-phase EQs.

But it's in the sound right. To me, and I'm fairly audiophile critical, the EQ correction sounds better than without. It's basically like using an analogue EQ before the cans, which is mostly harmless right?

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #119 of 123
I have a lot of trouble finding a good convolver for the Mac so the impulse response files are not very useful to me unfortunately... I do have GlissEQ and saw that the first post originally contained preset files for GlissEQ, but they also seem to have disappeared, is it possible to upload them again?

Hey @balph, sorry your message fell through the cracks somehow. In case it's still useful, I've added the GlissEQ presets to the 1st post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back