FiiO E17K Review
Oct 1, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #107 of 135
  Vs. the E07 which I had before, it's definitely worth the difference. One thing to be aware of if you are wanting to use an Android device as a source is that the E17K isn't designed to work with Android (according to Fiio) and may or may not work.

The E17K didn't work with my previous Android 5 phone. I just upgraded to an Android 6 phone and have used it once with the E17K. It works and sounds good but its display only registers 48K / 16 bit which can be a sign it is working as an amp but not a DAC. It certainly sounded better than the phone, but I only had a limited time to listen so I need to check it out again. The Dragonfly Red and Black are also strong contenders in this price range, and do work with Android.

E07 isn't going to be hard to beat.  Its amplifier section is basically a slightly altered E05, which is junk.

Oct 16, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #109 of 135
TI's PCM5102 DAC fed by SaviAudio's SA9027 USB receiver.

Oct 16, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #111 of 135
Well, if my iBasso D7 (uses unbuffered WM8740 for line-out) is anything to go by versus the Meridian Explorer 1 & 2 (use unbuffered PCM5102) and FiiO E10k (PCM5102 + OPA1662 buffer) that I've heard in the past, 5102 delivers sick bass and an upfront, more controlled sound, WM8740 delivers a more laid-back, less controlled, and more natural and analogue-like sound.  I like 8740 better for the naturalness.  I wish it had 5102's bass, though.  E10k sounds a pinch more natural, and has a deeper soundstage due to the 1662 buffer, but the circuit design suffers from very noticeable crosstalk.

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #113 of 135
Hello members!

this is my first post and i am relatively new to this. Please bear with me.
i have just ordered the E17k and wanted to know your thoughts on using a 
bluetooth receiver with this.

1) What is the best way to connect from the bluetooth receiver to the E17k ? whether Line in or Coax.
( the bluetooth receiver has 3.5 mm as well as RCA out)

2) Is there any other (better) way of achieving the same? (bluetooth audio will mostly be streamed from either my computer or my android device) I am aware usb OTG is available but i want to also have a bluetooth option available.

thank you

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #114 of 135
Do you say the E12 is more transparent and balanced because of it's FR? Because the E12 has the more colored FR: http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/ofey_s/FiiO/SpectrumE12.png

The entire spectrum is literally titled up towards the treble. The E17K is perfectly flat besides some .25 dB roll-off in the bass and treble, basically negligible. If you're talking about representing the headphone purely as the manufacturer intended, you're getting relatively colored sound with the E12 (unless that kind of bright FR is what headphone manufacturers use as a testing baseline?).

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #115 of 135
  Do you say the E12 is more transparent and balanced because of it's FR? Because the E12 has the more colored FR: http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/ofey_s/FiiO/SpectrumE12.png

The entire spectrum is literally titled up towards the treble. The E17K is perfectly flat besides some .25 dB roll-off in the bass and treble, basically negligible. If you're talking about representing the headphone purely as the manufacturer intended, you're getting relatively colored sound with the E12 (unless that kind of bright FR is what headphone manufacturers use as a testing baseline?).

Try this - adjust the volume at any frequency by 0.25 dB and see if you can tell the difference.  Saying that E12 is coloured because of a 0.25 dB change (which is basically inaudible - and especially so when listening to music) is a little misleading.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #116 of 135

Try this - adjust the volume at any frequency by 0.25 dB and see if you can tell the difference.  Saying that E12 is coloured because of a 0.25 dB change (which is basically inaudible - and especially so when listening to music) is a little misleading.

You misread my post. The E17K is the one with the .25 db roll-off, not the E12. The E12 differential from bass to treble is over 1 db. Not only is there 1dB roll off in the bass, but the entire response is tilted upwards (which imo would have more of an effect on sound than a roll off effecting less of the FR with the same dB differential), bringing the total differential from extremes to about 1.5 dB. The image I included is for the E12. 

The E17K is .25 dB rolled off bass and +.20 dB upper treble, which is a lot closer to negligible than what's happening with the E12. So for OP to say the E17K is colored and E12 neutral makes no sense to me because the E12 has a less neutral FR than the E17K. So I'm wondering if it's something other than FR that causes the E17K to sound colored relative to the E12, or if the reviewer just has a bias for what a neutral amp sounds like. Like, if you've always used bright amps during your life, you will associate an actually flat FR with warmth.

Unless the industry standard testing amp for headphone manufacturers is a bright or rolled off in bass, I feel like an actually neutral amp is more neutral and represents the headphone sound more faithfully.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #117 of 135
In that case we agree (about the E17K) 
wink.gif
.  I love mine, and have always regarded it pretty much as the epitomy of neutrality.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #118 of 135
I've been looking around and do not have a completely clear answer.

I've heard that the E10K have enough power to run 300Ohm headphones on. I would believe that these would be true for the E17K too, yes (Although both recommend 150 Ohms - any downsides to this?)? I plan on running HD650s with the E17K.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #119 of 135
The E17K has more than enough output for my HD600s and HD800S if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back