FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth!
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #2,581 of 3,121
No it isn't hard to do firmware updates but this many to me is extreme and speaks to Fiio's tendency to release products before proper testing is done. I don't like having to be a beta tester and constantly doing firmware updates. I want what I paid for when I paid for it and not several months later after countless updates are needed. Not the mark of a good company in my opinion.

Apr 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #2,582 of 3,121
Just updated to 1.6.0--the "Gapless" setting has a brief but very noticeable hiccup. Listening to MP3s on both "Category" (media library) and "Browse Files" mode using wired headphones.

Otherwise, the UI is definitely faster in all areas, though navigating using the media library is still unacceptably slow. I have a large library--almost 30,000 tracks--but that's why I bought a DAP with support for 256GB MicroSD cards...

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #2,583 of 3,121
Okey can you explain what is better on the X1-II than the N3?

N3 has alot more power, better bluetooth, better screen, better LO options, the same battery life, No lag issues! To me these differences easily justify the extra $50.00. The X1-II has been on the market longer with more time to update firmware which it has needed to do a tonne of and still going. The N3 has needed exactly one firmware update and added replaygain.

Headfonia and Headfoniacs both rate the N3 higher across the board including sound quality. I will give the X1-II a better score for build quality but that is about it as far as I can tell. Has Fiio improved sound quality with any of the firmware updates?

Do you own the X1ii and the N3?

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,584 of 3,121
I have both the X1-II and the N3 and while I like the speed and "bug-free" firmware of the N3, I do like the X1-II's touch-wheel and interface. It's really easy to miss the buttons (or hit the wrong one) on the N3 when blindly reaching for it. Plus, the N3 with it's exposed side buttons are really easy to accidentally hit when it's in the pocket. Sound-wise, the X1-II is warmer and more spacious, but the clarity of the N3 is great so there's a nice draw between the two there. The screen and graphic layout of the N3 I much more prefer than the tiny screen and chopped art of the X1-II.

I have he N3 and X1ii also and I agree with everything you said in your post...both players have their good points and bad points but I just prefer the X1ii due to the touch wheel and the excellent build quality of the X1ii and I like the sound of both but maybe prefer the sound of the X1ii.

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,586 of 3,121
I have never touched an N3, which is why I cannot comment on it, but I have touched most DAPs at a similar price with x1ii, especially those available in Romania. Long story short, there is no way around it, X1ii beat them in terms of usability and sound quality. The only next DAP that meant an upgrade for me was x3ii, not considering smartphones as I didn't test every smartphone out there.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #2,587 of 3,121
Well, the latest FW update tipped the scale for me so I ordered an X1II this morning. Took FiiO long enough, but it was between the X1II and N3 as far as my next DAP was concerned. While the N3 has some added bonuses, I don't need them. Now if FiiO can sort out the Bluetooth that would be great so I can use it with my Bluetooth IEMs and speaker.

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,588 of 3,121
It would be logical to own both as opposed to making endless suppositions about the virtues of one over the other. That’s a forum for OCD, not DAPs.

That's why I asked if he did own both...I've read plenty of negative comments from people who don't own the X1ii and it bugs me because their opinions are just based on second hand information. They can't know the device unless they actually use the device and any opinions they have on it are useless because they really don't know. But since I do own both the N3 ans X1ii I'll just state for the record that both are excellent entry level DAPs but I prefer the X1ii due to it's superior build quality, long battery life (I don't get the stated 12 hours from the N3) and excellent sound quality plus Fiio is a good company that stands by it's products and tries to continually improve them. I think fw 1.6 was a major step forward for the X1ii.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,589 of 3,121
I've read plenty of negative comments from people who don't own the X1ii and it bugs me because their opinions are just based on second hand information.

Precisely, hearing the X1 II is better than hearsay. FiiO is deservedly doing well. Both the Opus#1 and QP1R have had multiple firmware updates, so this isn't an aberration. I have many DAPs to choose from, but my hand always reaches for the X1 II whenever I leave the house. It’s sleek, thin, sounds good and has easy navigation… which would seem to meet all provisos for portable audio, but the fact it’s so inexpensive also means I’m not handling the little DAP with those proverbial kid gloves. I do think the touch wheel is a major boon as it seems to promise greater longevity.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #2,592 of 3,121
Precisely, hearing the X1 II is better than hearsay. FiiO is deservedly doing well. Both the Opus#1 and QP1R have had multiple firmware updates, so this isn't an aberration. I have many DAPs to choose from, but my hand always reaches for the X1 II whenever I leave the house. It’s sleek, thin, sounds good and has easy navigation… which would seem to meet all provisos for portable audio, but the fact it’s so inexpensive also means I’m not handling the little DAP with those proverbial kid gloves. I do think the touch wheel is a major boon as it seems to promise greater longevity.

I'm the same way...when I want to listen to something I usually grab the X1ii. It's such a pleasure to use...definitely my favorite DAP out of what I own.

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2,593 of 3,121
I'm the same way...when I want to listen to something I usually grab the X1ii. It's such a pleasure to use...definitely my favorite DAP out of what I own.
I tend to grab the X1-II when I'm sitting around listening or if I am skipping around tracks a bunch. However, when I'm out and plan on having the whole card randomized and tracks playing continuously, I'll take the N3 as it has ReplayGain. Well, that and when I'm listening to DSD files.

Since I don't use gapless or BT, and both players provide good sound quality, I don't have a preference otherwise.

May 1, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #2,594 of 3,121
I have a very big problem, since I have updated on the new firmware 1.6.0. , I call it he blackscreen-problem!

Every time when I have listened to the songs of an album, I can´t skip back to the main menu (category). The player always shuts of and shows a black screen. No more input is possible!
When I press the different shortcut buttons, only small numbers appear (from 1 to 7).

The only way to come out of this trap, is to hold the on/off-button for a few seconds, then the player boots again.
This takes always time and is very annoying.

Momentanly I can only use the shuffle-mod for all songs, that means I can`t choose a song, without getting trapped by the black screen.

All the other functions (bluetooth, gapless...) work well, and I am happy with my little player.

For me I get around this by power off, then taking out the card, power on than insert the card again.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. @FiiO not sure if you have noticed this?

Also can someone tell me where is the search thread function on the new website interface for desktop? Really irritating :/

May 1, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #2,595 of 3,121
I tend to grab the X1-II when I'm sitting around listening or if I am skipping around tracks a bunch. However, when I'm out and plan on having the whole card randomized and tracks playing continuously, I'll take the N3 as it has ReplayGain. Well, that and when I'm listening to DSD files.

Since I don't use gapless or BT, and both players provide good sound quality, I don't have a preference otherwise.

I'd probably do the same thing but since I mostly listen to albums replay gain isn't an essential feature for me so either player would do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back