Focal Utopia vs. HIFIMAN HE1000
Mar 31, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #61 of 146
To me the Utopia are more genre specific due to closer Soundstage, midrange detail & depth focus, and lack of bass oommph.

The ZMF Eikon and HEKV2 can scare you when sub-bass comes unexpectedly,
While same track the Utopia is more like the HD800 where you can hear the details without fully experiencing it.

So if you want to enjoy vividness,
the Utopia shines...

And if you want to immerse yourself into musicality,
then HEKV2 shines...

And if you want something in between in a closed can,
then ZMF Eikon shines..

I don't know what genres you listen to. But  after roughly six hours of intense  listening comparisons under much better conditions than in Singapore here in KL today  with classical music hi res masterfiles I tend to agree with you regarding the first two. I have no idea how the ZMF Eikon sounds but I strongly prefer open back headphone for my acoustic music.
I walked away from the most pleasant and real music oriented HIFI/HEADFI shop I have ever been to  with a new pair of headphones this evening.
The setting at Stars Pickers in KL is almost like a very cosy  and inviting home environment with young friendly staff and  a very nice display of many headphones/Dacs and even some tube amps and book-shelf speakers. And the walls and  real bookshelves display  iconic album covers ranging from the Beatles' classic Abbey Road album to many classical music  LP covers by great artists of the past.
It resembled my own living/listening room so much that I almost felt a bit homesick.
My old  HD 800 will be refurbished and put on the second hand market when I get back home later this spring.
With a bit of luck they may get HUGO 2 too, before I return home.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #62 of 146
Love the comparisons. I had to give in and put an order in for the he1000 v2. Theyre just so good and such a good compliment to my inventory. Haven't heard the v2 but my demo with the v1 had me thinking about it ever since. Great, unique headphone that I think anyone should be proud to own.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #64 of 146
I don't know what genres you listen to. But  after roughly six hours of intense  listening comparisons under much better conditions than in Singapore here in KL today  with classical music hi res masterfiles I tend to agree with you regarding the first two. I have no idea how the ZMF Eikon sounds but I strongly prefer open back headphone for my acoustic music.
I walked away from the most pleasant and real music oriented HIFI/HEADFI shop I have ever been to  with a new pair of headphones this evening.
The setting at Stars Pickers in KL is almost like a very cosy  and inviting home environment with young friendly staff and  a very nice display of many headphones/Dacs and even some tube amps and book-shelf speakers. And the walls and  real bookshelves display  iconic album covers ranging from the Beatles' classic Abbey Road album to many classical music  LP covers by great artists of the past.
It resembled my own living/listening room so much that I almost felt a bit homesick.
My old  HD 800 will be refurbished and put on the second hand market when I get back home later this spring.
With a bit of luck they may get HUGO 2 too, before I return home.

So which one is it you ended up with? In any event: Enjoy your new toy!
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #65 of 146

So which one is it you ended up with? In any event: Enjoy your new toy!
beerchug.gif

Hello JaZZ, I thought you might have guessed which one  I bought from my earlier posts and the above one?
At least with my HUGO which was the only dac I used, the HEK V2 was both  the most comfortable and  long term  listening "musical" with large scale classical music of the two, to my ears.
So that is the one I bought.
I was already tempted by HEK last spring and the improved and now slightly more sensitive new V2  was  an easier drive for HUGO which got a bit of a vitamin injection and now  sounds clearly better with most tracks than my HD 800.
Simply more of everything already good  ie  more resolution in all its aspects, from HEK and  the HD 800 and without the slight hardening in the treble which mars HD 800 at times and with some albums.
The HEKV2 is still like HEK "Oh soo sweet" and seductive with lots of bass and timbral information, which is  hinted at but slighty less realistic sounding with the HD800.
Acoustic music should live and breathe in an acoustic  space and it really does with HEKV2.
The Utopia seemed much more upfront and a bit lacking in soundstage in comparison and had a tendency to slight hardening from massed strings and percussion at fff at times.
Midrange/Treble boost?
And especially the bass and low level spatial information like decaying into gradual silence from percussive instruments was more convincing and closer to  live sounding with the HEKV2 than both HD800 and the Utopia.
I am looking forward to hearing how  my new  HEKV2 sounds with both DAVE and HUGO 2 as well in a while.
But I have to admit that ,as much as I have moaned about it lately,my old  HUGO is no slouch  with these new headphones either.
HEK was "stretching" HUGO a bit, but  with HEKV2  HUGO sounds very good indeed with most recordings.
Not quite  SOTA but very enjoyable with most of my music.
So yes I am enjoying my new toy a lot while waiting for HUGO 2  to become available.
Cheers Christer

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #66 of 146
I too listen to Classical music (mainly) .It is the genre by which I select my Headphones and associated equipment(I'm not interested in having multi rigs or swapping during a 'session')
For many years,I too had the Senns HD800 ( suitably modded and hard wired) and when paired with the wonderful Apex Teton, it was a dream combination for this genre of music. ( I've often posted,I should not have sold the Teton !!)
As soon as I heard the HEK v1 , I knew a change was necessary.
I'm currently 'going through the card' to ascertain if I can  improve further!
First obvious move was to upgrade to the v2.(that is sold the v1 and bought v2-not HFM's upgrade scheme) 
v2 clearly bests the v1. (not just musically, but feel ,fit etc)
I should mention that I currently run the HEK v2 with the Allnic HPA-5000, a stunning combination !
At the same audition, I tried the main TOTL Headphone contenders. As this thread is concerned with Utopia v HEK, then I'll restrict my comments the two . The Utopia completely underwhelmed me !!
I should point out at this point that my Allnic sounded better than almost all other 'front ends' available for me to audition at the time.(maybe one other to further investigate) The Utopia is not best out of the Allnic, so as a direct comparison was not totally fair to the Utopia.(Like the HD800, the Utopia's high sensitivity is apparently the reason why it's not overly compatible with the Allnic)
Clearly, when recommending a Headphone,I believe the associated equipment just as essential. The HEK v2 with the Allnic is as good as it gets for me with Classical Music(at this time). I do not intend to 'write-off' the Utopia. It just maybe that the Utopia is best paired with something else !?
If any person should recommend the Utopia straight out of the DAVE, then I can state , I've been there!!  Tried it. Don't know what all the fuss is about !! It makes me laugh !! . Over on the DAVE thread, we've been told endlessly just how good it is, then an endless supply of upgrades,'add-ons' power supplies etc etc, then it's now a Blue2 !!   I stick with my Meridian 818 as source!( maybe, I'll soon  upgrade to the Ultra-nice!!....... or a Vitus?)
Just one last comment on tube Amplification. I've having an exchange of PMs with a 'high-profile' member on a number of issues. This person at one point described 'tubes' as 'Fuzzy' .As we progressed,it became apparent that he had little/no experience with them !!!???
I'll say no more!!
Oh and another thing,in all my recent auditions, it's the recordings themselves that are really causing the problem !! Bearing in mind, many of my stuff dates back to the beginning of 'time' !!(LOL!!) Like others, I've been waiting too long for 'MQA' to get these old recordings           'sorted' !!

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #67 of 146
Congrats on your new hekv2! I too thought it was much better for classical. I actually prefer the hek in almost everyway vs Utopia. To me the Utopia is overrated and I think more than 50% of people buy it without demo or comparing to other flagships and kind of force themselves to believe it's the best. At least to me.. hek is leaps ahead in sound quality.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #68 of 146
Congrats on your new hekv2! I too thought it was much better for classical. I actually prefer the hek in almost everyway vs Utopia. To me the Utopia is overrated and I think more than 50% of people buy it without demo or comparing to other flagships and kind of force themselves to believe it's the best. At least to me.. hek is leaps ahead in sound quality.

You may have and be entitled to your very own opinion...but to assumed that people make their high ticket purchasing decision based on a certain hype is just condescending and presumptuous.

Do you actually own, much less live with an Utopia in any length of time before you make this ludicrous statement? 

Not saying Utopia is the best out there as my Abyss runs it very close. It blew my HEKv1 out of the water in everyway to the extend that my HEK just sat there gathering dust, and I've just received my HEKv2 so I will try to do some extended listening this coming week.

It's good to have one's own opinion and sticking to it but please don't develop a heightened sense of superiority complex and assumed others are ignorant about acquiring their gears or spending their money

Apr 2, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #69 of 146

well, I assume to each his own is very true here...

I have the HEK v1 since a couple of years. enjoyed them a lot, bought a custom amp just for them.

since I have Utopia, HEK v1 are gathering dust on their stand, those french cans are many leaps ahead in terms of sound quality, immersion in music, liveliness sensation. and this is out of all my amps.

still have to listen to HEK v2 so cannot comment on them even if I doubt they will be a miracle, but HEK v1 IMHO is definitely in a lower league than Utopia. just IMHO of course, and YMMV.

Apr 2, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #70 of 146
After 2 days with HEK v2 comparing it to Utopia, I'm of the opinion that the HEK v2 is inferior to Utopia in term of speed, and treble smoothness, there's always a hint of harshness in the HEK upper midrange, even at normal listening level. Basically the sound signature is not as refined as the Utopia. The only thing the HEK got going for it is a wider sound stage, and bass quantity which I do enjoy very much, although bass quality is behind Utopia.  I really wanted to like the HEK, it's more comfortable for me, with the wide cup and light weight, I can wear it longer than the Utopia, but considering that I listen primarily to female focal, the upper mid range harshness is a no-go for me.  So far I think this one will go back.

Update:
So I decided to stop trying to compare HEK to Utopia and just giving it a listen, moving away from the troublesome tracks that highlight the HEK's weaknesses.  I came to the realization that I enjoyed the HEK sound sig quite a bit, it's musical, provided a very enjoyable listening experience.  I attributed this to the substantial bass, which I can somewhat felt sometimes.  One thing is for sure, v2 is better than v1, tracks that I find unbearable on v1 are enjoyable on the v2.  More listening is needed... 

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #71 of 146
You may have and be entitled to your very own opinion...but to assumed that people make their high ticket purchasing decision based on a certain hype is just condescending and presumptuous.

Do you actually own, much less live with an Utopia in any length of time before you make this ludicrous statement? 

Not saying Utopia is the best out there as my Abyss runs it very close. It blew my HEKv1 out of the water in everyway to the extend that my HEK just sat there gathering dust, and I've just received my HEKv2 so I will try to do some extended listening this coming week.

It's good to have one's own opinion and sticking to it but please don't develop a heightened sense of superiority complex and assumed others are ignorant about acquiring their gears or spending their money

Not sure if I hurt your feelings and if I did I apologize but I definitely have to stick to my guns here and having spent many hours both in my home and out of home trying to convince myself to enjoy the Utopia.. it just isn't for me. To me the sound signature is quite flawed and the heavy weight is hard to get past assuming you aren't enjoying the music on top of that.. again my opinion.

As for buying before listening.. I could be wrong but I've been following it since the day it was announced and so many people bought before auditioning .. again I would assume more than 50%. To be fair, it would be hard to audition it first for most people anyway.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #72 of 146

Not sure if I hurt your feelings and if I did I apologize but I definitely have to stick to my guns here and having spent many hours both in my home and out of home trying to convince myself to enjoy the Utopia.. it just isn't for me. To me the sound signature is quite flawed and the heavy weight is hard to get past assuming you aren't enjoying the music on top of that.. again my opinion.

As for buying before listening.. I could be wrong but I've been following it since the day it was announced and so many people bought before auditioning .. again I would assume more than 50%. To be fair, it would be hard to audition it first for most people anyway.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #73 of 146

Don't you think saying the Utopia's sound signature is quite flawed because it's not for you, may be a little over the top. Some prefer headphones that are capable of rendering recordings as close to their original form as possible, like the Utopia. While others prefer headphones that can emulate the real to life experience of a live venue with all it's acoustical character, like the HE-1000.

Both are great headphones depending on one's preference. No need to trash good audio equipment.

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #75 of 146
I have read many times that Stax Sr 009 is the ultimate headphone when it comes to resolution and clarity, so does Utopia Surpass Sr 009 here in terms of resolution and clarity?

Nope the SR-SR009 has greater resolution compared to the Utopia.  It can have a hard hitting bass as well as long as you have a good enough amp to drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back