Got the Blues?
Apr 16, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #438 of 1,690
I'm sure this has been posted a million times already on this thread, but I just started really listening to blues, and this album was recommended to me, and I now want to do the same for anyone new to blues, as I think this album is a great way to get into blues. 

The album is "From The Craddle" by Eric Clapton, and is his first real all-blues album. I highly recommend you start out with something like this, as it is well recorded, electric, and is very bluesy, but at the same time very catchy, and there is a good amount of variety in the songs of the album.

(Would post an album cover, but I do not have permission to do so yet)

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #440 of 1,690

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #441 of 1,690
  I'm sure this has been posted a million times already on this thread, but I just started really listening to blues, and this album was recommended to me, and I now want to do the same for anyone new to blues, as I think this album is a great way to get into blues. 

The album is "From The Craddle" by Eric Clapton, and is his first real all-blues album. I highly recommend you start out with something like this, as it is well recorded, electric, and is very bluesy, but at the same time very catchy, and there is a good amount of variety in the songs of the album.

(Would post an album cover, but I do not have permission to do so yet)

Interesting.It never occurred to me that folks would need to be "eased" into the blues. Having grown up listening to classic rock and metal,blues influences were/are everywhere,so I just always liked it.

Jazz and classical...now these are two I def need some help with,but thats a different thread.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #442 of 1,690
Interesting.It never occurred to me that folks would need to be "eased" into the blues. Having grown up listening to classic rock and metal,blues influences were/are everywhere,so I just always liked it.

Jazz and classical...now these are two I def need some help with,but thats a different thread.

Well you see, I always liked Robert Johnson's music, but the quality of the recordings is quite poor, and I personally didn't really know any electric or "modern" blues, and so naturally I went on reddit, and this was the first suggestion I got, and I loved it from the first song. I feel like it helped me get into blues as a whole, but especially the newer stuff, because I could never really excuse the poor recordings of the past, and I didn't feel like I could enjoy them fully.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #443 of 1,690

Well you see, I always liked Robert Johnson's music, but the quality of the recordings is quite poor, and I personally didn't really know any electric or "modern" blues, and so naturally I went on reddit, and this was the first suggestion I got, and I loved it from the first song. I feel like it helped me get into blues as a whole, but especially the newer stuff, because I could never really excuse the poor recordings of the past, and I didn't feel like I could enjoy them fully.

One of the artists that attracted me to the Blues initially was Stevie Ray Vaughn. Ya gotta check him out :)

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #445 of 1,690
Cool, thanks, I definitely will
smily_headphones1.gif

modern blues that has good production that is easy to get into...bands like ZZ Top,George Thorogood,Snowy White(ex-Pink Floyd,Thin Lizzy),SRV,Jimi Hendrix,even old Led Zeppelin is mainly blues and/or blues influenced.

If you want straight up blues w/o crap recording,a lot of Buddy Guy's stuff is well produced....a lot of others as well,but its a good place to start.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #446 of 1,690

One of the artists that attracted me to the Blues initially was Stevie Ray Vaughn. Ya gotta check him out :)

+1.....his stuff is epic!

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #447 of 1,690
as for the modern blues/classic rock connection, i don't think you can get much better than the allman brother band , just my $.02

i think of them as a blues band that also plays rock and jazz, sometimes all at the same time

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #448 of 1,690
  as for the modern blues/classic rock connection, i don't think you can get much better than the allman brother band , just my $.02

i think of them as a blues band that also plays rock and jazz, sometimes all at the same time

Yup,them too! Blues is everywhere in rock music,which to the untrained ear can be shocking.

Played some Motorhead for my son,who is 13 and learning the guitar,and he was like "wait...thats the blues"!

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #449 of 1,690

Yup,them too! Blues is everywhere in rock music,which to the untrained ear can be shocking.

Played some Motorhead for my son,who is 13 and learning the guitar,and he was like "wait...thats the blues"!

"The Blues Had A Baby And They Called It Rock And Roll" - Muddy Waters

Good article on "How did Blues Influence Rock and Roll?"
https://blogs.longwood.edu/reganwardensky/2012/12/03/how-did-blues-influence-rock-and-roll/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back