Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #9,706 of 11,833
@hypnos1, do you know which type of tube was the white base Psvane that FA used on the Elise? Also, given your past experience with the Psvane CV181/TII, can you offer any opinion about the sonic differences @Aornic heard between the Elise and the Euforia ? Basically, what I'm asking is whether the tubes used represent a certain 'preferred' flavor FA likes to give to each particular amp, or are simply the best they could do for each amp's stock sound.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #9,707 of 11,833
I can see you angpsi. Even though you are on the phone, apparently you are a real person:ksc75smile: Real people need sleep, BTW :jecklinsmile:
Lights are off, wife is asleep next to me, maybe I should take a hint!

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #9,708 of 11,833
Now you see me... now you don't! Goodnight! :beerchug:

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #9,709 of 11,833
Another favorable impression of the FA amps at CanJam London by @CantScareMe. Did you listen to both the Elise and the Euforia? I'd like to hear more about your experience!

"Feliks audio's amps were impressive.
I thought I was listening to a multi thousand pound piece of equipment and was shocked when he revealed the price (like £600 or something)"

But we knew that already!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #9,710 of 11,833
You are most welcome!!!!!
Every time Glenn comes over I learn so much about Audio, it's like I know nothing.
Not to mention the little experiments he does which I find fascinating
Hi @rosgr63, I'm sure Glenn has already come and gone but are you still available to meet sometime? And would you happen to have a pair of TS 6sn7gt VT231 black round base?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #9,712 of 11,833
:k701smile:I have decideded to tell you more about my way into expensive Head-Fi. For newbees, never buy a good headphone, it's costing you more than you realise.

It started when my wireless headphone started to shed it's pads. And I don't like flakes of rubber around my ears. Given the fact that the shop were I used to buy my gear had closed because the owner retired I went to the only other shop I knew. A fancy Shop selling things like B&O and loewe and brands I hadn't heard of before.
After listening to 5 cans, It became a close race between a senn 650 and the K701. The last one I liked most and was my most expensive buy ever and still costs money.:k701smile:
I paired it with my Philips 5cd exchanger and was very happy till I started to notice something was lacking. I Went back to that shop and came home with a Xcan V8 + Xpsu and a new cable to connect the CD Player with the amp.
I was happy again till I decided that I needed a quality CD Player, the marantz s15s1
And again, After a while I noticed that during daytimes the music sounded less good than at 23:00.
Time for a netfilter.
And now, years later, time for a sexy looking amp that hopefully sounds great.:wink: 

Althalus.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #9,713 of 11,833
:k701smile:I have decideded to tell you more about my way into expensive Head-Fi. For newbees, never buy a good headphone, it's costing you more than you realise.

It started when my wireless headphone started to shed it's pads. And I don't like flakes of rubber around my ears. Given the fact that the shop were I used to buy my gear had closed because the owner retired I went to the only other shop I knew. A fancy Shop selling things like B&O and loewe and brands I hadn't heard of before.
After listening to 5 cans, It became a close race between a senn 650 and the K701. The last one I liked most and was my most expensive buy ever and still costs money.:k701smile:
I paired it with my Philips 5cd exchanger and was very happy till I started to notice something was lacking. I Went back to that shop and came home with a Xcan V8 + Xpsu and a new cable to connect the CD Player with the amp.
I was happy again till I decided that I needed a quality CD Player, the marantz s15s1
And again, After a while I noticed that during daytimes the music sounded less good than at 23:00.
Time for a netfilter.
And now, years later, time for a sexy looking amp that hopefully sounds great.:wink: 

Althalus.

And now going at it once again! Be prepared to roll tubes, they're quite the deal with this amp. Unless you want to go straight to the top–tier tubes, where, IMO, you'll basically save money. The downside is that you won't have sampled all of the other options so you won't be fully aware of the gains! Which tubes are you starting up with?

On the same note, I know I paid for my education; at first I could easily discern tonal differences with different tubes but overall I didn't find any of them to be significantly better than the stock Svetlana 6N13S with the 'upgrade' Psvane UK6sn7. Then I gradually got: [1] a pair of Mullard 6080 with a pair of Svetlana 6sn7wgt, [2] a pair of GEC 6080 with a pair of Sylvania 6sn7w, and [3] a pair of Tung-Sol 5998 along with a pair of Tung-Sol 6sn7. While according to my taste combo #2 is end-game, all of these combos gave me an OMG jump in performance (especially #2 and #3), and revealed how incredibly both the Elise and my HD600 could scale. At this point I'm extremely happy with combo #2, so much I'm considering letting go of my other tubes in order to finance building up a stock of my preferred ones! Of course one could roll tubes for flavor, but I'm kind of a 'leave and forget' kinda guy...

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #9,714 of 11,833
That being said, I'm sure @mordy can give you solid advice on low–priced tubes!

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #9,715 of 11,833
That being said, I'm sure @mordy can give you solid advice on low–priced tubes!
I thank you, but I think it's wise to stay with the tubes that come with my Euforia for the first couple of months. And of course wait till my Euforia arrives. And then, after a couple of months, we will see.

Althalus

PS, I noticed that responding to someone results in ending up in a "wrong" thread, but who cares, Euforia is just a matured Elise :wink:

Edit, angspi, thank you for listing those tubes, maybe I need it in the future.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #9,716 of 11,833
Edit, angspi, thank you for listing those tubes, maybe I need it in the future.
Sure, no problem, just drop me a pm if you're interested or I'll let you know if/when I decide to put them up for sale!

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #9,717 of 11,833
Espct the new version of the software feature a special feature that you have to turn on in the options if you're using a smartphone it makes all the smart people show up on your screen Unfortunately they haven't got to work around to show your picture yet! But it's not a problem I'll just tell him see you in St Louis

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #9,718 of 11,833
I'm looking forward to it. Got my hands on some RCA 7N7's today and find them quite impressive.

Also I included my experience at the Feliks booth in my Can Jam impressions video.

Hi Aornic.

First, I must congratulate you on your very interesting video...especially (of course! :wink:) your positive impressions of the Elise and Euforia, given the constraints of such venues. My thanks - along with those of Feliks-Audio - go to you for your genuine appraisal. I'm sure I speak for us all when I say that I really look forward to when you are able to give them both further testing in your own more "conducive" environment. I think you will then be even more impressed - especially with what Euforia can deliver when the rest of the system is upgraded. My Naim UnitiCore as source took this amp to another level entirely...as do top flight NOS tubes.

Secondly, I wish I had been there to meet you when you were enjoying your time at the F-A stand!...perhaps next time, hopefully...

As an adjunct to your own post on the venue - and the links @angpsi so helpfully provided - may I show here just one of the photos I took of the Feliks brothers...my main post is over at the Euforia thread (page 235), and I don't want to fall foul of the "double posting" rule!! ..........:

P1000906.JPG

That's Lukasz far right, with his wife and brothers Michal and Piotrek.

More pics on the Euforia post...please look in guys!! :L3000:.....CHEERS!....CJ

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #9,719 of 11,833
Hi Aornic.

First, I must congratulate you on your very interesting video...especially (of course! :wink:) your positive impressions of the Elise and Euforia, given the constraints of such venues. My thanks - along with those of Feliks-Audio - go to you for your genuine appraisal. I'm sure I speak for us all when I say that I really look forward to when you are able to give them both further testing in your own more "conducive" environment. I think you will then be even more impressed - especially with what Euforia can deliver when the rest of the system is upgraded. My Naim UnitiCore as source took this amp to another level entirely...as do top flight NOS tubes.

Secondly, I wish I had been there to meet you when you were enjoying your time at the F-A stand!...perhaps next time, hopefully...

As an adjunct to your own post on the venue - and the links @angpsi so helpfully provided - may I show here just one of the photos I took of the Feliks brothers...my main post is over at the Euforia thread (page 235), and I don't want to fall foul of the "double posting" rule!! ..........:

That's Lukasz far right, with his wife and brothers Michal and Piotrek.

More pics on the Euforia post...please look in guys!! :L3000:.....CHEERS!....CJ
Thank you. If you attend the Indulgence shows in September, you will see me there running a booth for Venture Electronics and ZMF Headphones.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #9,720 of 11,833
Thank you. If you attend the Indulgence shows in September, you will see me there running a booth for Venture Electronics and ZMF Headphones.

Hi again, A...will certainly look into those shows - don't know much about them alas!

Interesting that you mentioned ZMF Headphones...I was mightily impressed with how well the Eikon, especially, mated with the F-A amps. I wasn't able to try them with Elise, unfortunately, but they sounded extremely good with Euforia. To my ears, their delivery was similar in many ways to my beloved T1s. They are also beautifully constructed... but for me, alas, a tad on the heavy side. I'm also well addicted to open cans, but if one's preference is for closed, these must surely be on everyone's list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back