Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Mar 25, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #91 of 358
As the Explorer is meant as a portable device, I would expect it to perform well with what people use on the go, mainly IEM's. My collection is mostly mid-sensitivity, typical low impedance of IEM's, but not drastically so. So I have a hard time gauging if I'll have hiss or not. I hope that on most of my IEM's I wont. I have a Shanling M3 that is hiss free and can power darn near anything. I also own a USD 39 Sansa Clip plus that is hiss free with everything I own, so I would hope and expect the Explorer could equal or exceed that. Anyway mild hiss between tracks I can live with. Software or UI glitches can be fixed, provided the effort is made to do so, although after all the delays this could have been further tested and improved. Still, as long as the issues are addressed in a timely manner, that is fine. I am concerned about the WiFi issues, and hope they address this before they release any more players, as I believe this is a hardware issue, that would require repair or replacement of current units. Also pops and noises when switching tracks is really not typical of high end units. In fact I've never experienced this on any device, from multi thousand dollar home stereo units to 39 dollar cheap portable players.

No, vrapan, you don't come across as a cheerleader as some others do, and I know from private discussions, you're knowledgeable and not partial. As I've read the descriptions of the player's performance in the hands of early owners, it's disappointing in light of the glowing promises of EB,so I do hope it can be improved. Not one review has been posted in the weeks since the player has been released in the face of enormous anticipation, and that says something to me. I was truly surprised by the number of issues on the first round of players, so my hopes and expectations are kept in check. Please Echobox, prove my doubts wrong.

I am glad that you are pleased with the player overall, vrapan. I do think it needs to improve significantly though in light of one particular streaming player that is much less expensive than the Explorer's retail price, has full Google Play Service capability, and has gotten four firmware upgrades to address bugs in about the same amount of time that has passed since the first round of Explorers were released, and most of its software issues have been resolved.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #92 of 358
As the Explorer is meant as a portable device, I would expect it to perform well with what people use on the go, mainly IEM's. My collection is mostly mid-sensitivity, typical low impedance of IEM's, but not drastically so. So I have a hard time gauging if I'll have hiss or not. I hope that on most of my IEM's I wont. I have a Shanling M3 that is hiss free and can power darn near anything. I also own a USD 39 Sansa Clip plus that is hiss free with everything I own, so I would hope and expect the Explorer could equal or exceed that. Anyway mild hiss between tracks I can live with. Software or UI glitches can be fixed, provided the effort is made to do so, although after all the delays this could have been further tested and improved. Still, as long as the issues are addressed in a timely manner, that is fine. I am concerned about the WiFi issues, and hope they address this before they release any more players, as I believe this is a hardware issue, that would require repair or replacement of current units. Also pops and noises when switching tracks is really not typical of high end units. In fact I've never experienced this on any device, from multi thousand dollar home stereo units to 39 dollar cheap portable players.

No, vrapan, you don't come across as a cheerleader as some others do, and I know from private discussions, you're knowledgeable and not partial. As I've read the descriptions of the player's performance in the hands of early owners, it's disappointing in light of the glowing promises of EB,so I do hope it can be improved. Not one review has been posted in the weeks since the player has been released in the face of enormous anticipation, and that says something to me. I was truly surprised by the number of issues on the first round of players, so my hopes and expectations are kept in check. Please Echobox, prove my doubts wrong.

I am glad that you are pleased with the player overall, vrapan. I do think it needs to improve significantly though in light of one particular streaming player that is much less expensive than the Explorer's retail price, has full Google Play Service capability, and has gotten four firmware upgrades to address bugs in about the same amount of time that has passed since the first round of Explorers were released, and most of its software issues have been resolved.
I agree with this on all points. For as much as I want to like the Explorer, it hasn't proved its worth in day to day use. that said, Im still optimistic that EB will have some fixes for us. Hopefully sometime soon

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #93 of 358
We unfortunately do not have a partnership with Spotify, so are unable to offer the app pre installed on our device and are also unable to support it or guarantee that it will work. I do know that I have Spotify loaded on to my Explorer, and it works just fine, including offline storage to both internal and SD :)

TIDAL also works very smoothly on every single Explorer we have, both internal and SD storage, and streaming / downloading offline content, provided you have a strong network, works great as well. :)

This is all great news :)
I have a fairly cheap Wi-Fi setup, but that's ok, as I'll be using it to download playlists mostly anyway.

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #94 of 358
Just got my Echobox and it's everything I hoped and more. Sounds amazing with my Meze 99 Classics. Nice full sound with clear mids and crisp vocals as well as kicking lows that don't overpower. I also have a pair of 1More triple drivers that I had not been super blown away by....until I paired them with the Echobox. Wow do they bring those little guys alive! Listening to both Tidal and files imported from my computer sound excellent. Had no problem loading Spotify and streaming over WiFi has been mostly issue free. I'm a relative newbie to HiFi but I have to say for the price I've been blown away. Not to mention it looks exquisite...

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #96 of 358
Cool :)
I hope this means that there are more which have been shipped out.

What's the current sit-rep @makethemusic
?

Actually, I hope more haven't shipped. Software and hardware problems need to be resolved before anything more goes out, in my opinion. No firmware updates have been released to address these issues, while competitors have issued at least four in the same timeframe, and hardware issues are much more difficult. And there are lots of shows going on, those are pretty high on the EB priority list. I really doubt anything more has gone into production, and I hope that is correct, for the sake of EB and all their customers and backers.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #97 of 358
ANNOUNCEMENT:

For anyone who will be attending CanJam SoCal, we will be hosting an open discussion Q/A forum regarding anything and everything Echobox related, from the Explorer to our new products in development. The forum will be held in the Olympic 1 Ballroom, just off the main event hall, and will take place on Sunday Morning (April 9) from 10:30am - 11:30am.

We encourage anyone who is interested to attend, as this is the perfect opportunity to lay all of your questions on the table in an honest and judgement free environment. No questions are off limits!

We hope to see you all there :)

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #98 of 358
For those of us unable to travel to SoCal, how about an update on when we can expect to see our Explorers?
Are units currently shipping or not?
None of this is clear to me, and I'd like to be brought up to speed please.

@Melanie Litton seems to have recently received her unit, and is "blown away" by it, when can the rest of your backers expect to enjoy the same experience? (I'm glad you like it Melanie, any chance of some pic's?, what wood did you choose?)

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #99 of 358
I'm going to send Sam another email to follow up my last, but I'll just say I've had some serious troubles with my player that are beyond what I've already listed here. It's been 9 days since my last email. I'll give Sam a couple to respond to this one, as I've still not heard back on the last one. This email, not HeadFi message. The player is one of the best sounding I've heard in a while, but it has some engineering and software issues. There was supposed to be a firmware update last week. We're still waiting for that.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #100 of 358
I just ran a few tests with my Explorer. I do not hear any clicking of the unit while it is idle on my desk. This is with either UAPP or Tidal paused and the screen turned off with headphones plugged in charging and not charging. The only clicks I hear are when first powering up (form unit and through headphones), or just in the headphones when skipping forward or back with the skip forward function between tracks. Nothing during normal play and when the track changes on its own from one song to the nest in the queue.

As for the Tidal app it does seem a little slow loading and searching compared to the app on my Note 3 (3Gig of ram) and the app on my Pixel C (8core 3Gig ram). Is the RAM the issue or the incarnation of the app or the hardware or the wireless implementation??? These are rhetorical questions…take them for what they are, speculations of a non EE engineer.

This being said, I am really enjoying the player.  I have been using it at work and on trips for the last few weeks and it has been sounding very good. Even the slight hiss with my Roxannes does not show up all the time that I notice or really care about. The slight noise/hiss is only slightly noticeable now with high sensitivity phones in Tidal.

So the upshot for me is this is a win so far, the only issues that need focus, as far as I am concerned, are the clicks when skipping forward/back and the time losing its setting. The noise I can see some needing fixed, but my unit must not be as pronounced as others.

It also makes for a good hand-warmer in the jacket pocket when I walk to work. J

As always YMMV, IMO, etc etc.

Hope this make sense.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #101 of 358
For everyone who can't attend the meeting during SoCal CanJam, we will b broadcasting it live on Facebook and also posting it to YouTube after the fact. I will make sure the link ends up here :)

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #102 of 358
Anyone else getting this error?

Comes up on boot. Not every time, though. Can just hit "OK" and unit seems to function fine after that.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #103 of 358
I'm going to send Sam another email to follow up my last, but I'll just say I've had some serious troubles with my player that are beyond what I've already listed here. It's been 9 days since my last email. I'll give Sam a couple to respond to this one, as I've still not heard back on the last one. This email, not HeadFi message. The player is one of the best sounding I've heard in a while, but it has some engineering and software issues. There was supposed to be a firmware update last week. We're still waiting for that.

I believe Sam has already apologised for the delay in replying as they are travelling a lot and have not been home in a while..

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #104 of 358
I believe Sam has already apologised for the delay in replying as they are travelling a lot and have not been home in a while..

Always worth apologizing again. For any who have been trying to get in touch with me, my sincere apologies on the delay in my response. I have quite literally been around the world (twice) the last month, working with our network of dealer and distribution accounts to prepare for the upcoming official launch of the Explorer (June 19) and also attending trade shows, such as CanJam Singapore and the HiFi Festival in Jakarta, Indonesia. I do admit as well that I did take 2 days of vacation in Bali with my new Fiance to celebrate our engagement, at which time I turned my phone off for the first time in the last 2 years...any way for that one I can say "sorry, not sorry"? :wink: 

In all seriousness, though, I'm very sorry for not responding quickly, and will be working diligently on getting a response to everyone who has reached out to us. Thank you for your patience and support, and let me know if you need anything! :) 

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #105 of 358
So, a question I have. For apps like tidal can we just download the latest APK and just side load it? Or do we need a specific Echobox Explorer version for them to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back