FIIO X1 vs Colorfly C3 vs xDuoo X2 vs Clip+
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zenbun

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the clip+, is it worth it to invest in a higher priced player?

Which one is better between the Colorfly C3 and xDuoo X2 and FiiO M3?

The FIIO X1 is a little bigger than all of the others and pricier is there a major difference between it and the others?

Some more questions:
Can they support ogg, aac?
Do they recognize a 128GB microSD card?
How fast do they scan all the music files? The clip+ even with rockbox can take a few seconds.
Can they display Japanese?

Edit: I just read the C3 doesn't have a shuffle all option and its shuffle is very bad, so it's pretty useless for my use.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 6
some measurable audio variables depend on the headphone/IEM you're using. like the xduoo x2 was a little too hissy for me on my most sensitive IEMs. the fiio X1 has a 2 ohm output, and again some specific multidriver IEMs end up with a slight but audible signature change because of it.

but based on what you say, you'll regret the clip with pretty much all those devices when it comes to practical use and habits. for practical use I'd suggest too look for another device with a good rockbox version for it. or to move on to something using android that let you use whatever app with whatever features you specifically enjoy(but the price might not be to your liking).
to this day I haven't found anything to replace my clip+.
- I have in most cases, better sound on my fiio X1(objectively).
- I have a lot of fun with convolution, EQ, bluetooth, streaming... on my phone. but battery life and amp section aren't amazing.
- I use a sony A15 as my almost small DAP(like 3 times the surface of a clip+ but slim), and it has crazy long battery life which is nicer to have than I would have expected. but a sony IMO bad version of replay gain, nothing close to gapless on lossy formats, and very limited EQ.

but I've never found something I could call a true clip+ replacement. small stuff tend to have stupid and limited UI, some aren't even as good as a clip+ on the audio side(a lot of cheap Chinese DAPs are small but the UI is what I would develop if I was trying to prank a friend).
all that to say that you will have to compromise because our dream dap doesn't exist. for me the price isn't really a limit yet I end up getting several cheap DAPs because the expensive ones tend to be even further away from what I want a DAP to be, starting by small and lightweight.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 6
some measurable audio variables depend on the headphone/IEM you're using. like the xduoo x2 was a little too hissy for me on my most sensitive IEMs. the fiio X1 has a 2 ohm output, and again some specific multidriver IEMs end up with a slight but audible signature change because of it.

but based on what you say, you'll regret the clip with pretty much all those devices when it comes to practical use and habits. for practical use I'd suggest too look for another device with a good rockbox version for it. or to move on to something using android that let you use whatever app with whatever features you specifically enjoy(but the price might not be to your liking).
to this day I haven't found anything to replace my clip+.
- I have in most cases, better sound on my fiio X1(objectively).
- I have a lot of fun with convolution, EQ, bluetooth, streaming... on my phone. but battery life and amp section aren't amazing.
- I use a sony A15 as my almost small DAP(like 3 times the surface of a clip+ but slim), and it has crazy long battery life which is nicer to have than I would have expected. but a sony IMO bad version of replay gain, nothing close to gapless on lossy formats, and very limited EQ.

but I've never found something I could call a true clip+ replacement. small stuff tend to have stupid and limited UI, some aren't even as good as a clip+ on the audio side(a lot of cheap Chinese DAPs are small but the UI is what I would develop if I was trying to prank a friend).
all that to say that you will have to compromise because our dream dap doesn't exist. for me the price isn't really a limit yet I end up getting several cheap DAPs because the expensive ones tend to be even further away from what I want a DAP to be, starting by small and lightweight.

What I'm looking for in the UI is that I could do a shuffle all on my 128GB card and move to the next track. As long as the random function of the shuffle is good (uniform distribution) then it's fine.

sony A15 is a little pricey for me.

What is convolution?

The 2 ohm output of the X1 is almost as the clip+ (1 ohm) what's wrong with that?

Do you think it's better to invest in better IEMs/headphones than a DAP?

Also what rockboxed device would you recommend? Most of the players there are discontinued or very old.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 6
What I'm looking for in the UI is that I could do a shuffle all on my 128GB card and move to the next track. As long as the random function of the shuffle is good (uniform distribution) then it's fine.

sony A15 is a little pricey for me.

What is convolution?

The 2 ohm output of the X1 is almost as the clip+ (1 ohm) what's wrong with that?

Do you think it's better to invest in better IEMs/headphones than a DAP?

Also what rockboxed device would you recommend? Most of the players there are discontinued or very old.

1. Use a decent smartphone, that's what worked best for me.
  2. Convolution is a type of DSP. It's to simulate music played in a room, etc by adding reverb.
  3. If the output impedance is too high, less electrical dampening occurs. Basically, you don't want less electrical dampening or issues like the bass rolling off or becoming boomy and flabby occur. The general rule is to keep the output impedance below 1/8 of the headphone/IEM.
  4. Yes, you get much more value out of a better IEM/headphone. Though it depends on what you already own and if you're satisfied with them. But if your current DAP/DAC/Amp have issues (ie high noise floor, distorts, etc) then investing in a DAP/DAC/Amp should be something to prioritize.

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 6
  1. Use a decent smartphone, that's what worked best for me.
  2. Convolution is a type of DSP. It's to simulate music played in a room, etc by adding reverb.
  3. If the output impedance is too high, less electrical dampening occurs. Basically, you don't want less electrical dampening or issues like the bass rolling off or becoming boomy and flabby occur. The general rule is to keep the output impedance below 1/8 of the headphone/IEM.
  4. Yes, you get much more value out of a better IEM/headphone. Though it depends on what you already own and if you're satisfied with them. But if your current DAP/DAC/Amp have issues (ie high noise floor, distorts, etc) then investing in a DAP/DAC/Amp should be something to prioritize.

I don't want to spend a lot on a smartphone, I need it just for messaging and reading on the web and some simple apps, so no point in spending a lot on it, I'm doing fine with cheap Chinese phones. I also prefer to not rely on my phone's battery, the clip+ can outlive any phone on a single charge.

I own only sub $100 IEMs and headphones, VSonic GR06 and Takstar pro 80 are the "best" ones I have.
I'll get better IEMs then.

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 6
I can vouch for Xduoo X2 is a good player. No complains for the money but if you looking towards Fiio X1 then I would strongly suggest you to look at Xduoo X3. Going cheap now and for the price it's unbeatable. If you are still feeling spending a little more for better sound and after sale services etc then Cayin N3 and Shanling M2s both around $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back