Feliks Audio tube amps
Jul 16, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #271 of 1,113
I told them of my preference at home for the Mullard 6080 and Ken Rad driver tubes - and they said it sounded interesting, but must run quite hot!

It's true that 6080 tubes runs hotter. 6as7 are not as hot. Oh well, just run a small fan against it. :)

6080 is identical in data spec to 6as7 though and perfectly legitimate.

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #272 of 1,113
@Aornic I see the Focal Utopia in the picture. Or it that the Elear?

Who brought it there?

Can you show some pictures of the Feliks Audio troops.
Feliks had both the Utopia and Elear at their booth, as well Beyerdynamic T1.

Don't have any more photos of their booth I don't think. The lighting at CanJam is really bad for cameras.

Jul 16, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #273 of 1,113
Feliks had both the Utopia and Elear at their booth, as well Beyerdynamic T1.

Don't have any more photos of their booth I don't think. The lighting at CanJam is really bad for cameras.

So they know that the Focal Utopia and Elear plays well with their amps or they won't be using those headphones. Again my ears weren't lying to me. Utopia and Elear sounded gorgeous on my Euforia.

T1 is a given. I am surprised they don't have my now favourite headphone - HD800. :smile_phones:

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #274 of 1,113
Despite this, I noticed some preferred the Elise for its warmer characteristic - so it really is a preference and you can't go wrong with either.

I don't agree with this assessment though. Euforia sounded warmer than Elise to me using the same tubes. Euforia have more texture, layers and density of tone. It's a richer sound. Elise sounded leaner to me.

However, both amps are so easily tuneable with a variety of tubes. I could get both amps to sound bright, neutral or warm... at my command. I mean at my tubes command. :dt880smile:

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #275 of 1,113
Mordy, I am not talking about age. I am talking about length of time on Elise thread since the beginning when dinasaurs roam the earth...
Hi UT,

Look, my Elise is #9 and I paid the original introductory price of $499 - so yes, I am one of the first Mohicans. And since I am ever upgrading, my Euforia is #8!
And now, a preview of USB#4!

upload_2017-7-16_12-40-41.jpeg

From the product brochure:
Ever striving for the sky, USB#4 promises increased headroom, greater capacity and more dynamic weight for a top floor performance,

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #276 of 1,113
Yeah, Zach's tuning is really nice, especially if you like a little more low end.

If you like acoustic music, the bass is just killer in many recordings.
Really wonderful for some down and dirty blues.

If a person owns an OTL amp these cans are a wonderful match....there are not many 300 ohm headphones out there and this is where the OTL amps are best IMO, 100 ohms and up

A good point there ww. Sometime ago, a person on the Atticus and Eikon thread said that Elise didn't match well with these headphones. I think that put a lot of readers off Elise unfairly.

Yet now we have Zach who have a Euforia saying that it match perfectly with these headphones. Euforia is a super upgraded Elise but the sound characteristics are still there.

Even aornic says that Eikon pairs very well with these amps.

The morale of the story. Learn who to listen to and also to try it out for yourself.

I think the exact words were that Atticus and Eikon sounded muddy out of Elise.

Now I am sure if Atticus and Eikon sounded muddy with Elise and Euforia, Zach wouldn't have told me...

With both those amps you'll certainly be getting the full potential from either the eikon or Atticus

Would he?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #277 of 1,113
Mordy, it looks like just 2 Mohicans left.

You take the front of the boat. I will take the back. Together we will row upstream. :)

And row faster ! There are crocodiles behind !

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #278 of 1,113
This is a personal opinion of HD800. In my humble opinion, having heard a plethora of headphones, I'm still of the opinion that HD800 is still the supreme headphone... for my ears. This last point is very important because there are preferences just as every human being looks different. You like curry, I like chicken rice, he likes pasta, etc, etc.

These are the headphones I've heard. When I said heard, I mean listened attentively even if it's a few minutes in a very quiet environment. DT880, DT990, DT770 HD600, HD650, AKG K701, 702, 812, T1, HE560, HE500, MrSpeaker Ether Flow C, Oppo PM1, Sony MDR Z1R, Focal Utopia, Elear, HD800, HD800S, Senn Momentum 2, PSB M4U2, Grado RS2E, PS500, SR325e, Stax SR-007, 009, Senn mini Orpheus HE6. Could be more but I won't list anymore... :smile_phones:

These are headphones I have owned. DT880, Audio Technica ath-m50x, HD650, T1, HE560, PSB M4U2, Sennheiser Momentum 2, HD650, HD800.

All the headphones were listened to on my Elise and Euforia. Out of all these headphones, (besides Utopia) the HD800 is my preferred choice. It's not perfect. I don't think any headphone is but it's the best of the lot to my ears.

However I am about to introduce ZMF Atticus and / or Eikon to my stable. I'll see which headphone gets more head time on me head after 1 year. Who knows, I might be a converted bass head.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #280 of 1,113
Too scary

OMG, row FASTER .... Mordy !!! :ksc75smile:

Now the preservation of these 2 precious Egytian artifacts (Elise and Euforia) rest on our unworthy shoulders. Like the hobbits in the Lord of the Rings, we have to carry these rings to Middle Earth. I am the good looking Frodo Braggins and you are the fatty Sam. Got it?

Let's move...

and watch out for Gollum... he's ugly.

Gollum_Render.png

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #281 of 1,113
I look back at my previous head-fi setup. Life was simpler then and it sounded good but there's no comparison with Yggy > Euforia > HD800 now. There's no return to the river of no returns.

and those EL11 is reminder of my contaminated past.... :scream: can't say it didn't sound good though...

DSC_0002 (1).JPG

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #284 of 1,113
Now if Addicted To Audio don't come back to me in a week's time on my Ragnarok, I'll shoot them....

Should I get the Violectric V281 instead? I save $300 !!!

Which is better? Violectric V281 or Schiit Ragnorak? Any opinions? Both are balance monsters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back